Jump to content

Menu

...


Wildcat

Recommended Posts

If your ds has been working with a particular admissions counselor at the school, then an email to that person would be good (this is what dd did.) Otherwise, I think an email to the admissions office should be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most did have postcards or websites where one could check a box declining the offer (and telling them where you were going and why you chose "the other" school). However, a couple of schools (generally larger schools) didn't have those. We joked that they made it tough so students would give up trying to reject them and would just come. In reality, we sent an e-mail to admissions giving them all the info the others wanted on their post cards or websites. A couple came back with higher money offers, but by then, our decision(s) had been made. Most just acknowledged it and wished my guys well at their choice.

 

It IS good to notify them so other students can come off waitlists (pending yield at the school) or have access to unused scholarship $$. By May 2nd they'll have figured it out if there's no deposit, but there's no need to make them wait that long.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some schools want to hear if you will be accepting merit scholarships BEFORE May 1. The colleges have all agreed that May 1 is the universal acceptance date (barring ED or other special circumstances), but offers of merit aid can expire well before May 1.

 

We had one school that wanted to hear by April 7, which made sense (they could offer the scholarship to someone else before they accepted elsewhere), but we had one school that notified ds in January of a (generous) merit award that would expire in four weeks. Ridiculous! Needless to say, he did not accept that merit award!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...