Menu

KIndergarten Roundup!

AimeeM

We technically start kinder in the fall, but are already doing stuff in an as-interested way. I'm figuring on just moving up on anything she finishes.

Phonics: rocket phonics, explode the code (as review and handwriting practice). Currently doing phoneme practice to prep for RP and "get set for the code". We will likely move up by late spring/ summer.

Math: miquon orange. We've started this already.

Handwriting: hwot pre-k. This will be done shortly and we'll try HWOT K

Other: some little pim for Chinese, SOTW as a read-aloud for history, I'm teaching a coop science class. These are all highly informal and on no particular timetable. Just for fun.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading thru all your posts and taking notes! I find all the amazing options overwhelming as a first-time-about-to-begin-homeschooling mama. My dd will start K this fall, with her 3 year old language delayed brother in tow. Her eldest bro will begin jr high, he's in a public charter.

So far I have purchased:

Right Start Level A

More Mudpies to Magnets

Lollipop Logic

FIAR

The Family Virtues Guide

List of things I am trying to learn more about, many after reading positive things about them here, are:

FLL

Ancient Creature Cards

All About Spelling

EB Singapore Math

I am really stuck on selecting a reading program. She currently is reading thru the first level of BOB Books. I own Teach Your Child in 100....from when my oldest was her age. We didn't use it, but I've thought of using it with her. When I researched it on here it seems very unpopular though so I am trying to learn more about why.

As for extras, there is an amazing local homeschool organization here that offers every class and group under the sun, so we will try to utilize that for social time since all her friends are going off to school!

My ds will be our third to start hs k in June. We school year round so they start on their 5th birthday.

100 Easy lessons

Evan Moore handrwriting

Excel Math

Kumon numbers 1-30

Salsa spanish

He will continue swimming lesson, dance class, and gymnastics

I have been reading thru all your posts and taking notes! I find all the amazing options overwhelming as a first-time-about-to-begin-homeschooling mama. My dd will start K this fall, with her 3 year old language delayed brother in tow. Her eldest bro will begin jr high, he's in a public charter.

So far I have purchased:

Right Start Level A

More Mudpies to Magnets

Lollipop Logic

FIAR

The Family Virtues Guide

List of things I am trying to learn more about, many after reading positive things about them here, are:

FLL

Ancient Creature Cards

All About Spelling

EB Singapore Math

I am really stuck on selecting a reading program. She currently is reading thru the first level of BOB Books. I own Teach Your Child in 100....from when my oldest was her age. We didn't use it, but I've thought of using it with her. When I researched it on here it seems very unpopular though so I am trying to learn more about why.

As for extras, there is an amazing local homeschool organization here that offers every class and group under the sun, so we will try to utilize that for social time since all her friends are going off to school!

Welcome to homeschooling! You are the only one to feel overwhelmed at all the choices out there. This is my 4th year homeschooling and I still get sucked in sometimes.

Go with your gut. Only you can decide what will work best for your child. If she's artsy, give her art. If she loves science, go in that direction. Keep it simple and have fun!

Not all set in stone just yet but so far Im thinking.

MEP reception

Zane Blosser writing

(maybe FLL1 in the spring)

Phonics pathways,ClickNKids, starfall etc.

She is already sitting in on SOTW 1 so she will sit in on 2 next year She will sit in for science too (looking at Mr. Q). I wont be expecting anything from her though. K year I usually just hit the 3 R's and get teach them how we behave during school.

Technically she wouldn't meet the cut off for K this year (she will be 5 in Nov.) however, she already knows her letters by sight and sound, her shapes, colors, addition/subtraction (with color blocks) so Im ready to get started on K if it takes 2 years to get through it I'm ok with it. Chances are it will because she isn't writing much yet, the maturity level just is not there with her. She writes what she wants to and if its incorrect she tells me how wrong I AM... lol

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

A Reason for Handwriting- Which we're really disliking so far. We may ditch it for copywork.

Math-u-see Primer

Bob Books

Explode the Code

For History, we're just reading various books from Beautiful Feet's Early American history pack.

