Menu

KIndergarten Roundup!

AimeeM

What is everyone using for their rising Kinders this fall (or whenever you start, lol)?

So far (and this is subject to change since I won't order until May, lol) we are planning on:

Phonics: AAR level 1

Math: Math Mammoth 1

Writing: Memoria Press, then Catholic Heritage Curriculum handwriting

Science: Magic School Bus dvds

Religion: Seton Religion Pre K (he'll only be barely 4 this fall)

supplemental religion and other literature

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KIndergarten starting in the fall

Science: ES Intro. to Science and sit in on sibling's science when she wants to

History: Story of the World 2 with sibling on a basic level (she sits in on SOTW 1 now and colors, does mapping, and whatever projects we do most of the time)

Math: Probably a combo. of things. Right now she's in K Essential Math B and does it whenever she feels like it. We'll probably play a lot of games, maybe do McRuffy K Color Math as I have it, we'll see

Reading: Combo. of things continuing on from where she is now - OPGTR, I See Sam books, Reading Eggs, etc.... whatever works for the day; I have a lot of phonics things here (I'm not a curricula junkie or anything haha)

ETC (in Book 1 now - we just do it when she wants to)

Probably try Zaner-Bloser writing. We've done HWT, but the line thing is confusing for her when she writes anywhere else.

Home Art Studio Kindergarten (will include at least one older sibling in this as well)

Dance classes

DS will be doing K4 starting in the late summer/fall. I'm gonna take it slow and add things in when it seems appropriate, but these are what I imagine us doing once we get rolling:

- OPGTTR

- Singapore Essentials K

- Miquon

- Zaner Bloser handwriting workbooks

- lots of interest-led library books

We'll call it K sometime around July since she turns 5 in June, but we just move along as we finish things. So this list is just where we're headed next, maybe next week, maybe not until December.

Reading- wherever we are in hooked on phonics and reading eggs.

Writing - HWT K

Math - SM1

Sonlight p4/5

Science- DK first human body encyclopedia, MSB body experiment kit then DK first space encyclopedia and MSB space kit. (Currently working through animals).

Building thinking skills primary.

ETA: AWANA, gymnastics/dance, and maybe starting piano or violin.

We started K last month. Might seem a long list, but she is an older Ker and she's always been one to enjoy the formal structure. Her younger brother's list will not look anything like this when his turn comes, I'm sure! We probably do an hour or so in the morning and another in the afternoon. That includes screen time but not literature.

Reading- Adapted version of ElizabethB's phonics lessons and 'I See Sam' readers.

Writing- Spencerian (not really *expecting* success, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.)

Maths- Counting songs for the moment, will start MEP R next week and supplement with Education Unboxed vids occasionally

Arabic- Little Pim

Auslan- Youtube clips mostly

Memory work- Nursery rhymes (colouring books and Youtube vids)

Geography- Books and dvds, some puzzles and the Kumon world monuments maze book

Prehistory- Books and dvds, Charlie's Playhouse timeline,

Fairy Tale study- Lang's books, some colouring books, movie versions from the library or Youtube.

Music- Very baby beginners stuff from A Note for Children, an Australian program and Youtube clips. Contemplating getting some informal guitar lessons from a neighbour, but for now it is too hot to be bothered.

Art- Whatever is lying around, when I feel inspired (which is not in this hot weather) though she's beginning a homeschoolers art class in a few weeks.

Nature Study- Road trips, mooching about on our property + some journal pages I bought as an ebook

Literature- Kids classics from my childhood collection, a crazy stack nearly piled up to the ceiling. To be supplemented with audiobooks when my brother gets around to installing the mp3 player in the car he promised me for Christmas!

You have a timeline! Lucky. They went out of business, it appears, before I could grab one. *grumble*

We started K last month. Might seem a long list, but she is an older Ker and she's always been one to enjoy the formal structure. Her younger brother's list will not look anything like this when his turn comes, I'm sure! We probably do an hour or so in the morning and another in the afternoon. That includes screen time but not literature.

Reading- Adapted version of ElizabethB's phonics lessons and 'I See Sam' readers.

