Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

UPDATE: I want to meet a gay person.

Guest inoubliable

Pictures. We need pictures.

We can't just go awarding points willy-nilly, you know. :p

You'll never believe it. My best and biggest tattoo is in Latin. Seriously.

Guest inoubliable

I think homeschooling moms with more fluid sexualities need a fun new stereotype. We're a hard bunch to pin down.

Oh aye.

How do tattoos rate for points? :leaving:

It depends what the tattoo is. If it's your kids names then you get points. If it's something heathen then that might be negative points.

Guest inoubliable

It depends what the tattoo is. If it's your kids names then you get points. If it's something heathen then that might be negative points.

No FSM tattoo, then. Noted. I guess I'd better get cracking on a new design for the next one then! Kids' names....hmm....

I have tattoos. I am trashy, per WTM.

But sorry girls, no fluid sexuality here despite the fact that I very much thought I was going to grow up to be a man for some reason as a very young child. As it turned out, it was my sibling who later jumped genders.

ETA: yes, I know he was always male but he did have to make a lot of changes to look it. I know he didn't "switch" genders.

Last time I checked, every person currently on the planet is a sinner/is sinning in some way. Even me. I'm pretty comfortable around myself, even though I am sinning at certain points.

The minivan we need to get when this baby is born gets me points?? I want points!!

There is a difference between living in sin and sinning. The Bible is pretty clear about willful disobedience to God's word. Not in the first post but further down the op stated that she thought homosexuality was sin.

There is a difference between living in sin and sinning. The Bible is pretty clear about willful disobedience to God's word. Not in the op but further down the op stated that she thought homosexuality was sin.

Oh, please, let's not go there. I don't want this thread to go that direction. Besides, I'm having too much fun reading what these silly girls are saying about their ninja points. ;)

There is a difference between living in sin and sinning. The Bible is pretty clear about willful disobedience to God's word. Not in the op but further down the op stated that she thought homosexuality was sin.

The bible is pretty clear about cotton/spandex blends too, but no one comes online and tells people they're living in sin because they just can't give up stretchy shirts.

Oh, please, let's not go there. I don't want this thread to go that direction. Besides, I'm having too much fun reading what these silly girls are saying about their ninja points. ;)

And on that note, I think you should show this thread to your ds. It will be a very expedient way for him to see that the LGBT community is, in fact, awesome.

The bible is pretty clear about cotton/spandex blends too, but no one comes online and tells people they're living in sin because they just can't give up stretchy shirts.

You don't belong to any gay forums? :001_huh:

Not trying to be preachy, but I know I likely sound it.

1. While some people "seem gay" they may or may not actually be gay. I say this married to a, for lack of a better word, very "metrosexual" man. He's straight. But yeah, he bakes. And did show choir. And is meticulously groomed. My brother's very gay husband? Total stereotypical man's man. He can fix your car and build you a house and he sits around watching sports and drinking beer with his down time.

2. Some people said that there are some safe and accepting places. There are more accepting and safer places, but there is intolerance and violence and bigotry even in the "safest" of places. We live in SEATTLE. My brother has faced more cr@p than I care to think about. The religious bias, the it's-ok-to-treat-the-gay-person-as-a-punching-bag stuff, the being used as a gay token or lesson bs, the it's-ok-to-ask-intrusive-questions-about-how-gays-and-trans-people-have-sex thing. And on and on. Most recently, his across the street neighbor wigged out when they moved in and she tries to report them for suspicious activity all the time. My brother is a SAHD of 2 girls. His husband is traditional working for pay provider. They drive a minivan and live in a 4 bedroom home with a big yard in a near in blue collar suburb. She is convinced they are nefarious creatures.

They subtract points unless they're of a conservative nature. A US or Confederate flag will get you some points.

