Menu

7/29 exercise log (run/bike/swim/etc)

Hi ladies,

I ran this morning and got to experience the undisclosed joy of a Nike+. At the end of the run, Joan Benoit Samuelson came on and told me I clocked a new personal best mile time. I didn't think my first mile ended up that good. It did feel quick in the beginning, but I slowed down, way down I thought.

I was expecting the message to say that I went the farthest distance. I did 3.17 in 33:??, a 10:29 pace. Maybe I'm not as slow as I thought!

How was your jaunt today?

ETA: It's not always Joan Benoit Samuelson. I've also gotten words of encouragement from Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods.

On my bike! :) It felt good to do a longer ride, but my time wasn't that great: 53 minutes. I was thinking I could do it in 45. It must have been all those stoplights I had to go through in order to get out to the country! ;)

Then I came home and finished up with Pilates. I LOVE doing that. It is so relaxing and the stretching part feels so good!

I have never gone that far on the bike. My rear would be sore for hours!

BUT... I ordered new running shoes yesterdaya nd hope that will take care of shin splits and back pain. Maybe the new bike dh ordered for me last night will actually fit me and will take care of some other things. There's hoping, right? :-)

C25k week 6, day 1... 23 minuets of intervals. It is such a beautiful morning, I really enjoyed my run today. I can feel myself getting a little faster, which is exciting.

I was just looking at Nike+ the other day - I think I want one! Do have Nike sneakers, or did you find another way to attach the sensor?

I have never gone that far on the bike. My rear would be sore for hours!

Maybe the new bike dh ordered for me last night will actually fit me and will take care of some other things. There's hoping, right? :-)

My rear still gets sore, but I'm more used to it than when I first started biking! And, yes, you need a frame that will fit you! That is soo important when picking out a bike! Hope you like it!:)

I woke up early today, which is a good thing because when I went out the door at 7am, it was already 80 degrees. Yuck. I tried a different route today which unfortunately included some concrete. Another yuck. Anyway, I was supposed to do 25 minutes again. I got the first 20 done and then ended up walking probably half of the last 5. It wasn't too bad, but I was hoping for better.

And here is a question for today - do you run alone or with someone? I started out running alone but dh decided he wanted to do it too so he goes with me now. I hate to say it, but I really prefer to go by myself. He likes to talk. I like to think.

On my bike! :) It felt good to do a longer ride, but my time wasn't that great: 53 minutes. I was thinking I could do it in 45. It must have been all those stoplights I had to go through in order to get out to the country! ;)

Then I came home and finished up with Pilates. I LOVE doing that. It is so relaxing and the stretching part feels so good!

Okay, you freaked me out when I saw the 14 miles.

Way to go!

And here is a question for today - do you run alone or with someone? I started out running alone but dh decided he wanted to do it too so he goes with me now. I hate to say it, but I really prefer to go by myself. He likes to talk. I like to think.

Way to go! :party:

I go alone most of the time. It is my thinking/meditating/enjoy nature time. But, dh is a biker and we'll go biking together. It used to be once a week before we started the kitchen remodel. :) And, we do talk a little bit when riding, but most of the time I'm following him or he is following me! :)

C25k week 6, day 1... 23 minuets of intervals. It is such a beautiful morning, I really enjoyed my run today. I can feel myself getting a little faster, which is exciting.

I was just looking at Nike+ the other day - I think I want one! Do have Nike sneakers, or did you find another way to attach the sensor?

Good job! I'm just finishing up week 7 of c25k and I miss those intervals. The 25 minutes straight is killing me.

As for the Nike +, I posted about it on the 7/27 check in. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=409220#poststop

I thought you had to have Nike+ shoes, but momofkhm posted a link to get a little pouch that attaches to your shoe.

I woke up early today, which is a good thing because when I went out the door at 7am, it was already 80 degrees. Yuck. I tried a different route today which unfortunately included some concrete. Another yuck. Anyway, I was supposed to do 25 minutes again. I got the first 20 done and then ended up walking probably half of the last 5. It wasn't too bad, but I was hoping for better.