Writing- Spencerian (not really *expecting* success, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.)

Maths- Counting songs for the moment, will start MEP R next week and supplement with Education Unboxed vids occasionally

Arabic- Little Pim

Auslan- Youtube clips mostly

Memory work- Nursery rhymes (colouring books and Youtube vids)

Geography- Books and dvds, some puzzles and the Kumon world monuments maze book

Prehistory- Books and dvds, Charlie's Playhouse timeline,

Fairy Tale study- Lang's books, some colouring books, movie versions from the library or Youtube.

Music- Very baby beginners stuff from A Note for Children, an Australian program and Youtube clips. Contemplating getting some informal guitar lessons from a neighbour, but for now it is too hot to be bothered.

Art- Whatever is lying around, when I feel inspired (which is not in this hot weather) though she's beginning a homeschoolers art class in a few weeks.

Nature Study- Road trips, mooching about on our property + some journal pages I bought as an ebook

Literature- Kids classics from my childhood collection, a crazy stack nearly piled up to the ceiling. To be supplemented with audiobooks when my brother gets around to installing the mp3 player in the car he promised me for Christmas!

I'm planning on having DS4 start K in late fall after he turns 5. We're keeping it simple.

Phonics - Abeka Handbook for Reading + their phonics workbooks & readers

Handwriting - Abeka manuscript

Math - Rod & Staff 1

Character/Bible - Our 24 Family Ways + Truth and Grace Memory Book #1

I plan to read aloud to him for 15-20 minutes per day, and he'll get to watch educational videos (Leapfrog, science or nature documentaries with his big brothers, etc.) throughout the week. I also plan on having him complete different activities weekly to further improve his fine motor skills, like M=puzzles/mazes/hidden pictures, T=cutting/pasting, W=coloring/drawing/tracing, T=watercolors/fingerpaints/play-dough, F=pony beads patterns/legos.

He will also continue to listen to audiobooks during his rest time each day.

We're starting this summer probably. DD finishes at her preschool in May. All of us need structure around here, so I think we'll start in the summer. Here's my plan:

Math: Singapore Essentials B

Character: We Choose Virtues - already doing this

Reading: BOB Books

Science: Science Play book and tagging along with DS w/ Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy

Social Studies: Tagging along with DS w/ TruthQuest American History

Next Spring, she'll start Winning with Writing and Growing with Grammar Level 1. We already have these, so we'll start when she's ready. She will be an older Kindergartner.

Oh, and we'll be going to a Co-op, but I don't know yet which classes will be available for her.

DS turned five last August but wasn't ready for K then. We just started around the first of the year with a more "formal" schedule. This is what we're doing:

Reading: AAR1 and probably move on to AAR2 after that but I can't quite decide. I want to use LOE for sure, but don't know when I will start that. Also we are speeding through ETC A, B,and C.

Writing: Zaner-Bloser K

Math: A mix of Singapore Essentials B, Miquon Orange and MEP Y1.

Science: science books from SL P4/5 and Magic School Bus DVDs

We also just started Elemental History's American History with History Pockets, but this is gravy, the other stuff gets done first.

Read alouds from SL P4/5 and EH plus whatever else looks good.

I have one. She'll be my fifth pass through kindergarten, but her book list is uniquely hers. She has been interested in academics since she was 3, and has insisted on daily math and writing assignments for some time now.

Phonics: continue Writing Road to Reading, at the speed she sets (New to me. My older kids all used Phonics Pathways.)

Reading: Veritas Press First Favorites (she'll probably finish the K books by summer)

Math: Rod and Staff math, finish 1 and start 2

Writing: penmanship as she works through her phonics, and simple copywork

Bible: Catherine Vos children's Bible read aloud

She'll also do geography, at her own request, with Legends and Leagues (Veritas Press). And some plant activities from Green Thumbs.

I expect her jump into her rising third grade sister's nature science and ancient history wherever she can, but it won't be required of her.

Formal K stuff:

Math: Singapore 1A/1B and Miquon

Phonics: OPGTR

Reading: Bob Books/McGuffey Readers, mom-made read aloud checklist

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser K

Geography: Evan-Moor Beginning Geography

Logic/Critical Thinking: Lollipop Logic Books 2&3

DS asked for the last two (puzzles and "map school"), and they'll be nice workbooks to have around when new baby gets here in the fall.

