Menu

We hit the jackpot today!

lewelma

Don't quote me as I am deleting this too!

For those of you following our maths saga, you know that we have been struggling to find a math mentor. Well, today my dh's e-mail got passed onto the deputy coordinator for the NZ Math Olympiad team -- the one who is taking the kids to Colombia this year for the IMO. Not only is he in town, he wants to meet ds next week! He was very pleased that ds was so young, because "recruiting students as early as possible is definitely a priority for the NZIMO committee." He also did not blink that ds is homeschooled, which was possibly an issue because the form states that students must attend a registered school. He is available for tutoring but not until September, so I am still stuck without a short term mentor! I guess this means more proofs for me, but at least I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ruth in NZ

I have been amazed at how well you have been doing things with your kids especially in science and math.

This really means a lot to me. I have been having some doubts recently, not only because of this math saga but also because a close friend with bright kids has decided to quit homeschooling.

Ruth, this probably comes across as sounding weird but seriously, from where I am and from how much admiration I have for what you do, if YOU can have doubts, then I don't feel so bad about having them too lol. Your friend is doing what might be working for her...and you keep doing what's good for your boys, Ruth. You are an inspiration to so many of us so don't doubt yourself! And if your boys' needs do change and you can't homeschool anymore please let us know so we can pool our resources and engage you as our consultant! :laugh:

Yay!! Wonderful news, Ruth!

I think that everything is going to fall into place nicely for you now. I've been away from the boards for a couple of weeks & was meaning to re-visit some of your threads tonight.

Thanks, Kathy! Because it looks like I am still the short term tutor, I would love any suggestions you can make as to the short term plan that I posted on this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456545-need-help-setting-out-a-study-plan-for-the-math-olympiad/

From where I am and from how much admiration I have for what you do, if YOU can have doubts, then I don't feel so bad about having them too lol. Your friend is doing what might be working for her...and you keep doing what's good for your boys, Ruth. You are an inspiration to so many of us so don't doubt yourself!

:blush: That smiley was as close as I could come to "thanks so much, I really needed the encouragement." It is very easy to see all the things you are not doing well, rather than all the things you are getting right. Thanks for the kind words.

just saw your post -- great happiness! chocolate all around! (I'll have an extra truffle on your behalf :) )

This really means a lot to me. I have been having some doubts recently, not only because of this math saga but also because a close friend with bright kids has decided to quit homeschooling.

<hugs> and thank you so much for sharing your doubts as well as your successes. and you are a polymath inspiration -- not just zooming along & providing Essential Feedback and Support for science, math, and writing but also literature ideas to me in my role as Heidi-refugee ... I'm glad you are here!