Menu

Using zofran with a stomach virus??

Tiramisu

I have some previously prescribed zofran. Can I take it if I get what I think is the noro-virus? Is it safe not to vomit when those germies are inside you? Will it make it worse on the other end?

Two dd's were sick over the weekend. Intense stomach pain and vomiting at least every half hour for 8 hours. I'm very afraid of going through that.

I've disinfected everything, but I think one dd gave it to another from the remote control. The sick one very considerately asked us to cover it with plastic wrap but then I saw the other one using it. A day later she went down. I've been extremely careful myself but there's inevitable exposure when you have to clean it off the floor. :glare:

We had the norovirus 3 weeks ago and we were in the middle of a family emergency. My parents came to help with the kids and I called the dr and begged them to call something in. My poor mom was trying to keep my almost 2yo from throwing up all over the place. Bless it. They did call in Zofran for us. We only used it as necessary but it was a lifesaver.

I hate vomiting so much that I have inadvertently/subconsciously learned to suppress it. Probably not the best thing for me, but it is what it is. Anyway, my family picked up the Norovirus last fall. The result was that I was sick about a day longer and spent much more time on toilet than my "freely" vomiting family. I am A-OK with the trade off. So yes, technically speaking "it was worse..on my other *end*" :laugh:

I hate vomiting so much that I have inadvertently/subconsciously learned to suppress it. Probably not the best thing for me, but it is what it is. Anyway, my family picked up the Norovirus last fall. The result was that I was sick about a day longer and spent much more time on toilet than my "freely" vomiting family. I am A-OK with the trade off. So yes, technically speaking "it was worse..on my other *end*" :laugh:

Same here!

I've had drs prescribe Zofran for me for migraines or when I've been vomiting for other reasons and I've since learned some forms contain aspartame - couldn't figure out why I was getting migraines after taking it, just an FYI if you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

When I had a stomach bug a few years ago, the nurse told me not to take anything until 24 hours after onset, to "give the germs time to get out". Basically, she said that once both ends were cleaned out, it was safe to take something to prevent dehydration.

I have done it when the kids have been throwing up and I start to feel like I will. I don't know if it makes it worse on the other end but I haven't had any bad side effects from doing it. I know you should get rid of the germs but I don't know that throwing up is the only/best way to do that, yk? I hate throwing up so bad that I have been very happy with this :). I've done it twice.

Guest Samantha T

My son had a horrible stomach bug six weeks ago and the er dr. prescribed Zofran for him. A nurse who happened to be tending to me after my hysterectomy (on the same day he was in the ER downstairs) told me that the medicine is most effective if taken before the full onset of nausea. It worked better than anything else we tried. It took him two more visits to the ER and four weeks to get back on his feet.

Hope the info helps and your family gets well soon!