Informal K stuff:

Prehistory - read aloud and documentary list, activities, and trips. I wish I'd found the Charlie's Playhouse timeline, too!

Nature Study - field guides, binoculars, and good trail hiking shoes!

Art/Music - free play and listening to everything from Bach to Basie to the Beatles.

Spanish - teach a few phrases and identify objects in Spanish... if I remember...

Formal K stuff:

Math: Singapore 1A/1B and Miquon

Phonics: OPGTR

Reading: Bob Books/McGuffey Readers, mom-made read aloud checklist

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser K

Geography: Evan-Moor Beginning Geography

Logic/Critical Thinking: Lollipop Logic Books 2&3

DS asked for the last two (puzzles and "map school"), and they'll be nice workbooks to have around when new baby gets here in the fall.

Informal K stuff:

Prehistory - read aloud and documentary list, activities, and trips. I wish I'd found the Charlie's Playhouse timeline, too!

Nature Study - field guides, binoculars, and good trail hiking shoes!

Art/Music - free play and listening to everything from Bach to Basie to the Beatles.

Spanish - teach a few phrases and identify objects in Spanish... if I remember...

I know! Kindergarten is a great time for prehistory and the timeline would have been nice. I have the ancient creature cards that are still sold on Amazon by the same company, but there is no timeline :(

We started K in January.

Daily

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Math: Singapore Essentials meshed with Math-U-See Primer

Phonics: LOE Foundations, Reading Made Easy, and ETC

Literature: Peak with Books

Once or Twice a Week:

Science: Exploring Science by Elemental Science

Geography: My own lesson plans using a plethora of different resources. Doing this with her big sister and some friends.

Logic: Lollipop Logic

Spanish: Salsa Spanish

Nature Study: The Nature Connection

I'm still pretty torn. My older DD will turn 5 in August and is excited to do K (currently doing MP JK). I will probably "officially" start K after her birthday. This past year, she insisted on starting school on the evening of her birthday and cried when I told her we would start the next morning! I hadn't planned to start til September but I'd told her we would start school after her birthday.....she took that very literally! lol

anyway, in general, I'm planning to do the MP K package with some possible substitutions ....

Reading: AAR1 or FSR (maybe with AAS1)

Math: Singapore MIF K (got a crazy good price) or R&S (MP plans)

Writing: MP

Lit: MP list, Aesop's Fables, other fairy tales etc we already have

Religion/Catechism: Bible stories and continuing to learn prayers. But I haven't really figured this one out, maybe "god's chats with little ones" or just reading the St Joseph books, and/or the Rosemarie Gortler books . I haven't found a program I really like yet.

Science: MP guide, Learning resources science kits, Magic School bus vids, Wild Kratts (they _love_ this show!), Elemental Science: Intro to Science, Usborne Childrens Encyclopedia (maybe get some of the next age ones from Usborne or DK)…. …? Still quite torn. probably will be pretty informal this year with some fun hands on things to play with.

History/Classical: (Aesop’s fables), maybe Elemental History (American) if everything else is going well. if not the whole program, then the read alouds

Art/Music Appreciation: MP plans

For Fun:

Geography: Evan-Moore Beginning Geography, Geopuzzles: US, & maybe more (she loves maps!)

Art & Crafts: MP enrichments; &/or Evan Moore: Seasonal activities or Art for All Seasons (I’m completely NOT creative and need it all put together for me :))

I’m really interested in the Lollipop Logic books so I may add those in.

Speech and OT

Gymnastics

Some challenges came up this year & some recent diagnoses are contributing to my indecision on our curriculum. My whole plan has gotten more complicated than I'd ever thought it would be…I’ll first focus on reading and arithmetic and then worry about adding the rest, of course reading aloud to her will continue

We have done K4 this year and will move into her K5 curriculum in July.

