Menu

Math Conundrum

So here is my dilemma.

DD has been through A Beka math through 3rd grade, Then we switched to MUS and she has done (or will have done) half of Delta, Epsilon, and Zeta.

I want to switch to Singapore because I am concerned that MUS is not enough in the upper grades. We have started 5B to learn the teaching style on somewhat familiar concepts. We did the same with MUS which is why she did half of Delta.

If I continue with MUS she will be in Pre-algebra next year(7th). If I continue with Singapore 6 A/B based on the table of contents she will be covering topics that she has already done and this kid hates excess review in math hence the switch to MUS in the first place. She is hungry for new concepts and retains well. She knows she has to do some review and does it without complaining.

Added drama is that she really likes MUS and does not like Singapore but I think that is because it is new and she is having to learn a new teaching style.

Not sure which direction to go. Let well enough be with MUS or continue with Singapore. I do like AoPS for Pre-algebra . It seems to to be written to the student similar to Apologia.

Thoughts: I'd be careful about judging topic coverage by the table of contents. Depth is a different animal.

I think you should decide what secondary math program you are aiming for. If you plan on the Singapore DM series, then maybe it makes sense to switch at this point; I have no idea how much the bar method of word problem solving is used after equations are introduced. If you are not planning on using the Singapore DM series, it doesn't necessarily make sense to switch entirely at this juncture.

If you are shooting for AoPS Prealgebra, you can start that after SM 5B. Realize that it is a very challenging program on purpose, written for top students, with a depth that is hard to find elsewhere (again, don't judge just by a table of contents). If it turns out to be a bad fit, it may be helpful to have a backup plan.

If you continue with MUS in the meantime but not SM, consider adding in just the Singapore CWP or IP books for practice with problem solving. My rough understanding of the MUS sequence is that MUS prealgebra contains material typically introduced earlier in other programs, such that skipping out before MUS Prealgebra might leave holes - that would be something to look into. I don't know much about it.

Since you asked.... I would continue with MUS thru pre-algebra because it is working well. Then look at changing to a different publisher in 8th grade for Algebra 1. There are quite a few really good Alg books that get mentioned on these forums quite a bit and Algebra is a good place to "jump off" so to speak.

MUS is a fine elementary program and if she is doing well and retaining the material, then she will be well prepared for Algebra. I personally don't like the higher level books (Algebra and up), but there are folks on the high school boards to have used them very successfully.

FTR: neither of my two mathy kids liked Singapore at all. Its a good program, but not the only one.

Thank you so much for your input. I think I was putting the cart before the horse with worrying that MUS would not be enough. Since the S&S is so unique I was having a hard time comparing and contrasting with other programs.

I think I can let her finish up through Pre-A with MUS and switch for Algebra.

Thoughts: I'd be careful about judging topic coverage by the table of contents. Depth is a different animal.

I think you should decide what secondary math program you are aiming for. If you plan on the Singapore DM series, then maybe it makes sense to switch at this point; I have no idea how much the bar method of word problem solving is used after equations are introduced. If you are not planning on using the Singapore DM series, it doesn't necessarily make sense to switch entirely at this juncture.

If you are shooting for AoPS Prealgebra, you can start that after SM 5B. Realize that it is a very challenging program on purpose, written for top students, with a depth that is hard to find elsewhere (again, don't judge just by a table of contents). If it turns out to be a bad fit, it may be helpful to have a backup plan.

If you continue with MUS in the meantime but not SM, consider adding in just the Singapore CWP or IP books for practice with problem solving. My rough understanding of the MUS sequence is that MUS prealgebra contains material typically introduced earlier in other programs, such that skipping out before MUS Prealgebra might leave holes - that would be something to look into. I don't know much about it.

:iagree: with all of this.

If you are sticking with MUS, I would do their prealgebra; it includes lots of "leftover" topics which would normally be sprinkled throughout the grade levels in a more traditional program. You could still try the AoPS prealgebra after MUS prealgebra — they are very different in their approach to math and their level of challenge.

Jackie