Menu

What science currics have the *whole* thing?

naturally

Right now I have a 3rd and Ker and a toddler. Looking ahead for science as it does NOT get done here. So I'm looking into science currics that come with EVERYTHING you would need. I think I've heard Nancy Larson is complete. What other options are there? I need something that I don't have to gather much of anything. I don't mind having to print a few worksheets or if I need to get a few things like water, cotton balls, etc. But if I have to gather a bunch of stuff for more than one experiment a week, it won't get done. If I have to gather books to make it meatier, it won't get done.

My boys LOVE science. I don't. It's my worst subject, always has been.

At this point, I don't care about cost. Yes, finances are an issue but I just want to know what's out there.

Noeo let's you purchase all the books, but I got a manual on eBay thinking I could find the books at the library, or a substitute...ugh. Pain in the rear. I'm going to watch this thread too, I want an all in one place textbook, not a teachers manual that tells you what other books to use! We did the free life science from Mr. Q and that was fine, but not super exciting IMO.

:bigear:

I've recently realized that I'm in the same boat. Next year I'll have a 2nd and K'er and I've spent the better part of today looking at Nancy Larson science, LOL (which I'd previously decided was too expensive but not am thinking may be a serious contender! :D)

I really didn't want to spend that much money, but I have to say, after getting Nancy Larson 1 for my K and 2nd grader, science actually gets done. Every day. The kids like it. It feels simple to me, but they are learning SO much- and I don't have to worry about prep.

I really didn't want to spend that much money, but I have to say, after getting Nancy Larson 1 for my K and 2nd grader, science actually gets done. Every day. The kids like it. It feels simple to me, but they are learning SO much- and I don't have to worry about prep.

Are these scheduled to be done daily? I tried to find info on scheduling NL science on their site, but didn't see anything...

This is our second year with Nancy Larson. DD has learned so much from this program - although I dislike how "scripted" it is, it *works* and even I have learned quite a bit. Just as an example, my 3rd grader can go out on any given night and identify the phase of the moon correctly, and can also discuss planets, orbits, rotation, comets, meteorites, asteroids, and many aspects of the sun and moon. This has also led to discussion about recent events in the news. I am thoroughly impressed with this deceptively simple curriculum.

Sounds like you need something that has a kit available. Home Science Tools has kits for several publishers (though they may all be young earth, if that's an issue for you):

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/science-kits-for-curriculum/c/8/

NOEO has the kit. I think Elemental Science is starting to develop some kits?

Another option is to get some science kits and just do them alongside some reading on your own. I like Science Wiz kits, as my oldest can often do them on his own. Then I get library books for him to read.

We're also enjoying Ellen McHenry right now, which doesn't have a kit, but so far we haven't had messy projects (we're about a third of the way through "The Brain"). It's mostly reading and watching videos and such. The other units (chemistry related) probably have more projects though.

Are these scheduled to be done daily? I tried to find info on scheduling NL science on their site, but didn't see anything...

We do it 4 days a week, I want to say there are 80 lessons, and each lesson has a review worksheet. So we do a lesson, then a worksheet, 2 of each a week. Science takes us about 15-20 minutes a day.

I really enjoyed Nancy Larson Science 2 even though it was very scripted, which seemed unnatural. It was the first science that actually got done because all the materials came with it. Pricey, but worth every penny IMO. That said, we are currently working our way through RSO Chemistry. Home Science Tools has a kit (we didn't buy it, but it was nice to know I could). I am the worst about planning ahead to pick up materials. I've never used the other RSO books, but I am loving this one! (We are a family of chemists, so I've borrowed lab thermometers from my husbands work, etc. but the kit looks fantastic.)

Also, to whomever first mentioned the Ellen McHenry site... Thanks a whole lot. :p now I'm totally getting a pillow case and making the periodic table pillowcase with my daughter! Lol. Looks like there is a lot of other good stuff there too.

As for me, right now we are planning on finishing out RSO chemistry and then deciding between another RSO or another Nancy Larson. (Leaning RSO right now, but only because its so focused which I really enjoy. Nancy Larson is great if you want to cover a variety of subjects in one year.) Good luck!

T

Don't know if you are still searching, but I'll chime in too. Sonlight has kits to accompany their Discover and Do videos. We no longer use Sonlight, but have used all the videos/kits. Last year we used Nancy Larson 2 and enjoyed it. This year we switched (just because I am a hopeless curriculum junkie and dazzled by all things new and shiny). Last week, out of the blue, my son begged to do Nancy Larson again. Though it is pretty pricey, it is very user-friendly, and my ds both enjoyed the lessons and has retained what he learned.

What's NOEO? I couldn't find it on the abbreviation list?

I don't think it's abbreviated. Search for it as NOEO science and it will pop up.

Here's the link-http://www.noeoscience.com/

I'm looking at it also. I wonder if the Level 3 is good? I also have an older child.

I haven't heard Lentil Science mentioned in a while. Not sure whether it would fit your needs...

http://www.topscienc.../lentils71.html - Primary

http://www.topscienc.../lentils72.html - Intermediate

TOPS offers other programs that fit more with the four-year cycle too, but they aren't as self-contained. Might be worth a look, though. They do say you don't need any exotic supplies. And, they offer kits.

Scroll down this page for the kits. - http://www.topscienc...s_and_kits.html

PS - Oops...a lot of the programs are for upper grades, so the lentil sciences might be your best bet.