Menu

Can someone recommend a math program/workbook to do in summer to stay sharp?

swimnactmom

My ds is in 5th grade going to 6th in the fall. I want to keep his math skills sharp over the summer. I thought I would have him do 15-30 minutes of math 3 or 4 days a week in the summer. We will be starting Singapore-Primary 6A in the fall. Does anybody have any ideas about what we could do over the summer before starting our curriculum again?

Developmental Math is a nice series for this - it has a very similar teaching methodology to Singapore & I think would compliment it well as a summer supplement. You'd just pick up the DM workbook level that you want to practice thru the summer (so if you focused mostly on multiplication of large numbers this year, you'd want to find the DM book that focuses on this). DM would work mostly to keep those "facts" sharp & practice the mental application of the numbers.

We keep going year round. This is mostly for my younger two so they don't forget. I can't abide doing nothing but review all summer (my problem more than theirs, I admit.) My eldest does it year round because she hates math--this way she doesn't have to do as much during the year but stays on her current track.