Menu

Downton Abbey Spoiler Thread (please do not click on this if spoilers upset you)

Rebecca VA

I read previously an interview with Julian Fellowes that the actor did not want to renew the contract. Contracts are max 3 years n the UK. JF wanted to kill Matthew off in the first episode of series 4, but Dan Stevens didn't want to do that. JF didn't want the whole series finale to be maudlin so he killed Matthew in the last minutes.

I am so glad we had a delay to view it! I cannot imagine having watched that on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day! But thanks to others I knew it was coming. I was prepared with tissues at my side.

OH! The reason Matthew had to die was that he is a main character. He couldn't just go abroad or something because with the new son, he'd be expected to visit or Mary would need to visit him. I was reading JF saying that if a servant wants out, they just leave to get another job. But main characters have to be dealt with more seriously.