HOD LHFHG

AAR Level 1 (will probably move on to level 2 as well)

Singapore Math 1A/1B

FLL1

HWOT K

RS4K Astronomy pre-level

ETC (continue with whatever book we are in at the time)

We will also be doing a homeschool co-op once a week. The classes are not posted yet though.

***Edited to add FLL 1

I know! Kindergarten is a great time for prehistory and the timeline would have been nice. I have the ancient creature cards that are still sold on Amazon by the same company, but there is no timeline :(

My kids love our timeline - I'm so glad we have it. Someday I'll resell it, but I'm guessing that it won't be for many years as even my 11 year old still likes it. I think it's so sad that she's no longer selling these!

It depends on how far we get with preK work and whether we work over the summer. I know we will do the following:

SM early bird and Mortensen Math manipulative work. I have a School Zone math game that helped DS really understand addition and subtraction up through regrouping. We are playing that some.

What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know - I use this to base our science, history, poetry memorization, and literature stidies off of. We read the topic in the book and then find books at the library, some for her to read to me, some for me to read to her.

Handwriting is a variety of workbooks and eventually Bible copywork.

Reading and phonics is up in the air. We are learning to read now, it just depends on how well we do with our new method....

Wow! I'm so impressed with the details some of you already have lined up. :)

I have twins who just recently turned 5. I wanted to hold them off till the fall, but they were BEGGING and I already had most of their stuff. So, we started last week and will be going slowly. They are doing:

MFW K for phonics, limited Bible and randomly doing the other activities included in the curriculum (We did K last year with their older brother)

Magic School Bus DVD's

possibly Singapore Math K Essentials, I haven't decided yet.

They tag along with thier brother who is in MFW 1st

Not much. Dd2 isn't as bookish as her sister is and I'm not convinced that doing all the stuff we did with dd1 was worth the effort. Although she can't register as a kindergarten student until the fall, we're doing the very occasional 100 Easy Lessons and IXL lesson. She also plays on her free trial of reading eggs.

We might continue that in the fall on a more regular schedule or we might just do lots of read alouds. I haven't decided yet.

I will be combining my 5yo K daughter & my 3yo son:

TATRAS

Fairy Tale Picture Books

Memory Work & singing (Circle Time)

Italic Handwriting pages made with Startwrite

MUS Primer (she's already halfway through the book, and I have Alpha waiting in the wings)

Plus, I'll make sure they go outside as much as possible, help me with the garden, cook dinner with me, and have daily chores and learn to pick up their own things. That's as important to me as the lesson plans.

My youngest has autism, so we'll be incorporating some of these into ABA and squeezing the others in here and there.

All About Reading: Pre-reading & (hopefully) Level 1

Math-U-See Alpha (we started Primer last month)

Handwriting Without Tears K

Big Skills for Little Hands workbooks (motor skills)

Nancy Larson Science K

Not much. Dd2 isn't as bookish as her sister is and I'm not convinced that doing all the stuff we did with dd1 was worth the effort. Although she can't register as a kindergarten student until the fall, we're doing the very occasional 100 Easy Lessons and IXL lesson. She also plays on her free trial of reading eggs.

We might continue that in the fall on a more regular schedule or we might just do lots of read alouds. I haven't decided yet.

My middle child was the same way. She really wasn't interested in doing much, so we were very light. My youngest though wants to do everything! :)

Emma will be using everything in my signature, then moving up to the next level when she finishes. She will start Getting Started with Latin, and Lively Latin ( very gently ). She will be doing Geography songs too. I think I will let her tag along with SOTW and Elemental Science Chemistry ( instead of doing two separate this year.

DD5 will start her official K year in late August. Most of what we will be doing will just be a continuation of the work she has been doing this year. She has an October birthday and will be an older K.

Phonics: continue with OPG plus ETC 1-3 as review

Reading: BOB books/SL K readers/American Language Series readers

Handwriting: finish HWT K/start HWT 1

Math: MM1/MEP1

Geography: Road Trip USA

Civics: Intellego Government and Citizenship

Memory Work: IEW poetry memorization

Latin: Song School Latin

Science: Elemental Science Intro to Science

History: SOTW1 plus AG

Vocabulary: Worldly Wise K

Logic: Lollipop Logic

Nature Study: Outdoor Hour Challenges

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Art: Meet the Masters

Literature: RAs from SL P3/4 and P4/5, RAs from Memoria Press

Extra: Kumon workbooks, ballet, maybe American Heritage Girls

I plan to add in WWE1, FLL1, and AAS1 at some point during the year if she is ready for them.