2. Some people said that there are some safe and accepting places. There are more accepting and safer places, but there is intolerance and violence and bigotry even in the "safest" of places. We live in SEATTLE. My brother has faced more cr@p than I care to think about. The religious bias, the it's-ok-to-treat-the-gay-person-as-a-punching-bag stuff, the being used as a gay token or lesson bs, the it's-ok-to-ask-intrusive-questions-about-how-gays-and-trans-people-have-sex thing. And on and on. Most recently, his across the street neighbor wigged out when they moved in and she tries to report them for suspicious activity all the time. My brother is a SAHD of 2 girls. His husband is traditional working for pay provider. They drive a minivan and live in a 4 bedroom home with a big yard in a near in blue collar suburb. She is convinced they are nefarious creatures.

Yes, we lived in an extremely liberal town, attended a UU church, and all that. Had lots of friends in same-sex or otherwise different relationships. But all it took was walking down the street during the election year (California during Prop 8) to see that at least some people felt LGBT people shouldn't have the same rights.

There is a difference between living in sin and sinning. The Bible is pretty clear about willful disobedience to God's word. Not in the first post but further down the op stated that she thought homosexuality was sin.

The Bible is also pretty clear on divorce and women wearing fancy alluring hair-dos. I see conservative Christians do both with regularity. Selective literalism really chaps my hide.

Not to be snarky, but if you want to meet gay men, go to your local public library and talk to the reference librarian. Odds are he's gay.

My reference Librarian DH sort of blinked at this one... :confused:

but he offered to direct you to the 647.95086642 section of the library!

Dewey can find anything

Guest inoubliable

They subtract points unless they're of a conservative nature. A US or Confederate flag will get you some points.

*shudder*

I had Obama signs in my yard. There's only so many ninja points I can rack up.

I think I was confused. I'm not a ninja because I'm a girl that likes dudes. I still have an apron though.

*shudder*

I had Obama signs in my yard. There's only so many ninja points I can rack up.

I have in Obama shirt that even shows some serious cleavage (as serious as my barely C-cups can be anyways.) Again, I am trashy.

My reference Librarian DH sort of blinked at this one... :confused:

but he offered to direct you to the 647.95086642 section of the library!

Dewey can find anything

:laugh:

Touché.

The Bible is also pretty clear on divorce and women wearing fancy alluring hair-dos. I see conservative Christians do both with regularity. Selective literalism really chaps my hide.

I agree with you Divorce is sin women wearing fancy alluring hair dos is sin. Just because there are professing christians that have their pet sins and others that they ignore does not mean it is right. We must all look to what

God says and do it and stop looking at what people are doing. We can't let what others do that they should not do allow us to justify us not doing what is right.

Deuteronomy 22:11says, “Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.†I have no expertise in materials that work well together in clothing, but if God said this, then there is a good reason for it. I do know that some types of fabric shrink more than others, and if you made a garment using two types of thread, it may look terrible after being washed (most wives could tell you of clothes that they bought for the family, that came out of the wash looking terrible and required much time just trying to make them look presentable to wear). Is this verse not a worthy principle to observe, because it is in the Old Testament?

I agree with you Divorce is sin women wearing fancy alluring hair dos is sin. Just because there are christians that have their pet sins and others that they ignore does not mean it is right. We must all look to what

God says and do it and stop looking at what people are doing. We can't let what others do that they should not do allow us to justify us not doing what is right.

I reckon you have no sins and thus get to cast stones?

When kids kill themselves because they are bullied by other kids who learn their bigotry at church and in Christian homes, I cease to be able to care what certain Christians define as sin. The Baptist minister who married my brother and his husband? Gay and married to a man as well. You are not the only person on earth who gets to interpret scripture, nor does every person find the scriptures to be their moral compass.

Deuteronomy 22:11 says, “Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.†I have no expertise in materials that work well together in clothing, but if God said this, then there is a good reason for it. I do know that some types of fabric shrink more than others, and if you made a garment using two types of thread, it may look terrible after being washed (most wives could tell you of clothes that they bought for the family, that came out of the wash looking terrible and required much time just trying to make them look presentable to wear). Is this verse not a worthy principle to observe, because it is in the Old Testament?

