Menu

Where to live around Texas Children's Hospital, Houston or suburb?

sandalwood

My sister is thinking of moving to Houston to work at Texas Children's Hospital. She knows *nothing* about Houston.

Can anyone recommend an area to start looking that is safe that wouldn't be a terrible commute?

Safety trumps budget in this case. She doesn't really have debt, so safety is trumping the budget.

Any helpful places to start? Apt. or condo you know of?

THANKS!

She needs to either live inside the loop where Rice and the medical centers are located or commute to the suburbs. Katy, Spring, Pearland. Traffic is a bear. I would suggest staying in a longterm hotel for a week or two and driving in Houston traffic for a week or two before really deciding on a location. Good luck!

I grew up in Katy and my mom lives in LaPorte. I'd live in either (well, actually, I probably wouldn't move back to Katy, but not for any reason that would affect your sister). However, the commute would be fairly significant from either. And the traffic in Houston really is something else. I grew up there, learned to drive there, etc and still do not drive when we go to visit. We switch by Conroe and hubby does the rest. Seriously, ick!

I know nothing about IN Houston so I can't help there.

I live in Katy and go to the Medical Center quite often.

I love living in Katy. I think that inside the loop is too expensive.

Although, after Adrian moves out and the kids move out, I can see myself living there. I love the Montrose area.

• 1 year later...

Agree with the idea that she rent a hotel and stay in the area for a bit before committing to a place to live.  Different areas have a different feel and prices near where she will be working are high.  Traffic is horrendous, though, especially at rush hour, if commuting outside where she might be working.  Just absolutely awful.  If she is coming from another big city she can probably do fine.  If not, it may be a shock.

TCH is likely to be a long commute unless she's living pretty close.  I agree that areas around Rice are your best bet, but they will also be very expensive.  If she decides to commute in from the suburbs, I think the 59 commute from Sugar Land is easier than the I-10 commute in from Katy, although living in south Katy/north Richmond and coming in the Westpark Tollway might not be bad?  I am not familiar enough with the 288 commute in from Pearland, but it might be OK.  There is a new-ish toll road coming in from Missouri City (just southeast of Sugar Land) that gives that little suburb a pretty decent commute into the med center.  I rarely hear Mo City mentioned when people discuss the suburbs of Houston, but it's a nice community! Like Sugar Land, it's one of the more diverse, which I personally like.  Regardless, the more northern suburbs (Cypress, Spring, The Woodlands) are going to be MUCH worse commutes because the med center is on the south side of downtown. Best wishes! 

Sugarland area -- along 59 route may be your best bet. Exit at Rice University which is v. close to med. center. Some people who work in medical center/Rice live south of loop 610 (south of medical center) but I'm not sure where. If the working hour is slightly flexible (i.e. you don't have to be on the road between 7-8), then living in south katy (close to Westpark tollway) is feasible. Take the westpark tollway, exit at 59 and then exit at Rice. Westpark tollway is super terrible between 6.30- just over 8 (plus you have to pay the toll). But if you can go just after 8, then it's better - and you can be at the medical center by 9-ish.

:zombiechase:  :zombiechase:  :zombiechase:

This thread is a zombie, but I like the Missouri City idea, so I'll chime in anyway. T's played tennis there and they have AWESOME public courts. If that's a reflection of town services, the place is a gem. If it's just that the mayor plays tennis, then ignore this comment.

:zombiechase:  :zombiechase:  :zombiechase:

This thread is a zombie, but I like the Missouri City idea, so I'll chime in anyway. T's played tennis there and they have AWESOME public courts. If that's a reflection of town services, the place is a gem. If it's just that the mayor plays tennis, then ignore this comment.

ack! I hate that I didn't notice the original thread date. so embarrassing…