Menu

Remember Eight Belles the Kentucky Derby horse...

I remember we had a good discussion shortly after the Kentucky Derby about Eight Belles and I thought some of you might be interested in what I read recently.

The owner of Eight Belles has had wristbands made with Eight Belles name on the, with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Midatlantic Horse Rescue in Maryland a charity that buys slaughter bound ex-racehorses and adopts them out to good homes (horsehats.com/EightBelles.html).

Additionally, Churchill Downs Inc., announced that the horses remains will be buried at the base of a tree in the Kentucky Derby Museum's courtyard. The track will also ring eight bells as part of the 2009 Kentucky Derby ceremony.

Also, Thoroughbred Charities of America has established the Eight Belles Memorial Fund. They, together with Eight Belles' owner and Churchill Downs Foundation will each be donating $25,000 toward continuing research into racehorse injuries and retraining of retired Throroughbreds for second careers.

I also found it interesting to read in the article that before Eight Belles injury/death, the last breakdown in the Kentucky Derby was 75 years ago.

Source: Horse Illustrated August 2008

This is very comforting to me being an extreme animal lover. That was such a tragic incident and it was sad to me to see people celebrating victory when a beautiful creature lost its life at that same moment.

It is good to know that people in that industry truly care about these animals that depend on the kindness of their owners.

Thanks for the uplifting info!

Thanks for sharing that, it really makes me feel better about the whole thing. My sister and I watch the triple crown races almost every year, since we were kids. This year I missed it, and in retrospect I'm glad, it was too sad. I feel so good knowing that the people involved are making some silver linings.