Maybe this was one of those things left out of my Catholic bible?!?! I guess I'll confess wearing my stretchy running pants next time at Confession just to be on the safe side.

Deuteronomy 22:11 says, “Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.†I have no expertise in materials that work well together in clothing, but if God said this, then there is a good reason for it. I do know that some types of fabric shrink more than others, and if you made a garment using two types of thread, it may look terrible after being washed (most wives could tell you of clothes that they bought for the family, that came out of the wash looking terrible and required much time just trying to make them look presentable to wear). Is this verse not a worthy principle to observe, because it is in the Old Testament?

Um... yeah. I'm guessing you haven't studied the Old Testament too much, but... Moses didn't have a washer and dryer.

I'd love to debate this further (really, I would) but I have got to go wash the dishes.

Trust me, you do know gay people. After all, that's about 10% of the population. The ones you know just have not shared this fact openly with you - because in most daily situations it does not matter. They are normal people. They do the things other people do, behave the way other people behave - your sons most likely could not tell that those people are gay because there would be no difference.

I am always astonished when people are reduced to one small aspect of their personality, especially since it is an aspect that is nobody else's business.

That 10% figure is really not true, according to experts, and people constantly repeat it. That was an offhand comment made by Kinsey decades ago, not a legitimate figure. It's way too high.

From this interview with an expert demographer on sexual orientation:

His name is Gary J. Gates. He's at the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law. That's a think tank that specializes in law and public policy related to sexual orientation. He's co-author of the book "The Gay and Lesbian Atlas" and he's with us from NPR West in Southern California.

MARTIN: All right. Well, then we've kept everybody in suspense long enough. What is a better number?

GATES: Well, so what I did was I found a variety of what we call population-based surveys. So surveys designed to try to estimate a characteristic that you can generalize to the population. And all of these surveys asked sexual orientation identity questions. So questions like, do you consider yourself to be - and then, you know, you can choose gay, lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual. And across those surveys, if you average it out, it comes to just shy of four percent. So about 3.8 percent who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. (emphasis mine)

Deuteronomy 22:11says, “Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.†I have no expertise in materials that work well together in clothing, but if God said this, then there is a good reason for it. I do know that some types of fabric shrink more than others, and if you made a garment using two types of thread, it may look terrible after being washed (most wives could tell you of clothes that they bought for the family, that came out of the wash looking terrible and required much time just trying to make them look presentable to wear). Is this verse not a worthy principle to observe, because it is in the Old Testament?

The reason God said not to wear a mix of wool and linen is because one is winter wear and the other summer. We can't go around making hideous fashion faux pas.

Um... yeah. I'm guessing you haven't studied the Old Testament too much, but... Moses didn't have a washer and dryer.

I'd love to debate this further (really, I would) but I have got to go wash the dishes.

Where did she say washer and dryer?

That 10% figure is really not true, according to experts, and people constantly repeat it. That was an offhand comment made by Kinsey decades ago, not a legitimate figure. It's way too high.

It is no better to be bigoted and hateful towards 3-4 of a 100 than it is to be towards 10 of 100. Labels don't capture people with fluid sexualities or who are gender queer either.

In my area, I reckon it is higher than 10%.

I agree with you Divorce is sin women wearing fancy alluring hair dos is sin. Just because there are professing christians that have their pet sins and others that they ignore does not mean it is right. We must all look to what

Could you post pictures of fancy alluring hair dos that are sins? I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between what is considered a sinful hair style and just a cryin' shame.

It is no better to be bigoted and hateful towards 3-4 of a 100 than it is to be towards 10 of 100. Labels don't capture people with fluid sexualities or who are gender queer either.

In my area, I reckon it is higher than 10%.

I'm not suggesting anyone be hateful.

