Menu

Ancestry DNA test?

treestarfae

We used Family Tree DNA for ours. We wanted at least 64 markers - not sure how many they test on the one you linked. We also wanted to do the mitochondrial testing. Great experience. And we have connected with so many great people as a result, and learned so much! They provide maps and charts, and an ongoing database with updates every time someone new matches up with you - if you choose that option. It is fascinating.

My kids and I did 23andme. It is amazing! We each have close to 1k cousin matches. It is only $99 and does health as well as ancestry. Warning it may bring surprises. We have some genetic skeletons in our closet. Health and ancestors wise. My husbands Mother's family loves to talk about their American Indian heritage. I had seen pictures of these people and felt they looked more like African American. Sure enough my kids have no trace of Indian. They do have African. My daughter has the most at 5%. DH and kids are all blonde hair blue eyed. We thought it was pretty awesome to find out but not all of DH's family felt the same way :(