Menu

history documentaries for elementary ... Ruth? and all y'all too :)

I just noticed that Ruth (aka-lewelma) has a third grader (yes, just noticed) and I know she uses documentaries for her history: Button will be in third grade next year, and I would be so so happy to move toward a Ruth-like history of reading, maps, documentaries, and writing assignments as they come from our writing program (IEW).

Do y'all have ideas of good history documentaries for children this young? Button is esp. sensitive, though growing out of it -- his father or I would watch these with him. If they wouldn't traumatize the preschooler either, that's extra credit!

Please do also include documentaries that wouldn't esp. be good for a sensitive child -- I'm going to hope that there are enough responses to warrant this, and put a post onto this thread for each WTM period and update them with resources y'all post. I may not get it all updated until this evening, though, DH & littles are due back from their hike soon.

I'll assume old-earth content, since most documentaries do, and am happy to include young earth videos esp. with notes, so that the young-earth parents can find them easily.

Thanks in advance!

ANCIENTS (documentaries and videos)

How the Earth Made Us (BBC) This is actually an Earth Science suggestion of Ruth's. How planetary forces have shaped human history.

5000 Years of Magnificent Wonders (National Geographic). 6 DVDs: Holy Land, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Seven Wonders, World Wonders Beyond Time (this last includes Stonehenge, the Incan Machu Picchu, the Hindu AngkorWat, Taj Majal, the Great Wall, and Mt. Rushmore)

Secrets of Archaeology. "Take a virtual tour through rediscovered cities and see archaeological sites as their inhabitants saw them centuries ago. Explore the magnificent city of Pompeii, the architectural treasures of the Roman Empire, the legendary city of Troy, the mighty pyramids of the pharaohs and much more in this comprehensive 6 disc collection. "

Ancient Egypt Unearthed (Discovery Channel).

Drive-Thru History. I've linked to Christian Book Distributors for this series, which includes titles about the Holy Land, Ancient Greeks and Romans, and also American History: "This fast-paced and entertaining tour will take you right to the places, people, and events that have shaped the world and Christian faith." Young-earth friendly.

MEDIEVAL/RENAISSANCE (documentaries and videos)

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales (BBC). Each of the individual tales is produced by a different group. so style (and quality) vary considerably. But an excellent resource for Shakespeare play retellings, using much original verse -- not a documentary.

EARLY MODERN (documentaries & videos)

Liberty's Kids: "Emmy and Humanitas Award-nominated 40-episode, animated series about the experiences of two young teens during the American Revolution. Far more than a simple chronicle of the battles and major events of the American Revolution, Liberty’s Kids tells the story of the cultural, scientific, political, and social forces that helped shape America’s fight for independence from the perspective of two young teens from very different backgrounds."

America Rocks (Schoolhouse Rocks): "This program contains catchy songs and sketches that make learning about history fun and easy. Includes "No More Kings," "The Shot Heard Round the World," "Fireworks," "I'm Just a Bill," "Elbow Room" and many more to illustrate American history in a lively and memorable way." The link is to a DVD that also has the grammar, science, money, etc. Schoolhouse videos.

MODERN (documentaries and videos)

Inside Hana's Suitcase. (The delivery of a battered suitcase to Fumiko Ishioka at the Tokyo Holocaust Museum begins the true-life mystery that became the subject of Karen Levine's best-selling book Hana's Suitcase. The suitcase came from the Auschwitz Museum and had Hana Brandy's name painted on it. Larry Weinstein's masterful film follows Fumiko's search to discover the details of Hana's life, which leads to the discovery of her brother George in Toronto. As small children they had been sent to Thereisenstadt for being Jewish after the Nazis invaded Czechoslovakia in 1939.) Probably not before 4th grade?

I pretty much only just noticed Ruth had a third grader too so don't feel too bad.

my oldest child is very sensitive (as in some bits of dora scare him) but my younger seems bullet proof. I haven't found anything that is not too old for them yet so I am watching. I do have a link I saved will put it in.