I run alone in my neighborhood. There is always someone out walking their dogs, running/jogging/walking leaving for work etc so I feel very safe. I am like you I like to think and somedays I like my music. It's my time and it's the one thing I am selfish with. It would annoy me to run with someone because sometimes I am out the door at 5:30sometimes 6 and sometimes not until 6P. I just want to do my own thing.

I was expecting the message to say that I went the farthest distance. I did 3.17 in 33:??, a 10:29 pace. Maybe I'm not as slow as I thought!

s.

Very good!!! I, too, want one of those!!!

Yea - I did an audible gasp when I saw 14 miles!! Then, I saw it was on your bike and it made more sense! Great ride! Do you use a video for the pilates?

?

Very good!!! It's those awesome days that keep me going!

Ugh. Hot temps. I'm starting to hate those!!!

I NEED to run alone. I did go out with my dad when we visited them this past weekend. He rode his bike, so he was lapping me and slowing as he passed me to talk. I really didn't like it!!! I need to think.

My run was 3 miles and walked 1.5 on the hills.

Great job! We don't have hills here. I'm thinking that if I start running races, I'm going to need to find some to train! Luckily my leg of the marathon relay is flat!

I was going to do a short run this morning, but my 2 yo was up ALL NIGHT!!! I couldn't get my butt out of bed until 7 and it was just too sticky out then. So, I did my strength training/abs video instead. I'll be out again tomorrow.

Good job on the run. Sudden hot weather is hard on the body. It was 73 for me, but that's still hot when you are running!

I run alone with my dog. I need a shirt that says "Does not run well with others". I just can't do it. My dog doesn't complain about my pace. He keeps up very well. He also doesn't run ahead. :tongue_smilie:

It is 6:12 pm. 88 degrees. 47% humidity. I'm goin' out right now for my run.

I hit the ground running this morning (so to speak. hehe). I'm actually looking forward to seeing how I feel running at this time of day. I'm usually a morning runner, on an empty stomach. We'll see how this goes! I'll report back in a few :D

PS We need a runner's smiley!!!

I rode about 6 miles of mountain bike trail today and I felt better than when I ride a lot farther on the road. By the way, for those of you who get a sore hiney, have you checked out getting a different saddle? It worked wonders for me. (But it doesn't make me go faster, darn it.)

I ran 5 miles in the dreary, cool drizzle. Now, I know y'all are going to tell me how hot it is where you are, and how much you'd like to run in cooler temps, but...I'm not going to listen to you.;) Because I do not want to be sitting poolside at the end of July, during my boys' swim lessons, shivering in the dumping rain. And you wouldn't want to either, so there.:tongue_smilie:

On another note, I'm impressed with the cross training so many of you are doing. As you may know, I have serious abdominal/core weakness issues, and Pilates has been recommended to me so many times. I've yet to do it, though, as the nearest classes aren't close enough for me to commit to on a weekly basis. I know it's possible for me to do it at home, but I just wouldn't. I have absolutely zero interest in or drive to do exercise indoors, at home. I commend those of you who follow through on that commitment!

Good job on the 5 miles. Like I said, it's 88 degrees here (well it was an hour ago when I left for my run), and while I'm enjoying cooling off, I would NOT rather be in a cool drizzle. I love running in a nice, gentle rain, but boy do I have trouble running in the cold!!! Kills my lungs.

I did 2 miles in 30 minutes. I'm so pathetically SLOW!!!! I walked probably 1/3 of a mile total. I'm starting to wonder if there is a runner inside of this overweight body of mine or not. My mind is just so weak....I'll be feeling ok, breathing hard but not having trouble with it, I sweat well so I'm cooling as I run, but for some reason I just stop and walk. WHY????? I could just cry. I feel like a total wimp.

