Menu

The purpose of the logic stage is to learn to....read directions

That's the conclusion I've come to, now nearing the end of my second year of teaching logic stage students.

I could state it with better ed-speak and a nod to personal responsibility and other character ideals, but essentially, my dc need to learn to a) read and follow the directions in WWS and

B) read and make effort to comprehend the teaching in Foerster Algebra and LIfe of Fred

When they ask me for help, 99% of the time, all I can really do for them is to REREAD THE GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS. I don't have any more information than they have.

Thank you for listening.

I came to that conclusion, too. I felt awful about it until my son's friends began 8th grade and I kept overhearing their complaints as I drove them places. I even wrote a post about it years back. It helped to rewrite the directions in checklist form and tell them I was going to check and see if they had checked off all the boxes. Of course, I had to add in things that the directions didn't think to include, like "orient the paper with the big margin at the top and the holes on the left before you begin writing". Sigh.

Nan