Menu

cat limping on front leg- WWYD?

regentrude

Our cat is an older (12+ years?) outdoor cat. Last night I noticed that she was limping slightly. She can put some weight on the paw, but hobbles and clearly does not put the normal amount of weight on it.

I have looked at her foot and do not see any foreign object. There is no wound, blood, or noticeable swelling. She lets me touch her leg and I can feel no dislocation or jutting bones. She eats. This morning, she wanted out and spent all day somewhere outside, just came in - so clearly it does not bother her enough to want to stay resting on her chair.

At this point, I am inclined to wait a few days and see if it improves on its own; if not, take her to the vet early next week.

Any BTDT? Thanks!

I just had the same thing happen to one of my cats, Last Thursday, my 11 year old Sagwa who is mostly an outdoor cat came in limping on her left back leg. We checked her out , could not find any injury and it did not seem to be causing her pain. She was still limping the next morning and we decided that rather than possibly having it get worse over the weekend in case it was a wound, we took her in to our vet. Our vet examined her for about 40 min, could find no puncture wound and determined it might be a twisted knee or hip. Nothing really to do about it. A week later, she is still limping some but starting to run more than a few days ago. She seems to be in no pain so maybe she will just slowly get better over time. She is not one to rest, she is always on the go outside and is still running around outside just with a limp.

Just keep an eye on your cat, pet her often to check it .. If it causes her pain, expecially if it starts to get swollen, it could be an infection (sometimes the infection site or wound is hard to find). Then the vet will give her a shot of antibotic to cure the infection. Another time, another one of my cats was scratched or bitten by Sagwa in his tail and a few days later, it became VERY painful if anyone touched his tail. A quick shot cleared it right up.

Give it some time. Usually they just twisted something. When mine do this, they're usually back to normal in a couple of days. Then they'll do something stupid, like jump out of the tree, or try to scale a shelf with books on it, and bring the books down as they slide off, and they'll limp for another day or two. If you don't see any improvement in a week, I'd bring her in.

The same basic thing happened with our dog years ago. I spent a lot of money to learn that he had in human terms broken his toe. Nothing could be done except time. He was back to normal in under a month. I would wait.