Menu

WWE and Rod & Staff

Mari

Hi. I'm completely confused now about what I'll be using to teach ds8 beginning this fall. :confused: I was absolutely convinced I would use Rod & Staff 3 for English to cover writing and English. After reading all the posts about Writing With Ease and FLL 3, I feel as if I'm back at square one again, trying to figure out which one to use.

Can any of you compare these two programs? Is the writing more intensive in WWE? Which of these two programs would better fit my ds who has had very little writing and formal grammar instruction. Which is easier to use in a homeschool environment? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mari

Mari,

I used R&S 3 with my dds successfully. I tried it last year with my ds and switched to FLL 3 near the end of the "school year". He didn't retain anything from R&S.

I am very excited about using FLL 3 with WWE this school year. I was not getting the dictation and narration in like I should/wanted to last year. This way, I know it will get done. Grammar and composition will be done adequately, and I'll stop beating myself up about not getting everything in.

I love R&S, but I am looking forward to the other combo this year.

HTH,

Melissa

You could use either and be fine. The difference, really, is in the style or philosophy. FLL/WWE follows the neo-classical tradition that uses memorization, copywork, narration and dictation for teaching grammar and writing skills. Rod & Staff is a textbook that doesn't use narration or dictation as a tool. It uses traditional lessons followed up with written and oral practice exercises and reviews.

I would look at samples online and think about how prefer to teach, and how you feel your student will respond to each program.