Menu

why is my cat acting like this?

HappyLady

I took in a mama cat and her 2 babies about 5 months ago. I brought the mama cat in about 3 weeks ago to get spayed, she came home, everything was fine. Then I took her two boys in 2 days ago to get neutered and ever since they came home the mama has been hissing at them. I thought maybe it was because she smelled other animals on them or maybe even the vet's office (and it brought back bad memories), but I would have thought after a day she'd be fine with them.

Before the boys' surgeries she was always cuddling with them, cleaning them, etc. Now she acts like they're new cats or something.

Any thoughts on this? I feel bad because the boys keep trying to get close to her and then look almost sad when she hisses at them. :(

I am not a vet.

Is the normal time for the boys to wean?

Many mommy animals get grouchy at weaning time as a way to say, "You've had enough! Leave me alone! I mean it!"

I've seen (on film) mother bears chase their 2yos up trees repeatedly when it is time for them to be independent (and not travel with her anymore). I have seen mother dogs, horses, and giraffes nip at and walk away from their babies at weaning time.

Can you telephone the vet and see what they say?

Our cats used to do this after a separation. It was like they had to start from scratch (har har). No, but really, even if they recognized each other it was like they couldn't help it, their noses said "strange new cat" and the hissing would start. However, it eventually went back to normal.

I am not a vet.

Is the normal time for the boys to wean?

Many mommy animals get grouchy at weaning time as a way to say, "You've had enough! Leave me alone! I mean it!"

I've seen (on film) mother bears chase their 2yos up trees repeatedly when it is time for them to be independent (and not travel with her anymore). I have seen mother dogs, horses, and giraffes nip at and walk away from their babies at weaning time.

Can you telephone the vet and see what they say?

They technically weaned awhile ago, though they always still try to nurse. The mama cat would always tell them "no" by putting her mouth on them and sometimes gently kicking them with her back legs. They got the hint and then just cuddled with her.

If they aren't back to normal in a day or so I'll be calling the vet.

Our cats used to do this after a separation. It was like they had to start from scratch (har har). No, but really, even if they recognized each other it was like they couldn't help it, their noses said "strange new cat" and the hissing would start. However, it eventually went back to normal.

I sure hope that's all it is! I just feel bad for the babies because they look at her like, "But, Mommy....." LOL