I'm simply correcting a common myth for informational purposes. I like to know if I have been saying something because I heard it, when it isn't actually factually accurate, so I can correct it. YMMV

About the mixing fabrics/materials, have you all read The Year of Living Biblically? Quite funny. (And, he does run into the issue of mixing fabrics & the numerous contradictory instructions the Bible provides.)

I'm simply correcting a common myth for informational purposes. I like to know if I have been saying something because I heard it, when it isn't actually factually accurate, so I can correct it. YMMV

Gary J. Gates also writes that 11% acknowledge some same sex attraction and 8.2% have engaged in same sex sexual behavior. Given the religious bias issue, many gay people do not identify as such. I imagine all those married conservative preachers and politicians found with hustlers don't claim to be gay. But quacks like a duck and all that.

Drawing on information from four recent national and two state-level population-based surveys, the analyses suggest that there are more than 8 million adults in the US who are lesbian, gay, or bisexual, comprising 3.5% of the adult population. There are also nearly 700,000 transgender individuals in the US. In total, the study suggests that approximately 9 million Americans – roughly the population of New Jersey – identify as LGBT. Key findings from the study include among adults who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual, bisexuals comprise a slight majority (1.8% compared to 1.7% who identify as lesbian or gay); women are substantially more likely than men to identify as bisexual; estimates of those who report any lifetime same-sex sexual behavior and any same-sex sexual attraction are substantially higher than estimates of those who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual. An estimated 19 million Americans (8.2%) report that they have engaged in same-sex sexual behavior and nearly 25.6 million Americans (11%) acknowledge at least some same-sex sexual attraction.

What I've heard is that it's closer to 10% for men, much less for females. Of course the 10% is going to be a rough figure. Point is, if you know more than a handful of people, you know someone who is gay.

I've thought of all the types of people I've never met, and have found there is quite the number of them. At least IRL. I think I've covered every category of person here on the hive. I've spent most of my adult life in small town USA. I can see how it could happen.

The mixing of fabrics is one of the 613 commands found in the Torah/ old covenant. It isn't a command for new covenant Christians.

Women's hair and divorce are both mentioned in the New Testament. Much of the verse used against gay people is from the Old Testament. It is not only the Old Testament with passages that are conflicting or widely ignored by those practicing selective literalism.

Personally I do not consider Paul to be God. Jesus' words in the Bible do not condemn homosexuals.

Somewhere along the line your son has learned fear and intolerance. While that is not your fault from the sound of it, it is now your responsibility to do the hard work of helping him unlearn hate. Make no mistake, it is hate. Lots of good people, perhaps ALL people have bigotry somewhere about something. He will not learn the error of his ways by meeting people specifically because they are gay. I would make this a pretty large project and I would help him take apart his words and see what they mean and why it's not ok. In addition to studying famous gay people as you mentioned, I would have him explore the very real, large issue of suicide and violence which impacts gay kids his same age. It will make an impression on anyone not too far gone. I refuse to think that any young person is too far gone. If my elderly grandparents can come to accept their gay and transgendered grandkids, a 15 year old can unlearn whatever it was that taught him this.

Learned "fear and intolerance"? Maybe. Or maybe he just learned some words and used them because he heard them. It used to be quite common in high school for kids to say something was "gay" if it was weird or different. Every kid who said that wasn't in "fear and intolerance". He was just parroting words he had heard.

I'd correct it, but be very careful before passing judgment that may or may not be accurate in the case. You just have to figure it out in the individual case.

Learned "fear and intolerance"? Maybe. Or maybe he just learned some words and used them because he heard them. It used to be quite common in high school for kids to say something was "gay" if it was weird or different. Every kid who said that wasn't in "fear and intolerance". He was just parroting words he had heard.

I'd correct it, but be very careful before passing judgment that may or may not be accurate in the case. You just have to figure it out in the individual case.

Saying that something is "gay" as a pejorative for anything or anyone weird or different? That is intolerance right there.

