Menu

Biblioplan -Which books in the set are the most important?

Hello,

I have SOTW and MOH for Ancients and wanted to use them both.

Biblioplan (upper middle grades 6-8) includes both of these for spines and I like the Christian approach.

The cost for the set is more than I was planning on. My ds wouldn't like the coloring book and we have a timeline that could be used.

My question for those of you who have used Biblioplan is which books are the most important if you purchased them separately ?

Family Guide

Companion

Discussion guide

Cool History

Cool History Classic?

Hands-on Maps

This is for one student, my youngest. Thanks for your help.

I didn't even realize there was a family discussion guide because I bought mine in pieces since Year 2 wasn't ready by the time I needed it. I don't remember seeing one for Year 1 last year. I also don't know what Cool History Classic is. I use the Family Guide for both kids. I use the Companion and the Cool History pages for my high school dd as well as the Advanced Maps. I use SOTW and SOTW AG maps for my son in 4th. I do use some of the recommended literature but not all of it.

May I ask why you want to use Biblioplan if you already have those two spines with so many resources available through them? Is it because you want them lined up together or because you like the order of BP? Is it because you want to add in the Companion?

I have both of these resources along with the Family Schedule/Guide and have found myself spinning my wheels over the same question!

If you're happy with the timeline that you have, then stick with that! Here are my thoughts on the other pieces:

Family Guide - essential if you plan to follow the Biblioplan order of topics. The Family guide is also very nice to have because it coordinates Bible reading, read alouds and independent readers.

Companion - I don't have this resource, but have looked at the 3-week download sample it *a lot*. It seems that the Companion could tie things together very well, and provide some interesting/important information that is not found in either SOTW or MOH. I love the Biblical Focus sections. I think I will probably purchase the companion and use it during assigned history reading time. When we're finished reading MOH and/or SOTW aloud, then I can have the kids read the pages in the companion on their own (4 - 6 pages per chapter).

Discussion guide - This is another resource I plan to purchase. I love the list of questions an points that should/could be discussed with your children. I think it will encourage me to really talk with my kids about history rather than just read it and check it off of our list.

Cool History - With all the pre-tests and other question pages in MOH, I don't think you'll need this.

Cool History Classic - If you decide you don't want the companion or Cool History pages, then you may prefer this. It has a few other sources that they are not currently using because the Companion replaced them. (For example, Streams of Civilization)

Hands-on Maps - The BP maps could make life easy--One map each week. I like the looks of the MOH maps better, and you could just pull out a MOH map when the mood hit you.

So . . . you really have the *essential* resources: a schedule/reading plan and two spines. Add in a timeline, some written summaries/narration and a little mapwork and you'll probably end up having a great Ancient History year. If you want an extra resource with pictures that will tie everything together, then consider the Companion and Family Discussion Guide.

May I ask why you want to use Biblioplan if you already have those two spines with so many resources available through them? Is it because you want them lined up together or because you like the order of BP? Is it because you want to add in the Companion?

It is because I want them lined up together. I should have mentioned that the SOTW and MOH I have are the CD's and not the books. I was hoping to use BP as the lesson plan book to organize it for me.

So far BP is the only resource I have heard about that connects them but if there is another one I would be very interested in learning about it. Thank you.

I have both of these resources along with the Family Schedule/Guide and have found myself spinning my wheels over the same question!

Thank you for this, it's nice to know that I'm not alone with these questions!

Family Guide - essential if you plan to follow the Biblioplan order of topics. The Family guide is also very nice to have because it coordinates Bible reading, read alouds and independent readers.

This is the most important book it sounds like, good to know.

Discussion guide - This is another resource I plan to purchase. I love the list of questions an points that should/could be discussed with your children. I think it will encourage me to really talk with my kids about history rather than just read it and check it off of our list.

I like this one a lot too as I think discussing history is very important in really understanding it.

It is because I want them lined up together. I should have mentioned that the SOTW and MOH I have are the CD's and not the books. I was hoping to use BP as the lesson plan book to organize it for me.

So far BP is the only resource I have heard about that connects them but if there is another one I would be very interested in learning about it. Thank you.

To get the maps you would need the Activity Guide for SOTW and possibly the book of MOH. SOTW's AG is great, and I personally love her maps the best. There is suggested literature in it, too. There are so many resources online, though. Here are a few.

This site has charts that line them up together as well as several other resources. Scroll down and there are literature as well as movie ideas to supplement history.

This blog has resources for SOTW Vol. 1 & 2.

This blog has Sonlight books for SOTW.

This blog has free notebooking pages for MOH 1. This is one for MOH 2.

To get the maps you would need the Activity Guide for SOTW and possibly the book of MOH. SOTW's AG is great, and I personally love her maps the best. There is suggested literature in it, too. There are so many resources online, though. Here are a few.

This site has charts that line them up together as well as several other resources. Scroll down and there are literature as well as movie ideas to supplement history.

This blog has resources for SOTW Vol. 1 & 2.

This blog has Sonlight books for SOTW.

This blog has free notebooking pages for MOH 1. This is one for MOH 2.

Thank you so much for these sites. I have a Pinterest history board for organizing these type of resources in one place.

I ordered the SOTW activity book ( good price on Amazon) and will take your suggestion and use it for the maps.