Menu

If I hate co-op, will I hate Classical Conversations?

I've participated in co-op off and on throughout the years (different ones in different states). I've come to hate them.

-I hate how they use up a whole day of schooling (although I KNOW that wouldn't be any different with CC).

-I hate how the classes almost NEVER meet my expectations, either too high or too low. Case in point...high school science class that wasn't doing ANY labs, nor sending home homework (the whole reason I wanted it was for the labs!); high school spanish class that wasn't doing ANY written work (not sure how you could fully grasp without written work, with a once a week class), and homework was very little; lower elementary spanish class that was getting GOBS of homework (come'on, one hour a week in class and 5 worksheets a week at home....a bit overkill!). Then the having to pick classes that my children didn't REALLY want to do, in order to fill in the gaps in the schedule for the day...so out of 3-4 classes, only 1-3 were any they really had interest in.

-I hate having to work in the classrooms...I know, I know...that's the point of co-ops...but I dreaded having to keep the children focused, have them produce something worthwhile in the 55minutes they were in class, wrangle the "more active" ones ( I was usually the assistant in younger elementary classes, not the main teacher). Then there was the lunch duty, the after co-op clean up duty, etc etc...

-I hate the behind the scenes Mama-drama that comes along with a group of women. It happens, it always does to some extent. I don't get involved, but I see it, hear and know about it.

This time last year, as we were nearing the end of the co-op year, I told myself I'd never do co-op again.

Now here I am considering CC. I am familiar with what it is and what they do, I've went to a Open House a few years ago, in a diff state, and looked at them here and there over the years. I like all that their philosophy stands for. It jives with mine, for the most part. I think I could get over the "day taken away from our schooling" part because CC is very academic on it's own. ONE thing that I liked about co-ops, and which we would get from CC, is the friendship factor for my boys...you see the same people every week, and they get to form a friendship. With our park/field trip groups, we often don't see the same families for weeks at a time if our attendance at the same park day doesn't jive. My biggest concern is that the campus I am considering is going to be brand-new, even to the extent that the campus director has not even participated in CC herself (which surprised me because we have about 10 campuses on our general area, and so I thought perhaps she had been with one and then decided to branch out on her own, but no, she's new.). I'm considering this new campus though for two reasons 1. The campuses that are closest to me are full, and the ones that are not are farther than I want to drive...this campus will be close to me too, and 2. As much as the fact that it is new worries me, (that means new teachers too!), I like that fact that it won't already be cliquey....we won't be the "new family"....we'll all be new families to this campus.

Okay, after all that rambling...am I crazy to even consider CC?

I spent a year in a half in a co-op like the kind you described. Ugh. I hated it too. CC has been so much better.... The structure that's in place means that you know what you are getting. You know which academic goals it will accomplish for you. There are no more than 8 in a classroom, so helping in the classroom is totally different than it was in the "co-op." I know this varies by campus, but I feel there is a consistent expectation of respect which helps behavior issues. I have seen behavior issues dealt with very graciously, yet very consistently (I help in my 7 yo's room). In my former co-op behavior issues were rarely dealt with because expectations differed so much from teacher to teacher and everyone felt that if their children couldn't have fun with their friends they wouldn't get to keep homeschooling. (ugh). It's not really a situation where you do homework unless you're in the afternoon Essentials class. From the morning, Foundations class, you decide how much time to spend reviewing memory work, and you will need to prepare a presentation each week. Besides that you can decide how much to build off of your CC day at home, or not. If the composer this week is Handel, you could continue studying Handel at home during the week.... or not, etc.

It has been great for us this year!

I do not know. It will eat up your morning (at least) but unless you are a tutor you don't really do anything. I haven't experienced drama but I'm sure a lot depends on your group. And as far as expectations go you probably just want to assess what yours are for the academic side (good thing is CC shouldn't be full of surprises since the children follow a set outline/course of study) . Maybe take a year off from any involvement and then visit this new CC campus halfway through the year....I would hesitate to commit without getting a 'feel' for the group. HTH!

I've wondered about CC too. We are not co-op people, we've tried. Too many homeschooling families using differing methods to come together cohesively, IMO (for us I mean, as I realize others may have a wonderful co-op experience).