I started reading a book about running last night. The guy says he never ran before but one day decided to just go run. He ran about a mile (to a bar) and collapsed. But the next thing ya know, he's running out the door and doing 3 short, quick miles. Guess he's one of those naturals. And I'm thinkin' I'm totally not.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to be doing this, and I plan on continuing. But I think I need more mental training than anything else. I need to start THINKING like a runner: what I eat, how I sleep, who I am. It has to be who I am.

Sorry for rambling. You're the only ones who would understand...

You're doing great DB! Just stick with it! I wouldn't say I'm a natural runner, but I do have a drive to do it, b/c I like it. Yes. I like it. I have been running regularly since I was 17. I'm turning 37 this year, so that makes it 20 years of running. Yeah, there has been times I've stopped, like when I had kids, but I get back into it as soon as I can. So, if for some reason I come across as this is easy, well, I've been doing it for twenty years! I hope it is a little easy for me! But, most of all, I enjoy it! :)

Gah. I feel silly in this company, but I'm going to post anyway.

I'm still struggling with back pain. I have a herniated disc and inflammation in my SI joint. Pain, pain, pain.

I was feeling good a couple of weeks ago, so I walked with my best friend as she participated in the Relay for Life. By mile four I was practically dragging my left leg behind me.

Walking is on hold for a while longer, and running is out of the question.

Instead I'm working on core-strengthening exercises and I completed a full sixty minute session today.

You're doing great DB! Just stick with it! I wouldn't say I'm a natural runner, but I do have a drive to do it, b/c I like it. Yes. I like it. I have been running regularly since I was 17. I'm turning 37 this year, so that makes it 20 years of running. Yeah, there has been times I've stopped, like when I had kids, but I get back into it as soon as I can. So, if for some reason I come across as this is easy, well, I've been doing it for twenty years! I hope it is a little easy for me! But, most of all, I enjoy it! :)
I think that's great Angie! I so WISH I liked running! I WANT to want to run! :) BUT, I don't like it and I don't want to. However, in Jan.-April I was going 60-90 minutes regularly on my treadmill. It has up to a 7% incline, and I was using that, walking fast, going flat partly, and running a little bit sometimes. I felt so good!

So I need to get back to that, and stories like you share inspire me!

I am going to go out soon, because it IS cool and drizzly here. That way I won't get too hot! :001_smile: Course, as Doran and elegantlion know, my hair will be a horrible frizz! But I'll be so happy to get it accomplished!

Thanks for sharing ya'll! I'll mostly be walking--goal is to walk fast and slow and jog a little in intervals for 30 minutes.... SO off I goooooo! :001_huh:

I did 2 miles in 30 minutes. I'm so pathetically SLOW!!!! I walked probably 1/3 of a mile total. I'm starting to wonder if there is a runner inside of this overweight body of mine or not. My mind is just so weak....I'll be feeling ok, breathing hard but not having trouble with it, I sweat well so I'm cooling as I run, but for some reason I just stop and walk. WHY????? I could just cry. I feel like a total wimp.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to be doing this, and I plan on continuing. But I think I need more mental training than anything else. I need to start THINKING like a runner: what I eat, how I sleep, who I am. It has to be who I am.

Donna- 15 minutes per mile is NOT bad!! You are out there getting exercise and moving. How long have you been running? It takes time! And, you're just coming back after an injury.

I remember the day I ran 2 miles without stopping to walk. It took a LONG time to get there (think months!)!! I hadn't been running in 12 years.

I do think that running is a lot of mental training. I know I have to do a lot of self talk NOT to stop and walk during the second mile of my run (and I do still sometimes!). But, you are right - it becomes who you are. I loved it tonight when I was at the store (I picked up a running skirt!) and the woman at the checkout counter says, "Do you play tennis?" I got to answer, "Nope - I'm a runner!" I was SO proud to say that.

Anyway, :grouphug: It's hard to come back after a tough run. We won't let you!!! Soon, you'll be coming back and reporting that you ran the entire 2 miles!!!

Gah. I feel silly in this company, but I'm going to post anyway.

I'm still struggling with back pain. I have a herniated disc and inflammation in my SI joint. Pain, pain, pain.