For Science, we're been reading various Usborne books.

We started K in January this year:

Math - Horizons Math 1, Singapore 1b

Reading: Sonlight grade 2+3 readers

Spelling: own system, mostly by dictation

Handwriting: manuscript, own system, copywork

Creative Writing: journal writing, WWE from the textbook

Literature: various read alouds

Science: BFSU 1

History: SOTW 1

Geography: done with BFSU and SOTW

Other: dance class, possibly start swimming lessons as we move into winter (when she needs a heated pool)

Well I'm not going to finalize or order anything until we move back to the US in July, and we are planning to take things pretty slowly anyways, but this is my plan so far:

Phonics: Continue with Explode the Code workbooks and beginning readers.

Handwriting: Zaner-Blosser (Grades K & 1) or Getty-Dubay (Books A & B)

Math: Right Start is speaking the loudest to me now, but it's pretty pricey, so I'm not sure I'll commit to it

Misc: Five in a Row vol I

Science: informal nature study

Arabic: not entirely sure yet....

Religion: Quran & hadeeth memorization; story books

My young (barely 5) K'er will be starting this fall with daily (M-TH): Math-- Singapore 1

Reading-- Bob Books

Writing-- Writing Without Tears

And just so its not all drudgery we will 2x weekly: Science-- Animal Study

History-- Story of the World, Ancients

I want to keep "lesson time" down to around an hour and a half. 15-20 minutes each of Math/Reading/Writing, and 30-40 minutes each for Science and History (alternating days). We plan on still spending quite a bit of our time running and jumping and being left to ourselves to play.

We already do morning prayers and a short bible or saint story every morning, and I don't plan on considering that part of "school" (it doesn't go away in the summers and weekends, after all), the same for our afternoon read aloud time while the baby naps.

DD just turned 5. We've been working through Sonlight P4/5 since December and will continue with that until we finish, at which point I plan to start FIAR. Along with that we'll move on to:

Singapore Standards 1A

New American Cursive 1

WRTR

And extras: family devotions, Salsa Spanish, Awana, co-op, read-alouds, and memory work

This will be my 4th time teaching K. We will be using:

Math- Saxon 1

Logic- Building Thinking Skills Hands On

Greek- Hey Andrew Reader (Greek alphabet)

Phonics- phonograms 27-72 (2/week)

Spelling- Spelling Plus lists 1-3 (end of the year)

Reading- Bob Books followed by McGuffey Eclectic Primer (these are for oral reading)

Literature- Veritas Press readers and K literature books, WRTR K list (these are for independent reading)

Writing- PreScripts Letters and Coloring (cursive letters), and copywork from her readers

Bible- The Children's Illustrated Bible, Small Talks on Big Questions, manners, hymns, Character First related devotions

Read Aloud- Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education picture book list and Mother Goose

Memory work and enrichment: CC Cycle 2, Character First, First Catechism, IEW's Poetry Memorization, AWANA

We flesh out the memory work with printables, notebooking, read alouds, movies, etc.

For phonics she will work on 2 new phonograms each week plus review. She will say the sounds on the flashcards and then I wil dictate the sounds and she will write them daily. We will make a homemade phonogram book with keywords for each sound. I will dictate the words in the Bob Books to her and she will write them and we will mark them. Then she will read the words to me before reading the book. She will copy the sentences from the Bob Book for copywork and basic instruction on punctuation, capitalization, etc. Spelling rules will be explained as needed but not memorized in K.

HTH!

Miquon Math & education unboxed

AAR1

Handwriting without tears K

Wee folk art curriculum of readers and projects for a weekly theme

Tagging along with my 3rd grader for

SOTW 2

Geography

RSO space

Artistic pursuits

Karate, swimming and 1x per week co-op

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question. But for some reason I was looking at AAS but as I read more about it, I see they suggest starting with AAR and adding spelling later. So, if I did decide to go AAR for reading, how does one decide what level to begin at? I had assumed level 1 but I think a large portion of it my daughter knows or will by the time we officially start late this summer. Because of the cost I don't want to buy level 1 just to use as we need and then have to buy level 2 mid year. She is not an advanced reader by any means. She's on the sight word edition of BOB books and has gone thru Starfall. She's doing better everyday. Has anyone used AAR who has any advice???

