Menu

Rod & Staff Grammar - which level?

CindyK

My 3rd grader has recently completed CLE 200s grammar and he is now in CLE 301 going intto 302. (My health issues slowed us down last year) I plan to continue using the 300s this school year and may do a little over the summer. However, it's possible we may only get through the 1st 4 or 5 light units instead of all 10. I'm thinking of switching to Rod & Staff Grammar next year for 4th grade and was wondering if it would be best to do R&S 3 or would R&S 4 be okay for him to start with? Is there review in 4 so that it wouldn't be too hard for him. He's not really fond of doing anything "below" grade level if the book shows the grade on it. On the other hand I want him to be grounded and not floundering in something that would be too hard. Thanks for any insight on this!

Cindy

Just curious, do you do most of it aloud or on the whiteboard to make it go faster at this age?

I use R&S to get some extra writing out of my son (for physical practice - it's really helping strengthen his hands and make "composition" time easier for him), so here's how it goes for us:

I get the TM in my hands and he gets the student text in his hands. We open to the lesson for the day.

I read through the lesson out loud. We then go over the oral exercises (orally ;) ).

Now I assign about 1/2 the exercises for him to write. If there are sentences to write, I limit it to 2-3. If he just has to write words, I'll give him up to half. For diagramming, I let him diagram on the white board, and we usually do 2-3 diagrams max, and I choose the ones that are different from each other (so for example, he might do one with a direct object and one with a predicate noun).

These lessons take very little time for us, and many of the exercises only require writing one word or an abbreviation or something.