Menu

Self-teaching math: lets discuss the programs out there!

camibami

Specifically, lets give me some stuff I can look at in preparation for next year (2010-yeah, I'm organized!).

We used Saxon until we hit a wall, and are reviewing/solidifying/approaching it differently via MUS this summer and this coming year. We will then need to address pre-algebra again, I think she is just not developmentally ready for it, and thats what happened. No math issues per se, just too young for pre-algebra.

Well, MUS is *awesome*. She loves it. Its too easy, so that is probably why, but I am happy she is gaining so much confidence and also being exposed to a different way of learning math, as we used solely Saxon until now. She really digs the video, and learning on her own. We do CWP together, and some of the Key to...books, but the MUS she does on her own.

So I think a video/online/computer based program is what we need for pre-algebra. What is available? Is Saxon (still my favorite!) DIVE Cd's meant to be used by the student on their own? What TT would I want if I have a child who has done Saxon 7/6, and MUS to pre-algebra? Any others? The only thing I know about Chalkdust is it is really expensive- is it worth it?

And, how do you get over the feeling that you are farming your kid out to a screen instead of *teaching*? I feel like a failure that Mr.Demme is so much better a math teacher. Darn him and his colorful blocks!

Based on reviews here, I'm using MUS Pre-Algebra w/ my dd this year -- so far so good, she's only a couple lessons into the year though. I do not plan to continue MUS next year w/ Alg (also based on reviews here). Since MUS is working well, I'd recommend continuing through Pre-Alg and reposting this question next year! :D

I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that there is Saxon Teacher cd-roms for the computer. It looks similar to TT! I'm excited about this, but haven't heard alot of reviews. There are samples on Rainbow Resource. For your dd, I would probably go with Algebra 1 (Saxon) and just go slower if you need to.