Menu

found money, really

A couple months ago I noticed an article on cnn.com or newseek.com about finding "unclaimed money" -- as in $ that you accidentally left in a closed bank account, tax refund, etc that gets turned over to the state who holds it indefinitely. It caught my eye as free money is wont to do. . .

Anyway, I spent an hour or so one evening clicking around on the below website and finding various supposed unclaimed accounts for me, my dh and my deceased dad. I filled out several unwieldy online state forms even printed and mailed in some hard copies that one state required. Anyway, I'd say I spent 1-2 hours on it and didn't think too much about it after that, as the databases don't give you and indication of how much the $ might be or really what sort of account it was (mainly you're just matching your name, addresses, ssns) . . . well, today we got a check from a state we used to live in. . . for over $1000!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!! It must have been a tax overpayment or something that got lost in our last interstate move. (D%$$^& accountants! WHAT do we pay them for?)

So, anyway, now I have the $$ to pay for my SonLight and Amazon shopping carts for 2008-2009 and I am so excited. So, anyway, I just thought I'd pass along my tip. I hope someone else is helped.

http://www.missingmoney.com/

I know very little about it other than what I've posted. I obviously have not connection to the site. I believe it is a non-profit state funded kind of thing. There are no fees, no accounts, etc. Good luck!

I was always meticulous, so I have little hope of finding money, but it sure is nice of you to pass it on--thanks so much!

LOL, me too and I found money!!!

Turns out I over paid my 10 year old son's birth! They lost me in the two following moves over the following 10 months.

Kris, who is NOT getting more than $100

Missing Money only searches for unclaimed property in 40 states. If you have ever lived in a state that is grayed out in the pull down menu on missing money (New York & California are two big ones) you should check that state' unclaimed property registry separately. Links are available here:

http://www.unclaimed.org/

Oh, and some states are pretty quick to grab your money - California is being sued over this. Apparently if you failed to have contact for more then 3 years your property went to the state. One woman in the lawsuit had safe deposit boxes at the same bank they had a checking account with, and because they did not access their safe deposit box for more then three years the contents were turned over to the state. Scary.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4832471&page=1

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070602/news_1n2property.html

Guest Virginia Dawn
I have a claim for $128. Should I be worried about giving them my SS number?

It looks like the state of Virginia might have some money for us, but they want both dh's and my social security number. It looks legit, but I'm nervous about giving out that info too.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Woo hoo! The State of NC has over 100 dollars for my son-in-law! I'm having to much fun searching on this site.

It looks like the state of Virginia might have some money for us, but they want both dh's and my social security number. It looks legit, but I'm nervous about giving out that info too.

You can go straight through the Virginia state website if you feel comfortable. Or even call the treasurer's office directly.

Don't blame you for not wanting to just hand it out though...