Menu

Greenhouse/starting seeds indoors question.

Remudamom

Everytime I start seeds in those little seed trays they end up getting spindly and die. Last year at the end of the growing season I bought a little greenhouse cabinet type thing. It's small enough that I can put it outside but bring it in if it gets too cold. I'm hoping that if the plants get more sun I'll be more successful. Real? Not real?

Yes, real. I have to start plants inside with a light because we don't get enough hours of daylight early on, but once the days start getting longer, those cute little greenhouse things work like a champ to keep the plants warm while they are out sunbathing.

I have never used a fan on the seedlings. We sprout them in our greenhouse. After they have got their first true leaves they need to be hardened off by putting them outside for a few hours, then plant the next day.

from my limited experience I would say that spindly seedlings have not had enough hours of sunlight a day.

What state are you in? I am in MN. :bored:

I'm in Scotland. The way that heating works in the UK is that you usually have a radiator under the window - the heat rises and then circles back into the room using convection. We live in a cottage with two-foot deep walls. The combination means that the window sill is a warm area with constant light air flow (to reduce damping off).

Laura

Do you leave them in the seed starting trays? Once the sprouts have developed their first set of true leaves, you should be transplanting them to a larger space. That little square of soil will only feed them so long, and their roots will only have so many places to go.

I transplant most of my starts twice before they go in the ground.

You will want to get an inexpensive thermometer to keep in your greenhouse. It's surprising how warm it can get in one of those, so you'll want to keep an eye on it on bright sunny days- you might have to vent it a little so you don't cook your plants.

Long and spindly usually means lack of adequate light. A lot of the sun's rays don't make it through the glass in your house windows. One of the best ways to start seedlings is under shop lights. The lights should be hung six inches above the plants to give them the optimum strength of light they need so they don't become spindly. If you google grow lights, you should be able to find more info. I used to grow plants under shop lights that I just propped up on cinder blocks.

Mine sit in front of my south facing window,right above the baseboard heater, with full sunlight nearly all day long. Spindly has never been an issue for me, but it is a constant battle to keep them watered "just right". I almost always have to water twice a day or risk having them dry out.

If you were to use one the green house shelve thingys, could you keep it outside overnight even if night temps get below freezing? I've tried starting from seed before and it didn't work so great, but this year I'm going to use shop lights. I also bought a green house with the thought of using that during the day when it's warm enough. And then move the plants inside overnight to help cut down on the shop light usage to save on electricity.

If it makes a difference, I'm in Michigan and there's still snow on the ground.

If you were to use one the green house shelve thingys, could you keep it outside overnight even if night temps get below freezing? I've tried starting from seed before and it didn't work so great, but this year I'm going to use shop lights. I also bought a green house with the thought of using that during the day when it's warm enough. And then move the plants inside overnight to help cut down on the shop light usage to save on electricity.

If it makes a difference, I'm in Michigan and there's still snow on the ground.

No, you can't use it with such cold overnight temps. Those little greenhouses won't hold the heat long enough to protect the plants all night long.

don't be nervous, just look on it as an experiment. after one season you will be a pro :thumbup1:

This is my fourth year attempting a garden. The first two years, I got two tomatoes from three plants. Last year, animals ate almost everything on the one plant I attempted. I still don't know what to do about what I am almost sure are deer, and now I'm trying to start from seed, when I didn't even have success with already started plants. :(

I'm in Scotland. The way that heating works in the UK is that you usually have a radiator under the window - the heat rises and then circles back into the room using convection. We live in a cottage with two-foot deep walls. The combination means that the window sill is a warm area with constant light air flow (to reduce damping off).

Laura

I have all of that except windows that are solid enough to keep out cold. :glare:

Leggy seedlings can be a few things.

*Planted too early.

*Not enough light.

-Light placed too high above plants (just being in a room with a general light is not helpful).

-Windows don't allow enough light (very common).

*Planted on time, but need to be transplanted to a larger pot before it can be planted out (tomatoes are like this). Transplant and place deeper...up to the first true leaves...when you do. Sometimes the legginess is growth without the resources (tiny space, not enough dirt) for greater root/leaf growth.

Aside from adequate light, you need to be sure of your soil. When you buy a typical seed starting mix it contains a lot of peat moss which is light for the roots to get a great start, but it dries out quickly and binds on the surface so water sheds over it when you go to water your seedlings. For the past few years I've used a mix called Roots. Don't let the bag put you off. The mix is awesome. My starts have never looked better. Even peppers germinated and grew healthy. My germination rate with Fox Farm was much lower than with roots. I also plant my starts in 1 gal. or 1/2 gal. containers to ensure healthy root development and transplant good sized plants directly into the garden late spring when the garden soil is warm. While planting out perennials this year I used E.B. Stone Sure Start. Wow! Excellent amendment to use when planting out. My perennials are triving.

This is my fourth year attempting a garden. The first two years, I got two tomatoes from three plants. Last year, animals ate almost everything on the one plant I attempted. I still don't know what to do about what I am almost sure are deer, and now I'm trying to start from seed, when I didn't even have success with already started plants. :(

Along with deer, pigs, skunk, birds of all kinds, earwigs and other crawly things--All of these things love to eat gardens. A good fence and a trusty dog will help with the bigger animals.

If it makes you feel any better, DD and I planted 120 strawberry only to come out a week after planting and find half the bed uprooted by a pig(s) moments before. Fortunately, we were able to replant immediately and saved the strawberries. The dog was asleep. DD and I also planted 30' of sweet peas and sheeling peas only to find the birds discovered the seedling poking through the soil. The birds ate everything. We replanted and put a floating row cover over the bed to keep the birds off. Gardening is not always as beautiful as the pictures in Martha Stewart would lead you to believe.