I too like the consistency offered along with strong academics with CC. I'm a little concerned though that participation will dictate what we need to use/focus on at home.

OP, is this a concern of yours at all or are you ok with implementing CC curriculum and assignments the rest of the week too?

While the academic content of CC is good and worthwhile, you will still be expected to wrangle the disruptive kids (unless the CC tutor is excellent which can be hit or miss), help with clean-up, possibly be a playground monitor, and depending on the campus and people who joined, have to deal with adult woman drama. We never had the mom drama on our campus, but all of the rest of the above did apply.

The full day away from home was difficult for us having a 6th grader in the program who had a lot to cram into 4 days. With my younger two it was ok, but my CC weeks felt hectic. Also remember that you will be expected to be in and help in the classroom. It's not just 55 minutes, it's 3 hours. If 55 minutes seems long, try 3 hours.

Beth

I think you should consider CC!

Six years ago I joined a brand new CC group, and the director was brand new to the program, too. It was a fabulous year! It might be really fun to be part of a brand new group. FWIW--CC is one homeschool program that truly uses its time wisely. You may want to consider doing only the morning portion (Foundations). This would keep your afternoon free for some of your own schooling if you wanted. (Although I highly recommend Essentials, too.) CC somehow keeps us motivated to keep chugging through our school year. I love that I can use the material any way I want at home. We can do extra study of the memory work if we want . . . Or if I have other things I want/need to focus on, we can spend a very small amount of time each day reviewing the memory work without any extra study.

CC has been a huge blessing to my family because it is a wonderful source of support and friendships for both me and my boys. I really do think there is something special about being in a weekly program where everyone is learning similar things and experiencing things such as drawing, presentations, art, music appreciation, and science experiments together.

Some moms really would love to just drop their kids off in order to have a little time for themselves, but that's not possible in the Foundations and Essentials programs. But . . . you will find that most of the moms are involved and engaged in the activities of the day. This helps everything to run smoothly.

We really appreciate the social connections we make each week at CC, but we also get so much out of the program academically. My kids do a lot more memory work in CC than they would without the group. I'm forever thankful for the weekly opportunity to give an oral presentation -- and I love that it can be a no pressure situation or something that we can pour quite a bit of effort into if we feel inclined. Some weeks we just don't get to do science experiments and/or art projects at home. So, at the very least, CC provides my kids with some hands-on exposure when we have a hectic week at home.

I also love that I know exactly what to expect at CC each and every week. This could help you feel satisfied with the content of the program. There is a lot of flexibility in Foundations and Essentials.

So . . . If you give a day to CC you will likely receive wonderful support, encouragement and friendship from like-minded families. It will provide a weekly educational, yet enjoyable outing for your kids, and you will STILL be able to maintain control of your homeschool.

Since you're considering a co-op again (after swearing them off) then there must be something that you and/or your kids feel is missing. Maybe Classical Conversations will fill that spot!

We joined CC three years ago - a brand new group and a brand new to CC director. It was a fabulous year and we have a very successful group! CC is a very academic complement to what we do at home and its great being with other families that classically homeschool. We have been involved with all levels foundations to Ch. B so far. We love it!

Has the director been homeschooling for long? Has she been homeschooling classically? How old are her oldest kids that are homeschooled? Those would all be considerations for me with a new group. Our director had already gotten one of her children into college! And I'm pretty sure she was already classically homeschooling. She's phenomenal!

And I think you are spot on as far as the group dynamics - not just for the adults but also for the kids. My oldest has an extremely difficult time fitting in with his peers. But with CC - none of the kids knew each other and the small class aided in a tight community for them. We have a great group!

Yes, beyond the curriculum, a lot will depend on both the director and mix of other people. I've tutored under three different directors at two different campuses, and each set a slightly different tone for the group. And each group was slightly different in terms of their lifestyle outside of CC and what they expected from CC.

One of mine had more problems making friends than the other, and some years were better than others that way. That's a lot harder for kids to deal with than for most adults. I never had a problem finding companions at CC.

That said, what you describe are issues with any group homeschool activity though, but the structure of CC does minimize the majority of them IMHO.