Menu

What do your kids eat for snacks?

Just Kate

My older kids have a scheduled snack time and the snack stays the same every day of the week. Makes shopping easier. We keep other stuff around, but here is the general snack menu:

Sun: tortilla chips and salsa

Mon: popcorn and/or homemade jerky

Tues: apples and cheddar cheese cubes

Wed: cookies

Thurs: homemade trail mix (coconut flakes, banana chips, raisins, cranberries, whatever else tossed together)

Fri: ice cream cones or smoothies

Sat: carrot sticks with hummus or Ranch

I do want to add that they can eat whenever they want if they are hungry, but we do have scheduled meal times so having a scheduled snack time makes sense for our family.

We eat lower sugar/minimal grains; the kids get some, but nothing close to the SAD.

Some things they snack on:

Deviled eggs

nut butter of a spoon (obviously this can be a choking hazard, so be cautious with little ones in particular)

nut butter with apple

apple with cheese

nuts

yogurt (unsweetened) with a touch of fruit or a small sprinkle of stevia

cottage cheese (DD and I like ours with tomato, salt, and pepper)

smoothies

almond or coconut flour baked goods: muffins, quick breads, scones, etc. I make in larger quantities and freeze

deli meat with cream cheese in the middle or just rolled up, or wrapped in a lettuce leaf

olives, although they only like the $$ ones from the supermarket mediterranean bar of course!

leftovers

hard boiled eggs dipped in mayo with a touch of hot sauce, or mustard/mayo mix

if we are out and about, Lara bars sometimes. I aim for $1 or under, otherwise this gets really cost prohibitive. I sometimes make my own in the food processor.

toothpick lunch-deli meat cut and or folded up so it sits on a toothpick, grape tomato, mozzerella balls (bought in bulk from Costco). This works for us as a snack as well

nitrate and nitrite free pepperoni and cheese, sometimes eaten with a toothpick as well since apparently that makes it more fun (???).

Fruit, pretzels, baby carrots, string cheese, graham crackers, Nutrigrain bars, granola bars, yogurt, muffins, and cheese and crackers are our standbys. Sometimes I'll bake a treat for a snack. For example, today I made homemade chocolate chip granola bars.

I don't know if you ever got the recipe for Peanut Butter Balls, so here's mine just in case:

Recipe #1

1 cup oats

1/2 cup Honey

1/2 cup Peanut Butter

1 Cup powdered milk

1/4 cup ground flax (optional)

chocolate chips (optional)

Mix Together and roll into balls. I put them in the freezer for a bit to harden and then just store in a container in the fridge.