We've kind of begun K, just taking it at her pace. Nothing official, but in the last month we've moved into more K level work since she turned 5 in November.

-Currently more than halfway through AAR pre-level, AAR Level 1 next year

-Also using ETC, halfway through the 1st "Get Ready" book right now

-ARFH K

-SM book A right now, will just go at her pace

-FIAR

-Will use some of the Sonlight P4/5 books that I have from when my older 2 were this age, no schedule, just as desired.

-She'll join in with the older sibs as she wishes for science, history, Bible and art.

We've just started the following:

Essential Math

Reading - Word Mastery, A Beka ABC-123 (We're close to the end of that now. Will switch to some other workbook after, I guess.)

Handwriting Without Tears

Dot-to-Dot book (lol, his choice!)

Developing the Early Learner book 2

I'll just see what he's ready for whenever we finish these. He also listens to our history and science, but I don't make them do those until they're in 1st grade.

We will be doing our official K year with the following:

ETC 4-6

Memoria press- story time treasures

Queen homeschool -printing with pictures

AAS 1&2

Saxon math 2

God's Design science - universe/ weather / our world

Elemental history - Adventures in America with COAHS- road trip USA

We do not have to report/evaluate so we will probably "school" all year and not every day.

My son turns 5 this month, so we will probably start being more formal with kindergarten later this month. We will finish up Singapore K and continuing with ETC. He is just beginning to read some Bob books, so we will continue with those and plenty of read alouds. We will add in Handwriting Without Tears and BFSU maybe once a week.

I teach a once a month geography class for our very informal co-op that I will continue doing. Add in some occasional art projects and plenty of time spent outside and that will probably do it for us, at least for the time being.

My ds will continue on with what we started in January:

Phonics/reading/Spelling/handwriting: LOE foundations then moving on to? WRTR, LOE essentials, Phonics Road or AAR2/AAS. He currently does all the writing on a whiteboard or sensory boxes. We will transition to paper writing.

Literature and Informal History/Geography/Culture studies: FIAR plus various chapter books for bed-time reading.

Math: RS A moving on to B if we finish.

Science: ES- Intro to Science, weekly nature walks at nature center and monthly homeschool classes at the zoo.

Art: Projects with FIAR, Artistic Pursuits - The Way They See It and free art.

Bible and character: Reading through the Golden's Children's Bible, Leading Little Ones To God, and FIAR Character Supplement.

Miscellaneous:

The majority of required "school" time will be building blocks, Legos, Marble runs, play-doh, puzzles, etc. (I know must people consider this free play: but my boys play superheroes, knights, pirates, etc during their free time and blocks are more likely to be projectiles than building materials. When they are safely tucked into the school area they actually BUILD with them in relative calmness and I don't find them all over the house. As an added plus, mommy gets a little building time in too.)

Dot to dot, Maze books and maybe Building Thinking Skills, Mindbenders or Lollipop Logic)

"Required" outside play time.

That pretty much somes it up.

Here is our K plan:

-AAR 1

-SM Essentials

-Education Unboxed for math concepts

-Handwriting pages from Donnayoung.org (nice HUGE lines to write on)

-Memory work (address, Bible verses, skip counting, learning songs, calendar, geography, some info from What Does Your K Need to Know)

-Just starting to try some nature study with lapbooking (doing birds first, then plan to do plants and bugs)

-Mom reads picture books daily

-He *loves* to color and glue, so we're starting to keep a binder with pictures and minibooks related to his memory work and nature study. It gives him some independent work (which *I* need) and will make a nice keepsake at the end of the year.