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question. But for some reason I was looking at AAS but as I read more about it, I see they suggest starting with AAR and adding spelling later. So, if I did decide to go AAR for reading, how does one decide what level to begin at? I had assumed level 1 but I think a large portion of it my daughter knows or will by the time we officially start late this summer. Because of the cost I don't want to buy level 1 just to use as we need and then have to buy level 2 mid year. She is not an advanced reader by any means. She's on the sight word edition of BOB books and has gone thru Starfall. She's doing better everyday. Has anyone used AAR who has any advice???

You might want to start your own post I'm sure you'd get more replies! I don't use AAR but do use AAS for spelling. I did not start it till the girls finished OPGTR. It's a great program and AAR looks so cool!

My DD's starting K this Summer, this is my current plan (subject to change).

reading: OPGTR, Bob Books, I See Sam readers

writing: PAL Writing (focusing on Part 1)

grammar: FLL1 starting around spring

math: RightStart Math Level A (I've just ordered the 2nd edition so I really hope it's good...!)

art: Atelier

science & history: she'll probably do the crafts & experiments along with her brother but I won't be doing anything formal with her 'til 1st grade.

I'd love to do FIAR vol 1 too but I'm not sure if we'd manage time wise - we'll see how we do with the current plan first :)

This will be my 4th time teaching K. We will be using:

Math- Saxon 1

Logic- Building Thinking Skills Hands On

Greek- Hey Andrew Reader (Greek alphabet)

Phonics- phonograms 27-72 (2/week)

Spelling- Spelling Plus lists 1-3 (end of the year)

Reading- Bob Books followed by McGuffey Eclectic Primer (these are for oral reading)

Literature- Veritas Press readers and K literature books, WRTR K list (these are for independent reading)

Writing- PreScripts Letters and Coloring (cursive letters), and copywork from her readers

Bible- The Children's Illustrated Bible, Small Talks on Big Questions, manners, hymns, Character First related devotions

Read Aloud- Teaching the Classics and A Thomas Jefferson Education picture book list and Mother Goose

Memory work and enrichment: CC Cycle 2, Character First, First Catechism, IEW's Poetry Memorization, AWANA

We flesh out the memory work with printables, notebooking, read alouds, movies, etc.

For phonics she will work on 2 new phonograms each week plus review. She will say the sounds on the flashcards and then I wil dictate the sounds and she will write them daily. We will make a homemade phonogram book with keywords for each sound. I will dictate the words in the Bob Books to her and she will write them and we will mark them. Then she will read the words to me before reading the book. She will copy the sentences from the Bob Book for copywork and basic instruction on punctuation, capitalization, etc. Spelling rules will be explained as needed but not memorized in K.

HTH!

How long are your days? What's the schedule like? I'm a first timer and there seems to be such a range of ideas people are using. You have a lot listed here. It all looks great just wondering how you fit it all in. If there is a way to send personal messages I would love for you to send me one about this. I am also starting cc, but on my own until my 3 year old and 4.5 year old can both go together because I have a baby too and the eldest really feels better expressing himself w/o me.

It's Kindergarten for my oldest child, and the school year begins in June. She turns 4 this May.

Reading (daily, 10-30 minutes) Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading as well as Bob Books to complement the lessons.

Writing (daily, 30 minutes) I plan to work through the Letters and Numbers for Me (K) and My Printing Book (1st Grade) workbooks from the Handwriting Without Tears program.

This child is particularly strong in handwriting, which is why I anticipate going through both levels in just one year. Of course and as always, que sera sera.

Math (daily, 30 minutes) RightStart Level A, 2nd Edition

Edited to add frequency and times.

