Menu

Dh's bday is tomorrow and I don't know what to do

He already bought himself a present, his dad has already given him a present and I still want to get him something but the present he bought himself is supposed to be from the family, although we didn't have a say.

The presents he has already received are expensive and a bit extravagant. I don't want him to be judged by what he has already got so I'm not sharing that. I just know that I would like to get him a nice coffeemaker that isn't cheap but I feel torn. He says he just wants a cheesecake and that's all but his love language is gifts.

Urgh. I shouldn't spend the money but knowing 'him', I don't know what to do. I sort of feel like I was robbed the opportunity to celebrate his birthday. I'm the one who looks for the special gift and it means a lot to me to give from my heart which I put a lot of thought into.

So, should I get over it and save the money or go ahead and get him something?

You just got back from your parent's house...read your blog...and you guys haven't had much time together, just the two of you (I assume)...especially after a hectic move...what about dropping the kids off somewhere for a few hours, having a quiet dinner and cheesecake for desert? I know that would be more along the lines of "quality time", but he'd also be getting the cheesecake!:001_smile:

Wish I had suggestions for the gift part, but I am sure others will chime in.:001_smile:

Instead of balloons (unless he likes them!) how about something to go w/ the big purchase he got himself...or gift certificate for something to go with it? Or a magazine subscription about it? Something that shows you care & approve...even if you're struggling to do so! :)

I'll just get him the cheesecake, a card and maybe balloons. I can't think of anything else to get him that he'd appreciate. I'll save the coffeemaker idea for Christmas.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could buy or make another special dessert treat along with the cheesecake?