Menu

An Introduction and Hello

Guest angelarhelm

Guest angelarhelm

Hi, all. I'm Angela, and my family and I live in Austin, Texas. Our daughter is 4 and (to be frank) learning nothing in Pre-K. While we appreciate the playtime she gets while at "school," the fact is that we want more for her than that - a fact is which somewhat exacerbated by the fact that she is already reading, writing, and doing basic arithmetic... and virtually none of that is encouraged in her classroom.

My husband has been aware and a proponent of the Classical method of education for years. I have recently read the entirety of The Well-Trained Mind and we want to pull our B from public school and home-school her more than anything. At present, we're working through determining how that will work financially, as one of us will need to quit working to give her the time and commitment that this will require. Realistically, we're probably going to have to send her to public school through Kindergarten before we'll be financially able to make this happen, which is a bit disappointing for me, particularly because we're having to unteach different things that she's picking up at school on a regular basis.

In the meantime, we've started a blog to chronicle our successes and challenges, as well as our process: http://ourwelltraine...s.blogspot.com/

There's not much there, but the "how we got here" and "why" bits are available.

How did you all come across Classical Education? DId you try other methods of homeschooling previously?

Glad to see so many like-minded folks in one place.

-- Ang

Welcome! You'll find this group to be fairly eclectic, overall. I am definitely a huge fan of WTM and we do a lot of "classical" stuff in our home school but I'm also strongly influenced by Charlotte Mason ideas.

Have you found the Afterschooling section of the boards yet?