Menu

If you have had almalgam fillings removed

LadyR

did your health improve in any way? Did you feel better?

Edited to add: I should have been more specific and asked If you had them removed because of mercury concerns, and had them replaced with composite fillings, did you feel that your health changed for the better in any way.

I did not notice a change in my health when they were removed. I'll admit I had lots of them. Apparently they used to fill molars instead of sealing them, in people with deep crevices. :glare:

ETA: I wasn't expecting a change. The fillings were just so old they were starting to become loose.

I guess I've had some of them removed, but only because I needed some other dental work done, not because I wanted them removed. I've never noticed the teeniest bit of difference in my health. The fillings never bothered me when they were in (I've always been healthy), and taking them out didn't do a thing either way.

Had mine all replaced Dec. 2011. They were getting old, but mostly I was hoping it would help the auto-immunes. I've had no problem with the new fillings and much prefer not having that metallic taste, but I haven't seen improvement in my auto-immune diseases...maybe they are not progressing as fast, but no hard evidence here.

My SIL had a weird, extremely itchy, oozy rash on her legs. She went to her regular dr. plus a couple of dermatologists but no one could figure out what it was. They prescribed steroid cream and I don't remember what else. One evening one of her daughters saw a show--60 Minutes or something similar--where they talked about women over 50 having this weird skin rash that looked just like her mom's. It was thought to be caused by...you guessed it...amalgam fillings and when the fillings were replaced, the rash cleared up. She was much better after only two weeks, and it is completely gone now, after over two years of misery.

I did not notice a change in my health when they were removed. I'll admit I had lots of them. Apparently they used to fill molars instead of sealing them, in people with deep crevices. :glare:

ETA: I wasn't expecting a change. The fillings were just so old they were starting to become loose.

:iagree:

My dentist told me that saying there is mercury in amalgam fillings is like saying there is water in concrete.....that it doesn't make a bit of difference. Now y'all have me worried! Yikes.

I don't understand what he meant.

My dentist told me that saying there is mercury in amalgam fillings is like saying there is water in concrete.....that it doesn't make a bit of difference. Now y'all have me worried! Yikes.

That's pretty ridiculous, considering the evidence that the mercury is unstable in the fillings and does affect the thyroid, parathyroid, etc. in animal tests.

I had a lot of health problems after dd was born and as part of trying things to help had all my amalgam fillings changed out to composites with an IAOMT dentist. If you do it, that is the way to do it, because they use precautions (dam, air filter, blah blah). It's hazardous stuff coming out, just not while it's in your mouth, oh yeah.

Anyways, as far as changes, well some people are going to kick stuff out of their system faster than others. How well you chelate and excrete it depends on your mineral and oxygen levels, how well your bowels are moving, etc. You should make sure your bowels are moving before you do it, and you should consume healthful chelators (parsley, salad, supplements, pick your potion).

I did DSM chelation (wow, that was a long time ago! the names are slipping my mind!). It's scary stuff, because some of those stronger chelators can cross the blood-brain barrier. I actually got worse doing that, and personally I think my doctor was an IDIOT. Yes, my memory issues are pretty bad and we joke (only halfway) about me having Alzheimers.

All that is to say if you've had stuff for a long time and AREN'T absorbing minerals well (minerals to chelate the metals) and don't have your bowels moving well, then you're not going to see some rocket, overnight change. We've worked for years and years on my health, slowly and gently since then, with food. Instead of IV chelators and chelator supplements I now use pomegranate juice. The stuff is insanely strong (if you're sensitive), and pretty much it made me as sick pulling stuff out as the IVs did. So then we backed off the pomegranate juice, did another 6 months of salad and organics, then came back to pomegranate juice. It cleans the liver (where the metals dump supposedly if your bowels aren't moving, aren't chelating well, whatever). So there are things like that you can do to help yourself, but changing out the amalgams may or may not make an immediate difference.

If you want a REAL kicker, the nutritionist I've used for years and years (the one who helped me after the regular doc made me sicker than sick) has her amalgams in. Go figure. She eats organic, blah blah, and leaves 'em in. Her theory is she feels fine and eats great, meaning stuff is probably chelating out. It's not like your amalgams are the ONLY source of heavy metals in your life. It's just some people get so worn down that you have to work hard to get well. I wouldn't have them back in *my* mouth, mercy, but that's my body and who I am and what *I* have to do to feel well. If someone else feels just fine with them in, awesome for them. I'm glad mine are out. Oh, and after they were out and I had used the nutritionist a while, I got off thyroid meds. Totally off.

My dentist removed mine just b/c he didn't want them in my mouth anymore. I didn't even know enough to know, at that point, that they might be unhealthy! I was in great health before and have been fine since. However, if you're suffering from symptoms that might be related...get 'em out! :)

My SIL had a weird, extremely itchy, oozy rash on her legs. She went to her regular dr. plus a couple of dermatologists but no one could figure out what it was. They prescribed steroid cream and I don't remember what else. One evening one of her daughters saw a show--60 Minutes or something similar--where they talked about women over 50 having this weird skin rash that looked just like her mom's. It was thought to be caused by...you guessed it...amalgam fillings and when the fillings were replaced, the rash cleared up. She was much better after only two weeks, and it is completely gone now, after over two years of misery.

Oh my goodness! I have had four very old amalgam fillings removed and replaced with porcelain crowns over the last year. I just turned fifty.

The past few years I had been plagued with a rash on my legs like you describe. Itchy to the point of driving me crazy! I even checked for bed bugs, but finally attributed it to hormones and dry skin. But just the other day I was telling my husband how thankful I was that I'd not had that in a while.

Now I'm hearing the Twilight Zone music in my head.... Never would have made the connection...

I had mine replaced, oh, 15 years ago? Just because they were wearing at the edges. No changes in health status, other than I more recently had my thyroid tank and discovered a gluten intolerance. I don't think the two are related, given the decade+ between events.

Excellent post Mrs. Mungo.

I just had one taken out because of breakdown. I have one more huge one that will be done at some point. My regular dentist did it and pooh poohed off the concerns I had about the safety precautions. I went and ahead and did it with him instead of a certified removal dentist because I figured if I'm getting it, so is he and he removes these things all the time. The only problems I deal with are migraines. I eat organic and juice organic and bowels are good so I hope I'm chelating well enough.

How long ago did you get this done? I get bad headaches off the anesthetic shots. Turns out that if you eat organic, blah blah, sometimes you can get away with less of the shots. I always have him start with *1/2* on the shots, and that helps. If it has just been a couple days, that might be the cause. If it has been longer, that's pretty scary. And no, I don't think it's safe for the dentist's. The dentist who did mine died unexpectedly a few years later. I've always wondered if all the metals he was exposed to built up in his system and caused it. No evidence, just saying I wondered.