Menu

Shampoo for thick curly hair?

dbmamaz

I'm looking for help finding a new shampoo!

Now, I am NOT interested in going no-poo. I'm 47 and my hair is still thick, wavy/curly, oily and the top and dry at the ends.

When I was a teen I used shampoo for oily hair

Later I did well with moisturizing shampoos, like Aussie moist

A few years, a stylist suggested matrix curl life, which was like a miracle for my hair! My local stores no longer carry it. I see amazon has the shampoo, but not the intense conditioner, which was what I used daily

Most recently I'm using frizz Ease smooth start . . . But the bottle keeps leaking, and it's just ok.

So, I want something I can find easily (or maybe order on line I guess) that will keep my hair soft and smooth and still let it curl, providing a lot of moisture.

Anyone have a suggestion?!

Is using an all-natural shampoo bar considered no-poo? My hair sounds very similar to yours. I use a Liggett's shampoo bar: http://www.jrliggett.com/ My scalp was always oily and gross and my ends dry until I got away from traditional, surfactant-based shampoos. I did let my hair and scalp "normalize" and did not wash for about a week and a half (yes, that can be gross; I suggest baby powder for the roots to soak up excess oil). Now I wash about every 5-7 days. I wash very well with the bar and apply a bit of conditioner only to the ends. I don't need to wash any more frequently, unless for some reason I do something with my hair that involves a bunch of styling products, which is rare; my hair is so much less frizzy and so much happier that I can now get away with just letting it air dry (instead of forcing it into submission with bunch of gunk).

I like the hydrating Pureology line. It's expensive but lasts a long time.

I love Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Keratin treatment shampoo/intensive conditioner. It's in black bottles. That has worked the best for my hair out of the many, many products I have tried. I thought Pureology was the best for my hair until I tried the above.

If you really love the Matrix, I would ask your local stylists. They may be able to special order it for you.

I got a Keratin application treatment once, it was heavenly on my hair. Too expensive to do on a regular basis, but was so nice while it lasted.

I have similar hair and love this shampoo. Once I knew I liked it I found it in a gallon size and it's even cheaper. The ingredients are natural and I like the smell too. I use conditioners from the same brand and they have al been very nice too.

http://www.iherb.com...-oz-250-ml/6398

I think that might be the brand i got for my daughter at whole foods for a while? she had the tea-tree shampoo, and she used to say "I'm not religious, but that shampoo is like being kissed by jesus" ;)

I use the Walgreens BioInfusion sulfate-free shampoo and TRESemme Naturals conditioner.

I've been doing lo-poo rather than no-poo ever since I had a Deva cut last fall. I shampoo my hair every few days or every other day when needed. When I'm in the shower, I use a shower comb and a lot of conditioner, most of which I do not rinse out, then flip my head over and scrunch in some LA Looks curly gel while it's still soaking wet. I use a T-shirt or microfiber wrap to "plop" my hair—not a regular towel—and let it air dry.

I have similar hair and love this shampoo. Once I knew I liked it I found it in a gallon size and it's even cheaper. The ingredients are natural and I like the smell too. I use conditioners from the same brand and they have al been very nice too.

http://www.iherb.com...-oz-250-ml/6398

They carry this at our Randall's grocery store (part of the Safeway chain).

wow, so many great ideas! thank you ladies! i felt guilty posting this on a homeschool board, but this is the widest net I could cast for this info!!

I am currently only washing my hair every 3rd day because i'm recovering from knee surgery and just dont want to spend so much time standing in the shower - but its SOOO greasy by the third day! I leave it in a french braid for the first two days, but still, eww! i had such greasy hair in high school, i washed it in the morning and it was wet-looking by the time i got home from school. So i'm not really up for trying no-poo. And i know the right shampoo/conditioner makes my hair really happy!

I'm probably going to make a big list and be trying new shampoos for a year!

:thumbup:

For about 18 years, I was addicted to Aveda's shampoo and intense ($50/bottle) conditioner. Anything else and my thick, dry, wavy hair was a DISASTER.

Then, I randomly bought some Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo & Conditioner at Sam's one year for our beach trip. It actually worked GREAT!

So, I happily adopted this cheap shampoo and conditioner!

http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/B000E0I5IK

Give it a try. It's cheap, available everywhere, and works great for my very demanding hair!

I just purchased Suave Keratin shampoo and I cannot believe how well it works. My hair is frizzy if I let it air dry, or if I blow it dry. I have to flat iron it if I don't want frizzies. With this shampoo I can get away without the flat iron. And it is less than $5 a bottle.

My dd has long thick curly hair. She uses Infusium 23 Frizz Controler shampoo and conditioner. They have other formulas for other hair types, but she finds this one takes out the frizz without taking out the curl. It's a little hard to find in the Frizz Controler formula. Target used to sell it but now I have a hard time finding the Frizz Controler formula there. I've seen it in Walmart and I've even ordered it online.

but its SOOO greasy by the third day!

My hair is super thick and curly. No Poo did not work for me, and I've read bloggers say the same about their curly hair.

I do best when I only wash about every 4 days. At first my hair seemed greasy, but then it stopped producing as much oil. I rinse it and kind of 'scrub' with my fingers, and condition. Sometimes I even use conditioner instead of shampoo.

This incidentally is the "Curly Girl Method" I read about in the book. It works for me. It really doesn't matter what shampoo I use... generally I grab a bottle of anything at Trader Joe's. The trick is to only use it once every several days.

Carrie