Menu

Help me think this through, pretty please... in regards to science

Next year, my son will be in 9th grade. He is doing Apologia's Physical Science at our co-op. It is fairly well done with good lab supplies. He is getting an average grade of 98% on tests and labs.

In reading the DIVE website, I am seeing that they recommend doing an Integrated Physics & Chemistry course, which Apologia's Physical Science is apparently NOT.

Next year the co-op does the Apologia Biology book, then Chemistry, then Physics. He'd really like to take an advanced physics course before he graduates.

So here's my issue... He knows he wants to be a mechanical engineer. How critical is it that he does an IPC course? Will he really be left in the dust if he doesn't? I really NEED this co-op for him to do science as I just don't have time in my day to tutor him on my own. Do you think this will severely hurt his chances of doing well in college engineering?

Thanks everyone!!! I feel so much better about this!

I think he will do Bio in 9th, Chem in 10th, Physics in 11th and Adv Physics in 12th- unless we go the duel enrollment route and change it all up! Can't see that far into his future quite yet.

He's in Alg 1 (Saxon) in 8th grade. So I guess he'll do Alg 2 in 9th, Adv Math in 10th and 11th (I think it takes 2 years to do that Saxon book) and then Calc in 12th??? Does this line up ok?