Is anyone out there using a "boxed" curriculum for K? I want to start my soon to be 5 1/2 year old daughter but am still unsure to go with HOD, SL or Eclectic. Thanks!

My 5 year old dd just started HOD Little Hearts today along with AAR 1 and she loved it! :001_smile: This is my second time going through Little Hearts.

We started K4 last fall, spent most of the year with things that didn't work for us. We average 3.5 days of learning a week

Math: Mep Reception (recently moved, was too teacher intensive for the chaos that we were in), Professor B Mathematics Power Learning Text not online (started at the beginning, help with 1-10 concept and basic addition, however it was a good fit for me. apparently I need workbooks.) Currently using Math Mammoth and we are loving it. We average about a page and a half a day.

Phonics: tried loads of curriculum spending about a month on each before decided it wasn't working: Ordinary Parent guide to Reading (already knew letters and sounds, but no retention of the words) Phonics Pathways (two letter blends was pulling teeth), Explode the code Ready Set Go primers (too easy), Explode the code 1 workbook (wishful thinking) Teaching with Bob (started to see some progress, but wasn't comfortable teaching everything as a sight word) They were all great programs, he just wasn't ready yet. We opted for more Phonemic Awareness. We ended up with Plaid Phonics level A. First section is a review section which we are still in, the in moves onto blends. He likes the book, not sure how the transition to blends will go. We will continue using the workbook till we start up K5 in the fall. I did buy a very cheap copy of the teacher's guide and do one activity a day they suggest, these seem to help a lot.

Plan for K5: 4-5 days of learning a week

Math: continue Math Mammoth, but do a fifth day math with Life of Fred (10-15 min a day)

Phonics: as much as we are enjoying Plaid Phonics, I really liked Explode the Code, so we are going to try that again. (10-15 min a day)

Reading: I Can Read It! series is really close lesson wise to ETC (10-15 min a day)

Grammar: mid-year introduce SBW First Language Lessons (length of lesson)

History: very light 1-2 times a week American History lesson with the I Love America curriculum plus books from the library. (length of lesson)

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears either the K or 1 workbook, not sure yet. (a page a day)

We did have a kindergartner....for a week, lol. We were using Oak Meadow K (love this!) with other waldorf-y bits and pieces

We've had to push him back to another pre-k year to concentrate on his speech, fine motor and listening/comprehension skills.

So for his Pre-K / K5/6 year he'll be doing:

*Waldorf Kindergarten (Live Education) + Normal Waldorf Home Activities we already do (daily act Mon-Painting, Fri-Practical Life etc)

*Play & Learn French

*Nature Activities & Stories

*Developing the Early Learner

*Super Star Speech Expanded + Super Star Language

*Kumon Books

*Rowing books (ala FIAR) with books chosen from BFIAR & FIAR and some non-fiar books along with activities on my pinterest board

*Core Knowledge Preschool Activity Sheets (his lil sister does CK Preschool+activity book, he mostly just does the sheets, and isn't interested in the rest)

*Following along when he wants to on his sisters 1st Grade OM

Boys are usually a bit behind the curve anyway, and with him being on the cusp of the cut-off age for age of when to begin 1st grade, plus his other needs, we decided it was better to just have a year where we just concentrate mainly on his speech, fine motor and listening/comp. so he'll be doing first grade work when he's 7 1/2 - 8 1/2.

And we don't do formal learning in summer (US winter), so we have a 3 month (approx. Life intervenes :p ) break from 21dec-21mar. We are a mix of unschool/waldorf & just us. We've learned our lesson the hard way with this, any school just doesn't get done. Summer gets way too hot here (Aus country) to do much of anything in the way of formal schooling, everyone just gets frustrated/cranky too easily. Summer plans for this year are activity bags. I plan to use large ziplock bags and just fill each up with an activity of some sort (probably mostly science experiments, my kids are nuts about science), I'll do this over the school year with ideas from my pinterest boards and by the time summer comes along, hopefully I will have a good stash of learning/schooly activities for them to do if they are bored or want "school". So summer school consists of activity bags and weekly visits to somewhere (museums, reserves, etc).

