Menu

Children's Books for Kindle or iPad

CrunchyGirl

We are trying to reduce the amount of "stuff" in our house and will be living (and home schooling) in an RV for 9-12 weeks a year. Has anyone found a good source for eBooks for kids? Ideally some sort of online library? I'm trying to keep my kids busy with books and the more books we can find that we can use for school, the better. I don't mind paying for the service (although free would be fantastic).

We just recently purchased the Yesterday's Classics collection when it was on sale for $49.99 (not sure if it still is or what the price is now). It is really a fantastic collection of books. Most of them you can download online too if you don't want to purchase them, although sometimes you sacrifice pictures and formatting with the free version.

Most libraries also have an online source for borrowing books, although I am not completely sure how that works with traveling.

I don't know much about kindle, but for ipad check out the Reading Rainbow app (depending on kids ages). There are a lot of good books - biographies and math books and they are adding national geographic books soon too. It is a free app but requires a subscription to read more than one book. I think it was $25 for 6 months. Both my kids use it (4 and 5). It gives you the choice to read the book yourself or have it read to you. For us it was well worth the $$.

Also check out bookboard. This one is a website that you add as a bookmark to your home screen. Very similar to reading rainbow but there is no read aloud option. I think it is in preview now (free) but looks to be a paid app eventually. It adds new books after every few books you read.

There is another ipad app called Storia by Scholastic. We liked the free books but I couldn't swallow the price of the books beyond that. It could get expensive very quickly.

I think I remember seeing an ad for Kindle freetime (?) that was a monthly fee for unlimited children's content on Kindle but I don't know if that includes books.

Hope something in there helps! We use our iPads for school a lot and I'm always looking for ideas too!

I have Yesterday's Classics, use 3 library systems, and get free books from Kindle. Sometimes I do buy from Amazon.

I use the KIndle Paperwhite and my Android phone. On my phone I use the overdrive app; I can choose and download books all on the phone without the use of a computer. For the Kindle Paperwhite, I have to use my computer to choose the book and then sync the book to the PaperWhite. If you have a Kindle Fire you can do it all on the Fire, like I can on my phone, if you have access to wifi.

I can get a free library card from any library in my state. I have cards from 3 different library systems, so I have access to a lot of free books.