Menu

Corian vs Granite countertops which one would you choose and why?

lynn

We have Corian. When we remodel, I will look for something else.

Several years ago, I set my crock-pot over one of the seams. (It is 'seamless,' which means that you can't see the seams though it still has them.) The heat from the crock-pot caused one of the seams to pop. Explode, might be a better word. It cracked open the seam and sent the entire length of countertop buckling.

Corian said it was the fault of the crock-pot, as it was too hot and Corian should stand up to typical appliance heat.

Crock-pot company said their product wasn't to blame. (I had used the crock-pot many times without a problem but that day set it in a different spot.)

Repair was insanely expensive.

I have never used the crock-pot on the Corian since, but set it up on the stove top instead. I am also now leery about getting a toaster oven or roaster. I could really use either one, as our oven is so small, but I don't trust the Corian. (Corian said it would be fine if I didn't put it directly over a seam. But - how to know where seams are?!)

If you do the remodel, you could note where seams are. But we bought our our house with Corian and have no clue where the seams are.

Either Granite or a manufactured stone product like Silestone.

We have Silestone counters for the past 10 years. They still shine like new! Silestone is 90% stone (you can see the rocks) and comes with a warranty. It does not scratch/burn like Corian. Ours looks like a true granite but was easier on our budget.

Granite comes in different grades. I've seen some beautiful granite-- and some costly mistakes (cracks/chips...). Granite usually does not have a warranty.

We put in granite three years ago and we are so happy with it. Quartz was our first thought, but as we looked into it and got quotes we found it more expensive than granite and didnt like the colors as well. We purchased one of the highest priced granites available to us and negotiated the price down. It has held up beautifully so far.

If you decide on granite, just be sure you go with one of the more durable ones. Usually the darker colors I think.

We have Corian and I haven't been overly thrilled with it. It scratches a lot easier than I thought it would, and ours is a darker color and in the right light the scratches really show. I know they can be buffed out, but who wants to do that regularly? I'd be a little leery of granite because of potential radon exposure.

Link to EPA

Note I'm not trying to start a discussion of the potential dangers of granite countertops. Just saying it's something I'd want to investigate thoroughly before going that route.

I have had Corian in my remodeled kitchen for almost 5 years now. It does scratch, but since mine is light, no one sees the scratches but me.

I have not figured out how to polish them and get the scratches out. I just live with them.

I did head the crockpot warnings and only use mine on my glass top stove. It works fine there.

I do have a toaster oven and now that I think of it, it might be sitting over a seam. I use it constantly and have had no issues.

We had serious install issues but apparently we are just lucky as they rarely happen.

After some warnings from a Corian installer (friend of a friend and way too late to change our decision) we opted to not put in a Corian sink.

We put in granite counters 4 years ago and they still look like new. I remember doing some research on the different options at the time, but can't recall the details. We must have felt that granite was our best option, since we went with it. ;) Our counters look beautiful, we have had zero scratches (and we're pretty tough on surfaces around here), and they're just very durable. We have a few nicks on the counter edge that laps over the dishwasher (from banging a pan or dish against the edge while putting them in/taking them out of the dishwasher), but they're only noticeable if you run your finger over them. You can't see them at all.

Love our granite counters!

corian is a synthetic - I had a silgranite sink that is similar in that they both use resin. I bought the sink when they were still giving a lifetime warranty against cracks. good thing, because draining my hot pasta water cracked it. the manufacturer no longer offers that lifetime warranty against cracks. no way would I ever consider corian - or any other synthetic.

I have granite, and never had a problem. I can put my hot pots on them, I can drop things on them, etc. basically, it's a slice of a rock, not much is going to hurt it. darker granites are harder than lighter ones and thus are more naturally stain resistant - there is a difference among granite.

eta: my dd is starting the process to buy a house. she's adament she will have real granite counters even if she has to put them in herself. she's all about function in a kitchen, as she cooks for fun.

Okay thank you for your input. I will be going for not corian...yikes....it looks so nice but sounds like to many potential problems. I am not familiar with silestone I'll have to look into that and compare to granite.

Next question undermount? or traditional sink?

Under. You gain counter space.

I also put my sink in a deeper sink base. There is more space behind the faucets for soap dispenser and my backspash and window stay much cleaner. I did just to make it more interesting but I absolutely just love it.

darker granites are harder than lighter ones and thus are more naturally stain resistant - there is a difference among granite.

This. Research the particular "granite" carefully. Darker ones are usually harder, and there are a lot of different price points for both dark and light. Also consider whether the particular pattern is likely to hide or show fingerprints and crumbs.

My "granite" is an anarthosite, which is harder than the rock that is technically granite. We have never sealed it (in 7 yrs) - while granite slabs are sealed at the factory, supposedly our granite is so hard that sealant doesn't really even seep in. I remember my mother freaking out when I took a pan out of a 500-degree oven and set it right on the counter - I love my granite.

I'll add my vote for the undermount sink - no question.

We have Silestone and I love them. We considered granite, which was about the same price at the time, but I saw a TV news report that said that some granite countertops emit radiation (to the point where it could potentially be harmful over time,) so we went with the Silestone.

I'm sure that at some point, I will find out that Silestone has some other weird, deadly issue, but right now, it seems like a safe choice. ;)

I have stupid laminate. I keep waiting for something to go wrong with it so I can justify replacing it. It's cream-colored, so you'd think it would at least stain, but nope, it looks brand new and it's at least 11 years old. My crockpot is always on it with no problem. I didn't pay extra for dishwasher installation (they specifically asked if I had granite). I don't have it in me to just replace something that is perfectly good, but I'm beginning to fantasize about sabotaging this stupid cream counter some can get something prettier.

I have stupid laminate. I keep waiting for something to go wrong with it so I can justify replacing it. It's cream-colored, so you'd think it would at least stain, but nope, it looks brand new and it's at least 11 years old. My crockpot is always on it with no problem. I didn't pay extra for dishwasher installation (they specifically asked if I had granite). I don't have it in me to just replace something that is perfectly good, but I'm beginning to fantasize about sabotaging this stupid cream counter some can get something prettier.

Funny you should say that.....We are trashing perfectly good laminate counter tops. when we look at new houses I realize that the one thing I like about a house are the counter tops. So dh told me I can replace ours. He'll save the stress and expense of moving and I'll have a kitchen I love when it's finished.

Another granite lover here. Easy care and maintenance. We have had ours for almost 9 years. Myth busters did an episode on it and I believe the only thing that they could damage it with was railroad explosives to burn it and dropping a ridiculous amount of weight on it to break off the edge. Everyday wear will do nothing to it.