Menu

Boggle in different languages

cathmom

I found this game called Ruzzle that is like boggle and you can play it in many languages, including all the ones I know/am studying. I've been playing it all weekend lol!

That's intriguing.

Does it have directions for putting in the right ratios of letters for each each language?

Nan

I'm guessing that what she means is that each language has their own "mathematics" of how often letters appear. In english, for instance, everyone knows E, S, T, N are all common letters. But you can actually break down "common" english as to what percentage of letters used in "common" english are most likely to be E, S, T, etc. (i.e., the frequency distribution of letters in english text). So when playing word games in English, usually there are more of the most "common" letters, and less of things like z, q, etc.

In other languages, however, the frequency distributions are almost certainly different, and it would make sense to have more and less of different letters.

No idea about that. Once playing in Swedish there was the a with the umlaut as one of the letters, but I haven't seen any while playing in German, and the Spanish seems to ignore accents. I also haven't seen the "n" with the tilde in the Spanish. There seem to be comparable numbers of possible words in the various languages I've tried.

It's helped me to solidify how words should be formed in Swedish even if I don't know what they mean!