Menu

Quick poll: On average, how many days a week...

praisefor3

How many days a week do you do formal math instruction/curric with 4th-6th grade dc?  

1. 1. How many days a week do you do formal math instruction/curric with 4th-6th grade dc?

do you do formal math instruction/curriculum with your 4th - 6th grade dc (during your school year)?

5 days a week. Math is one of those core subjects that I feel need to be done every day.

Saxon math we have always done odd or even numbers for a lesson. If they miss more than 2 they do the other half the next day, if they get it, they move on.

Math, Grammar, Spelling and Lit all get priority here. These are the subjects we do "no matter what" each of a 5 day school week. Other subjects tend to fall in place just behind these as far as priority. Occasionally, we do skip a day because we have too many other things to do, but then, we really are just taking a free day altogether at that point. But usually, we get these subs done first thing in the morning and it generally takes until lunchtime.

do you do formal math instruction/curriculum with your 4th - 6th grade dc (during your school year)?

I voted 4 days a week, but felt the need to clarify that we hs year around, so it would probably be closer to 5 days a week on a traditional schedule.

Heather

5 days a week. Math is one of those core subjects that I feel need to be done every day.

Ditto!

We do Singapore Math Monday-Friday. Even on outings and field trip days. We do math before we leave. Other subjects, you can do on the road like reading or listening to Latin CDs, but they need the time to concentrate on math.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My two older girls did their math independently by 4th grade. They came to me only when they didn't understand and that wasn't very often. I went over math with them daily, but I didn't "teach" it unless they didn't understand it.

My youngest is going into 5th grade this year. She still gets daily math instruction. She does not learn independently like my two older girls.