I was feeling good a couple of weeks ago, so I walked with my best friend as she participated in the Relay for Life. By mile four I was practically dragging my left leg behind me.

Walking is on hold for a while longer, and running is out of the question.

Instead I'm working on core-strengthening exercises and I completed a full sixty minute session today.

60 minutes is awesome!!! I'm so sorry about your back. Is it something that will get better as you strengthen your core?

Thanks for sharing ya'll! I'll mostly be walking--goal is to walk fast and slow and jog a little in intervals for 30 minutes.... SO off I goooooo! :001_huh:

Report back!!! We'll make sure you keep at it! :lol:

Oh - and RUnningirl (sorry I forgot your actual name and I'm too lazy to look it up!) - please keep posting your times! I need something to work toward (in 20 years!!).

I rode about 6 miles of mountain bike trail today and I felt better than when I ride a lot farther on the road. By the way, for those of you who get a sore hiney, have you checked out getting a different saddle? It worked wonders for me. (But it doesn't make me go faster, darn it.)

Great job on the bike!

Yes, I have that extra cushy thing on my seat. I haven't tried a completely different saddle though. Maybe next...

SIR, REPORTING BACK, SIR!!!

I got my dog and we left the house at exactly 6pm. He wanted to jog right off the bat, so I did. Then I knew he'd poop out (pun intended, cuz I always have to stop for him to do that! ;) ), so I went to a walk..... anyway, we went on some trails around our neighborhood and had a lovely walk/jog! And guess what? We went 45 minutes!!! YAHOO!

And guess what else? I wasn't planning on going at all until I read this thread! So thankyou SO much for having this thread and encouraging me to go! I'm very happy right now (even if I AM sweaty and frizzy)! :D

Sorry, Colleen. Maybe I should stop sharing my time. :001_unsure:

Oh, Ang, I'm sorry.:D I was so impressed by your time because to me, it's absolutely GREAT. But I realize that "to me" part is fairly meaningless. So I'd be happy with your time; so what? You're you, I'm me. It just doesn't make sense to compare, but I'm prone to do that. And I've wondered myself if I should mention my pace here or not. On the one hand, most of the time I feel like I'm on the slow side. On the other, my "slow" is a distant dream for some folks, so it seems a bit odd for me to be presenting it in a negative light. I guess in my heart of hearts I want to shy away from sharing my pace so I won't potentially make anyone feel bad. And yet, I do like to talk about the details, particularly after a race. We should all feel comfortable to share whatever we want to here, and I'm sorry if I made you second guess yourself.

Sorry, Colleen. Maybe I should stop sharing my time. :001_unsure:

Oh, Ang, I'm sorry. I was so impressed by your time because to me, it's absolutely GREAT. But I realize that "to me" part is fairly meaningless. So I'd be happy with your time; so what? You're you, I'm me. It just doesn't make sense to compare, but I'm prone to do that. And I've wondered myself if I should mention my pace here or not. On the one hand, most of the time I feel like I'm on the slow side. On the other, my "slow" is a distant dream for some folks, so it seems a bit odd for me to be presenting it in a negative light. I guess in my heart of hearts I want to shy away from sharing my pace so I can avoid the potential of making anyone feel bad. And yet, I do like to talk about the details, particularly after a race. We should all feel comfortable to share whatever we want to here, and I'm sorry if I made you second guess yourself.

SIR, REPORTING BACK, SIR!!!

I got my dog and we left the house at exactly 6pm. He wanted to jog right off the bat, so I did. Then I knew he'd poop out (pun intended, cuz I always have to stop for him to do that! ;) ), so I went to a walk..... anyway, we went on some trails around our neighborhood and had a lovely walk/jog! And guess what? We went 45 minutes!!! YAHOO!

And guess what else? I wasn't planning on going at all until I read this thread! So thankyou SO much for having this thread and encouraging me to go! I'm very happy right now (even if I AM sweaty and frizzy)! :D

Way to go!!!! You're off to a great start!! Now we'll keep after you!