Menu

Crisis for my college freshman-and thanks to previous posters

Catherine

I want to thank the people who wrote last fall about the procedure to follow if you need a college student to be "checked on." Sadly, I had to use this knowledge over the weekend, but the end result was still tragic. I will delete later so please do not quote me.

Parents-know the way to contact your children's roomies and friends! When we found ourselves in an information vacuum, the truth of this advice came home to me very powerfully.

Catherine, thank you for your very good advice and I am so sorry for your son. In the years that my dd struggled with depression, we discovered that there were far more young people with a tenuous hold on life than we would have ever expected. It's heartbreaking. Please let your son know he did what he could and then some; there is a point as hard as it is to accept, where no one can do more. :grouphug:

Your son was still a hero in my eyes and likely will be to his friend's mom too, but nonetheless, it's awful news to process for both. I feel for all involved. I really, really wish this had had a different outcome, esp since he tried his hardest when he was in contact with her. It's an awful burden for him. I wish the "other end" had been able to be quicker.

:grouphug: Hugs and prayers to all.

Seeing your pastor is a good idea. If she is UU, she will respect his non-religiousness and focus on something else, like concrete information about the stages of grief. Outside reassurance that it isn't his fault will help, too. I know - you really hope that they don't run across crucial situations where adults let them down until after they are well into their own adulthood. Things like just don't help, do they. Does the school have counseling? We've found that helpful on a number of occasions. In our case, it was done so much as part of what the school offered, so much like just another sort of advisor that you met with weekly (or whatever) that it wasn't embarrassing. It doesn't hurt that they have experience with that age person, either. Vacation might be hard, with its free time, but this time safe with people who will love him even if he isn't exactly using his social skills, this down time, might help him to process some things now and might help to keep the grief and worry from surfacing elsewhere, like as an inability to concentrate when he sits down to study? Maybe? Grieving is work and work takes time and energy. Do you have any wood that needs chopping?

Hugs,

Nan

Yes, his school has counseling and he even made an appointment for himself-I was so glad to know he was thinking ahead about this. Unfortunately, he changed his break plans to return home a day early so will miss the appointment. Another reason for me to check something out while he is home.