So next year we'll pick up OMK again. Glad I finally found a curriculum that works for us! (and ironically both of the curric's I pooh pahed right at the beginning of researching about homeschooling (FIAR & OM) are now ones we are using, after 3 years of jumping around like crazy).

These are my plans thus far for my Dd5, she will be starting K in the fall

Reading/Phonics: Continue with OPGTR

Handwriting: ZB K

Math: RS A and maybe part of B

Spelling: AAS level 1

Literature: Sonlight P3/4 (she will be using this alongside her 3.5 year old sister)

Science and History: Join 7yo sister when interested

P.E.: Family Time Fitness, and iceskating

Almost forgot about art, a favorite at our house. We will do art all together, we will be using a combo of Artistic Pursuits and Home Art Studio. I hope to have time to add in some artist studies as well, we will see what we have time for.

This will be my first year homeschooling on my own, so this is the plan with room for adjustment as needed...

• Reading: OPGTR, I See Sam Readers
  • Writing: Zaner-Bloser handwriting worksheets made with Startwrite, Copying the Basics: Zaner-Bloser 1-A by Bogart Family Resources
  • Grammar: FLL 1
  • Math: MUS Primer
  • Art: Artistic Pursuits

I intend for the above to be the core of DD's schoolwork but she will also sit in with her first grade brother for science and history, participating as much as she wants. We also use the library frequently and she will join the entire family for read-alouds, field trips, and plenty of outdoor play and learning. I'm still trying to figure out what will work best for our family as far as bible and character studies. We have purchased DD a devotional and are going to work on developing a habit of personal devotional time for each of our kids.

My son's birthday is in January so according to the public school schedule he wouldn't be starting Kindergarten until fall 2014. I think I'll be calling next year his K4 year and it depends on how he progresses whether 2014/15 will be K5 or 1st. We school year round but at a slow and relaxed pace.

Writing: HWOT Kindergarten

Reading: we're using OPGTTR and Bob Books, hopefully starting AAR-1 in the fall.

Math: Right Start 2nd Edition Level A (thank you Nana!)

Science & History: Going to be doing a year long (or more) study of prehistory-- big bang through early hominids. Undecided whether to do a separate science program but looking at BFSU and Elemental Science. Really want to find a science program that discusses the age of the earth and evolution all the way through, not just a brief paragraph in the high school years!

Literature: Lots of books from the library. Right now I pick a theme every few weeks and we read, read, read. Hoping to add more chapter book read alouds, so far he loses interest in them so we're stuck with picture books.

Arts and Crafts: No specific program at this point, just letting him experience different mediums-- doing his own open ended art. We also do a lot of crafts that I find on the internet to tie into what we're reading at the moment.

Logic: Lollipop Logic

DD will be 5 in May, and my 3rd going through K. We are usingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Math- Japanese Math 1, Miquon Orange/Red, and MUS Alpha

Reading- The Reading Lesson, AAS as a reading program, McGuffey Primer

Handwriting- A Reason for Handwriting K/ R&S D and F workbooks

Science- World Animals study and weekly Nature Study

History- World Geography study using Expedition Earth, Home Art Studio, and the following booklist:

How to Make an Apple PieĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Sweet Baby Moon

The Story About Ping

The Korean Cinderella

Same, Same But Different

A Pair of Red Clogs

Celebrate! Jewish Holidays

Elephants of the Tsunami

Another Celebrated Dancing Bear

The Glorious Flight

Madeline

The Clown of God

Papa Piccolo

The Hole in the Dike

The Librarian Who MeasuredĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

The Balloon Sailors

The Story of Ferdinand

Very Last First Time

The Snowy Day

Blueberries For Sal

Cactus Soup

So Say the Little Monkeys

The Streets Are Free

Conejito

Up and Down the Andes

My Mama's Little Ranch on theĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

At the Crossroads

First Come the Zebra

Mirror

Maddy's Amazing African Birthday

The Giraffe That Walked to Paris

Over in Austrailia

Herbert: The True StoryĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Tom Crean's Rabbit

Over in the Arctic

Christmas Around the World

Will We Miss Them?

