Menu

SWR vs All About Spelling?

austinangela

I am starting my first year as a homeschooler with my soon-to-be kindergartner! I would love to invest in a spelling program that will eventually work with all of my children. I have done some research and have come down to two curriculum that I really like: Spell to Write and Read and All About Spelling. I am having a hard time deciding between the two - does anyone use one and absolutely love it?

I would prefer SWR because I prefer limited manipulatives and those tiles drove me batty. I know some prefer them and I know some kids love them and that you can use AAS without them, true. However, it still seems expensive if I do not care for the tiles. I vote SWR. I do not use SWR, I have looked at it but chose the Spalding method using the WRTR manual. SO GLAD I DID!!!

I chose SWR because the overall cost was lower. I also suspected I would probably end up skipping the tiles most of the time since I'm a very basic get-er-done kind of gal, so I didn't see the point in buying something I probably wouldn't use. I checked out WRTR from the library and liked it very much, but at that point in time I wasn't up to putting things together myself - I wanted more hand holding so I went with SWR. I am very happy with that choice and I feel that the purchase was well worth it.

I am starting my first year as a homeschooler with my soon-to-be kindergartner! I would love to invest in a spelling program that will eventually work with all of my children. I have done some research and have come down to two curriculum that I really like: Spell to Write and Read and All About Spelling. I am having a hard time deciding between the two - does anyone use one and absolutely love it?

SWR (which is a Spalding spin-off) is more comprehensive than AAS (which is a Spalding spin-off). The one which works better for you is the one you can actually stay with; people report loving both and being satisfied with both. :-)

An advantage with SWR is that it does include penmanship and writing in general.

I researched both and settled on SWR, because (1) It is cheaper, (2) It covers spelling through high school, and (3) I only have to make a single purchase, and I have everything I need for all ages and abilities. I liked that I didn't have to mess with the different levels.

Many people like AAS, because it is very open-and-go right from the start. SWR has a big learning curve at the beginning. But if you can get beyond that learning curve, it becomes quite open-and-go while maintaining a greater flexibility to adapt it to the individual child.

Now that I am using SWR, I also like that there is quite a bit of grammar included in the program. It is also very convenient for me that I have been able to use it to teach reading to my 5yo. So in addition to being cheaper, it has also saved me money in grammar and reading programs.

I'll pipe in as a vote for AAS. I've never used SWR, but AAS has been great for us. We are half way through level 2 right now. While the tiles may drive some people crazy, my dd is very hands on and loves the tiles. She can spell using new rules better with the tiles than with writing. We move to writing them after she has practiced a number of words with tiles. I LOVE that it is open and go, as I have 3 kids 3 and under in addition to my first grader. I was hesitant first, because of the higher cost than most spelling programs, but since I have 3 more kids to come, it was worth it. Plus, I bought it used, so it wasn't so bad.

I have a kindergartner and we went with SWR on the recommendation of a good friend & I have loved it! My son has done really well with too. He is reading and spelling well. As others have said, there is a learning curve at the beginning, but once you learn the system it is very simple and easy to use. My 5 year old has even started teaching his little brother the phonograms. Highly recommend!

We are long time SWR users here, started in K4, so this is our 5th year with it. My little man learned to write, spell, and then read with SWR. Although I used the complementary Cursive First - which was created by an endorsed SWR trainer and is nonconsumable - to start with cursive writing from the beginning, no additional "reading" or "handwriting" program has ever been necessary. It continues to be one of our favorite hits. As previous posters mentioned, there is a learning curve, but once you find your niche, it's open and go... and entirely flexible.

Alongside SWR, I've added First Language Lessons for grammar and Writing With Ease for writing - both quite complementary to SWR - because they are great programs and I appreciate the handholding.

I have AAS level 1 and SWR. I ended up sticking with SWR because I felt like it was easier to move at a whatever pace suited each child. It's also cheaper and a one-time purchase. Personally, I prefer spelling without the tiles and I love all the grammar, word roots, sentences, and enrichments that are included with SWR.

Melissa :)

I used SWR with my older DD. She did well with it. The pace was right until she turned into a natural speller, and I dropped spelling for her. AAS would have moved too slowly for her.

I am using AAS with my younger DD. She is not the natural speller that her sister is. She needs more review of words than I could easily provide with SWR. AAS is also set up to give my DD several words with the same concept, which she needs. I find that it is very easy to adapt AAS to her pace and add as much review as she needs.

So there you go. Different programs for different kids. I could have made either program work for both kids. I'm glad I didn't have to.

I used AAS with my older son and loved it. I am using AAR and will use AAS with the younger one too. I used the tiles but not very much because he was older and just didn't need the tiles. With the younger one I am using an iPad app for the tiles. I personally find it very easy to adapt AAS to any child.

I have owned SWR but never was able to get started and make it work. I need the scripted aspect of AAS/AAR. I can easily drop the script if I want/need to but I need the jumping off point. SWR wasn't laid out in enough detail for me. But that's just me. When I say detail I mean lessons clearly laid out for me. Again just a personal preference.

I am a big supporter of AAS and AAR though. Have been since I found it. It was the easiest phonics/spelling program I've encountered and worth every penny to me. I'm learning that I get what I pay for in curriculum. My curriculum choices are expensive but the more I submit to hitting the pay button on these the happier I am.

AAS (which is actually based on Orton Gillingham), has been hugely beneficial to my kids. We've used it for 5 years and it has turned spelling around for my kids and made them much more confident in their writing. I haven't used SWR for a direct comparison, but here's a link to my review. Best wishes as you decide which way to go for your family! Merry :-)

I have AAS1 and AAR1 and my dd uses WRTR at her school. I prefer WRTR to AAS but I do like how AAS is open and go. I don't like having to read a manual and do lessons on my own. I'm not good at that. My ideal would be an open and go WRTR . ;) From what I heard about SWR I think I would prefer that to AAS. AAS covers spelling and AAR covers reading. AAS seems to go a little slower than WRTR with teaching phograms and spelling words and you need to purchase multiple levels. I like how the other methods teach reading through spelling. You learn a bunch of phonograms then move onto spelling with them and then when they worked with spelling for a while you give them real books. To me it seems less frustrating for my kids who each went through the phase where they had sound out words and didn't recognize them right away no matter how many times they blend it out. It is frustrating to try to read for kids like mine that go through that phase. The fluency sheets in AAR are a lot of work for ds even divided up. He can do them but he isn't gaining fluency from them. AAS and AAR is a very good program though and it is really nice how it is open and go.

It's the multi-sensory aspect of AAS that really made a huge difference with my kids. Using the tiles, the markers, the cards, the oral work and the writing helps them engage the material visually, audibly, and kinetically. That sensory trifecta goes a really long way with my kids. It is pricey, but since I started it with my first child, I'll use it for three and it makes me feel better about the cost. Not only has their spelling improved, but I've seen it strengthen their reading, as well.