Menu

If you use/used Oak Meadow...

mo2

Do you feel the need to tweak it? I am so tired of trying to piece things together, not being able to find what I want or finding something that sounds great but then realizing it's either Christian or WAY out of my price range. OM tempts me, but I have to wonder if I would end up tweaking it to death.

Yeah, sorry, I had to tweak a ton. I guess it depends on what level you're looking for. I didn't really tweak the history for 6th grade; that was plenty. The English was waaaay too light for me, I just didn't use the math or science as they didn't seem as good as what I was already using. When I did 3d grade, I mostly used as written (except for math) but not enough to continue with it in 4th.

We're using it for 4th. We do most of the history/social studies, language arts, and art lessons as they are presented. We don't do much with the science lessons, and the math is kind of... not sufficient for my kid. I've probably spent more on supplemental stuff than I did on the curriculum, but this was our first year homeschooling...

All that said, we plan on using it next year for 5th grade history and English. I like it, but I'm a bit restless about curriculum.

I've finally realized that no matter what boxed curriculum I tried I'd tweak it to death... I really considered using Oak Meadow as a core. We're planning on using Enki as a core, it has all my "can't do without" qualities. I won't go past 1st with it... but while DD is still little (and causing trouble) it provides a holistc unifying whole that I can adapt as we need.

I've heard of some people using Oak Meadow just as is and perfectly happy. I listened and asked around for a really really long time. I think it just depends on whether you're a "tweaking" kinda parent. I tend to want to have specific things and definitely have my own standards - so I just know I would be.

We used it for 2nd grade.....We added more phonics, reading(readers for my child; there was only a couple books for her through Oak Meadow), grammar, writing, and we did Horizons in 2nd instead of OM.

We stuck to the Science and History......my dd enjoyed them pretty well. All of my kids LOVED the Arthur Scott Bailey Stories (read alouds) that comes with OM 2!!

I am using Oak Meadow with my two daughters. My dd12 uses OM 6, but we use Saxon Math. I haven't tweaked it at all so far, except to add in Bible study. We are really enjoying it. I use Oak Meadow's Preschool Package with my dd4. It is more of the philosophy behind OM, creating rhythm, play ideas, verses, etc. as opposed to an actual "curriculum." I am still figuring out how to set up everything with dd4. She has significant special needs, and I expect to tweak it for her. Plus, I also add in a few things with her as well. I am waiting to receive A Child's Seasonal Treasury by Betty Jones, which is a Waldorf book of verses, activities, etc. for dd4 as well.