Animals and Their Young

Burgess Animal Book

Just So Stories

Tree in the Trail

Missionary Stories With the Millers

DS will be 5 next month. We've been doing pre-k with him but he's getting bored. So speeding that up to keep him busy while we finalize kindergarten. He's kinda...all over the place. We'll be doing 2 years technically of kindergarten - announcing him to the state at 6 years old to put him at the older end of things for any extras like little league, which he needs, but doing whatever work level he's on. So he'll be kindergarten officially next year for the state and such..but whatever for the family.

This is going to look like a ton - but it's spaced out throughout the day/week/year, not all at once and with short lessons. Like science might be 2 times a week probably but handwriting for only 5-10 minutes every week day. We'll have to find the groove. DS is the type that you keep him challenged and working on something, he's happy. You don't...he's bored and no one is happy, lol. Plus he needs that routine. We'll be starting this in the fall most likely, though we might do it sooner. We tend to pull things from all over the place to meet his needs.

Reading/Phonics/LA - Learning Language Arts through Literature Blue, FLL 1 as needed for any extra practice, lots of readers like the I Can Read series or the books that come with LLATL as well as read alouds from Ambleside Online and Simply Charlotte Mason.

Handwriting - Cursive lessons I make with some guidance from Teach Me Joy's handwriting program (for strokes and such).

Math - C-rods with Education Unboxed, then moving into Ray's Arithmetic and Math Mammoth 1

Science - Elemental Science's "Exploring Science" along with nature studies and lapbooks, as seasons, weather, and interests go.

History/Geography - US Road Trip from Confessions of a Homeschooler

Music - Just listening to classical pieces, talking about them, learning songs, playing on the keyboard with daddy, recorder with mom

Art - Artistic Pursuits "The Way They See It", just generally going nuts with the paint, crafts, and markers

Life Skills/Health and Safety - Living Your Life from Connect the Thoughts

My DS will be 5 in November, but wouldn't be able to start K until Sept of 2014. We've been consistently "doing school" 3 times a week for...months now and he's making huge progress in a lot of ways right now. I'm planning on moving forward with these curriculums in the next month. He's going to be "way ahead" but I just really want to harness this love of learning he's got going now. I just hope we don't burn out. My DD is 3 this summer & I'm going to get her a few things too. If I don't give her something to do during "school" it's disasterous. Within the next year or so I suspect she'll be caught up to big brother & they'll be doing very close to the same thing (just by way of exposure)

Phonics: The Reading Lesson & Bob books. We'll probably move on to AAR at some point.

Handwriting: HWT (I'll get the PreK for DD, too).

Math: Singapore Essentials (Considering getting Earlybird for DD but I think it might be too advanced at this point)

We'll be doing Science in the form of unit studies with whatever they're interested in. Next month we're going to get live caterpillars and observe them turning into butterflies. For language we'll continue with ASL (they learned as babies, and have more or less continued-and DS2 is learning signs now too). History will be by way of "real books". I'm itching to read the Little House series sooner than later. :) I plan on getting Lollipop Logic for fun :) And we also have Expedition Earth & Road Trip USA from Confessions of a Homeschooler that we'll throw in there somewhere, maybe. :)

Dd doesn't officially start kindergarten until the fall, but just in the last few weeks I've started requiring her to do a bit of kindergarten level school work with me each day. I have an idea of what we'll use to start off the year (continuation of what we're doing now, basically) but since at this point it's hard to say what we'll use as the year goes on. I'll just have to wait and see how she progresses with her reading and writing and adjust accordingly.

For now, however:

-OPGTP w/Bob Books, Starfall, LeapFrog DVDs and other phonics readers. Will progress to the Sonlight beginning readers as able.

-Wee Folk Art for seasonal books and activities

-Will finish Before the Code series, not sure whether we'll move onto ETC 1.