Joining the older for hymn study and character training, Tae Kwon Do, life skills (peeling carrots, folding laundry, scrubbing the bathtub, etc)

Current Plan for Kindergarten 2013 - 2014

Math - MEP 1, Introduce Math Facts

Science - Home Grown Space and Human Anatomy

Geography and Map Skills - Home Grown

Art - ArtPac 1

HW/Copywork - undecided (we'll see where we are as we get closer)

Reading - Treadwell, Baldwin, and McGuffy Readers (2, 2, 2, possibly 3 depending how fast we go)

Habit Training, Bible And Hymn Memory Work, Life Skills

Some Lapbooking/ Notebooking

Lots of Reading Aloud and Exploring Outside

Dance and possibly Soccer or Tball

Dr. Jones just turned 5 this week. She will be K this fall while my oldest is going into 1st.

Phonics: she should be done with OPGTR this spring. At that point I will just have her read aloud to me.

Math: continue with mm1 very slowly. I will also use mep 1 and some Singapore workbooks depending on how much review she needs.

Continue with FLL

Start WWE sometime in the fall and continue with copywork

Read alouds including CHOW which all the girls LOVE

That is the main schooly stuff. We do a lot of memory work cause it works for us. The girls like it. Geography,poetry,qoutes,history,science are all covered. I do a lot of arts/crafts because that's what I enjoy too. I am trying to work on adding more science exploration besides nature study. I have some kits and books but just don't get to it much.

Well, we're doing a fairly structured preschool this year and my K plans are mostly just a continuation of that. Also I keep going back and forth on whether I am considering this fall her K year. According to our state, she misses the cutoff by 5 days, but I think we'll consider it K anyways. Either way, our plans are the same:

Reading: continue OPGTR. Also do reading time where she will read real books to me.

Math: finish Essential Math B, continue Miquon Orange. We're mostly going to focus on number skills with Education Unboxed and Kitchen Table Math as guides, though. If I feel like those are fairly solid, we'll go ahead and start MM1

Handwriting: finish HWT preK and start HWT K

Spelling: AAS

Science: Once a week program at the Botanical Garden

Those are the most important things. Other stuff we'll do is continue daily calendar, map study, and my homemade memorization lists. I'm sure I might add stuff, but that's what I have so far.

[i edited this post because I got a clearer view of what we will be doing]

We've been doing K4 this year and will start "Kindergarten proper" in the fall. ;-) Here's our plan:

* Continuing OPGTR and Reading Eggs.

* Continuing Right Start Math A.

* Continuing Ecoutez Parlez for French and adding in our own fun stuff and additional topics.

* A Reason For Handwriting K.

* A core curriculum centered on world geography that I'm designing - I'm finding lovely picture books from different countries all over the world, so each week we will read a picture book, a nonfiction book about that country, find everything on the map, and then do some kind of art or cooking project. I like to focus on projects that actually create something usable; so, for example, rather than weaving paper strips together when we learn about weaving, we are going to make an actual throw rug on a hula hoop frame. Hee hee! :) That's how I get my Charlotte Mason-style handicrafts in at K level. The reasoning behind doing the world geography core was to acquaint the kids with basic geography and a sense of different cultures before we start mapwork and history in earnest next year.

* Geography Songs - to complement our core work.

* Bible - right now we use The Jesus Storybook Bible as our spine and do memorization. Might investigate something more structured, like Grapevine or Bible Study Guide for All Ages. Not sure yet.

* Artist and composer studies every other week, with friends in a little co-op.

* Science....no clue. Not a huge priority for me this year. I'd like the kids to be outside more and do a Charlotte Mason-esque nature journal. That might be the extent of it for us. Plus, I guess, learning about different biomes and climates as part of our core curriculum.

* Edited to add: We are also pulling read-aloud recommendations from Sonlight. We may end up tapping into another list before the end of the year, too, but I have been very pleased so far with their recommendations. They have really enriched our lives!

Math - Singapore Essential B / Singapore 1A

Phonics - Adventures in Phonics A / BOB Books

Penmanship - In the Beginning (CLP)

Science - Exploring Science by Elemental Science

History - SOTW 1 with Older Brother

Latin - Song School Latin

Bible - Studying Gods Word A

Oh my gosh, I'm editing for probably the fourth time. I won't buy until July, but I would like to get this resolved!

