Menu

Typing versus hand-written

Are you all sick of me yet?

:)

At what point do you begin to transition from hand-written work to typing for daily narrations, outlines, etc.....? And how do you make the transition?

I see value in continuing hand-written work at least some of the time, especially to strengthen spelling. But dd types much faster than she writes by hand so when the work load ramps up over the next 4 years, I can see a need to begin more on the computer.

Thoughts?

How about an answer that says both?

Keyboarding is such an essential part of adult life now, it just doesn't seem beneficial to hold them back from developing and using the skill. Dd writes when it is convenient, types when that makes sense.

I will say, some people learn by writing more effectively than by typing and at least for now many tests still require them to write quickly. Thus, it make sense to include it as part of the day as well.

I started having my nine year old DD type regularly this year. She now does first drafts of all compositions electronically. I have seen an explosion in the quantity and quality of her writing since having her type. The first time she was resistant, but now she is glad she types. I also turn off spell check.

She does worksheets that require singe sentence answers, so she still gets handwriting practice. When she is older I will reintroduce handwriting compositions so that she will be able to take essay tests.

I started having my nine year old DD type regularly this year. She now does first drafts of all compositions electronically. I have seen an explosion in the quantity and quality of her writing since having her type. The first time she was resistant, but now she is glad she types. I also turn off spell check.

She does worksheets that require singe sentence answers, so she still gets handwriting practice. When she is older I will reintroduce handwriting compositions so that she will be able to take essay tests.

Turning off spellcheck. Brilliant. Thanks!

And I did not think of the hand-written essay test issue. That will be good to keep in mind. Although I do wonder what those exams will look like in 10 years. They might type by then! I teach at a university and I have all of my exams done electronically. So much easier on my eyes!