-D'Nealian handwriting using various online resources and these two workbooks: lowercase & uppercase. We'll start some simple copywork using our Draw, Write, Now books as her writing improves.

-Cuisinaire Rods, Miquon and Gattegno Mathematics 1

-My First Art Sticker Book

-Daily calendar time

-Will follow along with SOTW Ancients (she already does this with her older brother) and lot of supplemental materials to go along with it.

-lots of Mother Goose, fairy tales, Aesop's Fables

-possibly Song School Latin

-following along with her brother's science supplemented with Magic School Bus videos, Let's Read and Find Out books, will plant her own garden box, hatch butterflies and/or mantis, grow tadpoles, raise a baby chick (we have chickens anyhow), etc.

-Geopuzzles

-possibly Language Lessons for Little Ones Vol. 3

DS will be doing the following this fall:

Oak Meadow Kindergarten

OPGTTR + AAR Pre-1 + Get Ready for the Code Series

Singapore Essentials Kindergarten + MEP Reception

Getty Dubay A

Wee Folk Art for fun seasonal activities

Arabic

Religious Instruction

I originally thought this looked like A LOT but once I started planning it all out I saw it won't be too heavy and blends quite nicely.

We school year round so that I can take lots of mental health days (weeks ;)), but her official line-up will look like this 4 days / week --

Reading: OPGTR (Progressive Phonics to supplement) All About Reading (it's just a better fit for her learning style)

Math: Singapore Early Bird B / MEP reception to Year 1 / Bits and pieces of Miquon Orange

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (Nature Study & Gardening to supplement)

History: SOTW 1 (we're only doing this because her sister is starting SOTW this year, so I've been mixing things up a bit to have things for a non-reader/writer to do)

Spanish: Salsa Spanish w/ Wyoming DoE lesson plans & Spanish for Children (sloooooowly)

Play with Friends: we're in a couple of homschooling groups to play, do projects, go on field trips, etc

She's also started taking Violin lessons with a good friend for fun, but it would be nice if she continues doing that over the next year too.

Edited - I forgot spanish *doh*

I plan to do year-round schooling and dd's preschool program is ending in May so we'll pick up where they stop. Routines and schedules make my life happy, so it just makes sense to start right away.

Phonics/Reading: OPGTR / ETC / Happy Phonics / FLL1*

Math: Singapore Essentials / Miquon / Education Unboxed / Mammoth Math (if/when we get there)

Handwriting: HWOT**.

Extras: Draw Write Now, FIAR, Wee Folk Art***, Science and Social Studies as we come to them for fun. Debating a Geography year as well, but think I'm getting over my self.

That is about as far as I've gotten. Thinking it's good to start there and then we'll add and grow as time, interests, abilities show themselves.

*Read somewhere that it seemed to work much better starting before grade 1 and seeing how overwhelmingly repetitive it is, I will add it in when I think we're ready to add it in.

** I have it so I'm going to use it. Still hate the look of the letters, but oh well

*** Printed this all out for preschool and did only a few weeks before out-of-home preschool program started and we dropped everything.

We take it easy during K but he'll be joining in his 1st grade sister's curriculum if he feels like doing so.

Reading: OPGTR and Bob Books (if he doesn't finish them all this summer which is highly likely that he will finish) along with other readers.

Writing: Handwriting Without Tears K.

Math: MUS Primer

He'll join his sister in Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry and likely listen to SOTW volume 1. He might do some All About Spelling level 1 if he's in the mood but I won't require him to do it with us. Of course, he'll listen to the read alouds that we do too. Oops, I forgot that for Bible we'll read from The Jesus Storybook Bible and A Child's Story Bible as well as attending AWANA and Sunday school classes.

I haven't read the responses but I have a K'er now, she will be starting 1st grade in the fall. I figured I would post what we used this year, anyway.

Reading: OPGTR (We Love LOVE this!)

Read Alouds (Chapter books)

Readers on her level

Math: Saxon Kindergarten Home Study Kit (she finished this about half way through the year. It was way easy.)