Reading: He reads really well and we finished PAL, so I'll either do something like the Victory Drill Book for reinforcement, or just focus on spelling.

Literature: Teaching with Favorite (Arnold Lobel, Kevin Henkes) Books, lit from Classical House of Learning Ancients.

Writing:

McGraw-Hill LA grade 1 for grammar .... or maybe Growing with Grammar 1

All About Spelling 1-2 or Logic of English

PAL/WTM style writing via CHOL ... and maybe Winning with Writing 1

Math: Math in Focus 1 or Singapore 1, with Miquon

Science: Thematic units on plants, animals/habitats, weather, space, matter, forces, dinosaurs/archaeology and the human body, using Daily Science 1, lots of books, BrainPop Jr., and Usborne Science Activities 1-3.

History: SOTW Ancients, following CHOL

Continue with Phonics Pathways with Bob books.

Right Start A

HWT K and Printing books (still considering this. may try cursvie?!)

Memory work - Scripture, catechism, poetry

tagging along with DD (3rd) for:

SOTW 3

RSO Earth and Space

Choir at church

Sports (baseball and basketball) in a neighborhood league.

Friday mornings with mommy (DD in a tutorial, hopefully!).

Here's what I have so far. It is subject to change on a whim, so by the time we actually start "K" in the fall, it probably will look different.

Reading: finish The Reading Lesson (we're about 1/3 through now and we'll continue doing a page each day during the spring/summer) then we'll move on to read alouds for reading

Once we finish TRL, we'll start other LA

Grammar: Scott Foresman 1

Spelling: Success with Spelling 1

Writing: WWE1

Math: Saxon 1 (we're already working in it) and then Saxon 2 next spring

Geography: EM: Beginning Geography

Religion: Faith and Life 1

Science: BFSU and other interests

Tag-alongs with big sis: English from the Roots Up, A History of the US, maybe French if he's interested

Extra curriculars:

Soccer (fall and spring) Basketball (winter), 4H and Boy Scouts (all year)

We focus on basics in kindergarten.

Math: Singapore Math 1

Phonics: finishing up Reading Reflex

Reading: variety of early readers (depending on her progress)

Writing: journal writing

Other: variety of kindergarten-type experiences (baking bread, making butter, growing plants, exploring with different art mediums, fieldtrips, etc)

Extra: Creative Movement dance class and gymnastics

Our plan starting august is:

Math- Saxon 1

Writing- zaner-boser k

Reading- ordinary parents guide to teaching reading & I see Sam readers.

Along with cooking with me once a week, some type of art project once a week.

My goal is simplicity for our k year.

I will have a K'er again! :)

She will be starting this April 1st, so we can keep with our 4 day a week schedule. We will take off a couple months in the summer too.

HOD LHFHG

AAR 1

Singapore Essentials K A/B

HWT K

Also she will join in with the other kids for Artist study, Composer Study, Spanish, Catechism, and Nature Study. :)

She does Swim Lessons and I may have her do Soccer if she is interested.

Phew! Glad to see some simpler plans. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong! My plan is

Math: Saxon 1

Math Mammoth 1

I don't plan on doing all of both, but I will try them both and see which he prefers. I'm thinking I will end up doing a bit of both.

Phonics: Logic of English Foundations

Science: IF I do anything it will be watching the Magic Schoolbus videos (focusing on one a week). Reading the associated MSB book and any library books we get.

Classical Conversations: we will focus on memorizing the math and timeline only. Maybe Latin as he's really enjoying the Latin this year.

Literature: we are doing Sonlight K this year. I'm on the fence if we will continue Sonlight. I'm thinking no. I will just go to the library and get books each week. But I'm going back and forth on this.

We will start K in the fall.

Handwriting - A Reason For Handwriting

Math - SM - Essentials

Phonics - Explode the Code

Reading - Reading Made Easy and me reading lots of picture books

Bible - Bible Study Guide For All Ages

Plenty of time to cut, color, glue and free play. She almost always sits in (usually colors) during older sisters history, chapter books, Latin, and science but she doesn't have too. I think she likes feeling like a big girl like her sister!!