Saying "I hate gays" and "They can't ACT gay" is intolerant and per the OP something she does not want for her son.

If my 9 year old hears those words, you can bet he doesn't parrot them. He actively knows that he does not agree with the speaker. That doesn't make him or me or my husband better than anyone else, it just means that he has learned what is not ok to say about gay people and that gay people are just ordinary people like his uncles and my cousins. Not talking like this seems to be the lesson that the OP wants for her son. His mother didn't think it was ok and seems to have taken it as more than just parroting and I reckon she knows her son better than either one of us.

It was a reminder to the Jewish people to remain separate from those around them. IF you believe that you should not associate with sinners (which, is not the model given to us by Christ), then it would serve as a reminder to you too, IMO. Because of Paul's teachings, most Christians believe we live under a New Covenant and no longer need to follow all of the rules of the Old Covenant. That is why most Christians eat shrimp, don't worry about turning on lights on Sunday and don't worry about mixed-fiber garments.

Where did she say washer and dryer?

She said God doesn't want us to mix fibers because something might shrink. It's pretty hard to shrink a garment washing it in the river. Not that I've tried. But I have washed things in the sink.

Could you post pictures of fancy alluring hair dos that are sins? I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between what is considered a sinful hair style and just a cryin' shame.

:D :D :D :D

I think it should go without saying that nobody is getting any ninja points for the hairstyles of the "crying shame" variety. Pity points, perhaps, but no ninja points.

Ninjas have their standards.

And I don't know about where the rest of you live, but tattoos of the Confederate flag aren't getting any ninja points here in the NYC area. ;)

I just have poofy, curly hair. Good luck getting it into a braid of any kind, never mind an intricate one. Plus, we no longer have handmaidens to take care of our hair for us!

Women's hair and divorce are both mentioned in the New Testament. Much of the verse used against gay people is from the Old Testament. It is not only the Old Testament with passages that are conflicting or widely ignored by those practicing selective literalism.

My statement was to clear up the context of the passage regarding mixing of fabrics. I'm not sure what you mean about "selective literalism" though. I think most Christians take parts of the Bible literally and parts figuratively. Some parts are obviously literal and some parts are obviously figurative. Also, the Bible is an Eastern book. Today, it is generally read with a modern Western mindset. It is an ancient Eastern book and should be read in that context.

She said God doesn't want us to mix fibers because something might shrink. It's pretty hard to shrink a garment washing it in the river. Not that I've tried. But I have washed things in the sink.

She said God said not to, and then stated a possible explanation based on her knowledge of fabric. If you can point out where she said that possible explanation (shrinking) was *the* reason, I'd love to see it.

I think all this Bible discussion is veering us away from the real topic of this thread, which I believe had something to do with ninjas.

She said God said not to, and then stated a possible explanation based on her knowledge of fabric. If you can point out where she said that possible explanation (shrinking) was *the* reason, I'd love to see it.

It was clearly her suggestion. If you (general you) are not even aware that a distinct reason for the verse exists (and it does), then maybe you should expand your knowledge before making an extremely random guess. If you are going to stand by a Biblical principle, then you should probably know why you are doing it. I think *that* is what Mergath was getting at, and I agree.

My statement was to clear up the context of the passage regarding mixing of fabrics. I'm not sure what you mean about "selective literalism" though. I think most Christians take parts of the Bible literally and parts figuratively. Some parts are obviously literal and some parts are obviously figurative. Also, the Bible is an Eastern book. Today, it is generally read with a modern Western mindset. It is an ancient Eastern book and should be read in that context.

We don't disagree about most Christian people not taking the bible as being entirely literal or about it being an ancient eastern text. By selective literalism, I mean people who rail against homosexuality or other things because "it's in the bible that it's a sin" while being peachy keen with doing more than a few things which are also mentioned as sins in parts of the bible (both old and new testaments.) These are often folks who specifically say the bible is both literal and inerrant.