1st Grade Math workbooks (Scholastic, Workbooks from Walmart, etc.)

We just practiced math from the CK standards after Saxon was competed.

Writing: Nothin! We would practice everyday writing the date and then a couple sentences.

Science: Pick a topic. Get a ton of library books. Read, read, read. Record some facts and do experiments/crafts/whatever.

History: Same as above.

Music: Listened to classical music while she did her "Art"

Art: Usually creating a picture to go with notebook page... or illustrating what I was reading to her from read aloud.

Very calm and casual. :)

The plan for DD2 for this fall:

SM EM B, onto MM1 if she works through it quickly

OPGTR

English for the Thoughtful Child

BSFU

Finish R&S Spanish 1, includes handwriting

Sonlight Core A read alouds and possibly readers

We will also have a weekly coop that has various enrichment classes.

So far I have purchased:

Right Start Level A

More Mudpies to Magnets

Lollipop Logic

FIAR

The Family Virtues Guide

FLL

Ancient Creature Cards

All About Spelling

EB Singapore Math

Hi! :seeya: Welcome to homeschooling!

I'll have my third kindergarten student next year:

Language Arts: finish HWT K, then start copywork and more handwriting (HWT or CHC?)
AAS 1 (we spell our way into reading) and some reading games
once she jumps into reading we'll start OPGTR and borrow reader books from the library

Math: Some combination of RightStart, Singapore, and living math

Religion: read through a children's Bible (not sure which one we'll use yet)
Little Acts of Grace & Little Acts of Grace 2
Saint Stories
Various other books I have hanging around

Tag along with big siblings: World Cultures and Sassafras Zoology

Plus read-alouds that I'll pick that I like for this age.

We went ahead and started K with my just-turned five year old because I'm due in September ;) We're taking it nice and slow. We're using:

Oak Meadow K

Singapore essential kindergarten A

Scholastic's A Year of Hands on Science.

I plan to use Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method this summer, too.

I just got Explode the Code so we'll probably start that soon.

Various early readers- we're liking Dick and Jane right now.

This will also be our first year joining the local homeschool co-op for some classes- mostly art-type, circle classes for both my almost three year old and the five year old. I had also planned to sign the five year old up for an elementary homeschool music class, but I'm hesitating now thinking it might be too much.

If soccer goes well this spring we might do soccer again instead.

My dd will be 5 in the fall:

* We'll be trying out a Classical Conversations group & building on that for our science (Astronomy/ Ecology/ Physics this year) & history using library books & other projects off the internet

* Phonics: I just bought a Memoria Press complete curriculum guide, so I'm thinking I'm going to use their stuff: First Start Reading & Classical Phonics (We have been using OPGTR & BOB Books & may continue to do that if I don't like FSR)

* Math: Saxon 1 (We did K this year & I liked it)

* Handwriting: HWT-K & MP

* Geography: More building on CC & Evan-Moore Beginning Geography

Really excited to start!

Charlie's Playhouse timelines are available again!

In reading this thread I noticed several of you who were disappointed that Charlie's Playhouse seemed to have gone out of business, so I thought I would let you know that it seems to be back up.

I just received both the timeline and the ancient creature cards through their Amazon shop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZE4BUS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?qid=1291647207&ref_=sr_1_2&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-2

Here is Charlie's Playhouse site as well:

http://www.charliesplayhouse.com/giant-evolution-timeline-poster.php

Charlie's Playhouse timelines are available again!

In reading this thread I noticed several of you who were disappointed that Charlie's Playhouse seemed to have gone out of business, so I thought I would let you know that it seems to be back up.

I just received both the timeline and the ancient creature cards through their Amazon shop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZE4BUS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?qid=1291647207&ref_=sr_1_2&s=toys-and-games&sr=1-2

Here is Charlie's Playhouse site as well:

http://www.charliesplayhouse.com/giant-evolution-timeline-poster.php

Thank you! We have the cards already, just ordered the timeline poster!