Menu

What do you do while listening to audio books?

Julie in Austin

Knit

Drive

Get dinner prepped

Fold laundry

Grocery shopping (unless I'm at walmart--their store is too loud without me adding extra to my brain by trying to listen to a book)

Laundry and dinner are the extent of the chores I can manage while listening on my mp3. Other chores are too loud or the cord gets in the way.

drive

Me too. I prefer to listen to them in the car. We listened to a lot of them when we had the flu a few years ago. I just put a bunch of them in a playlist on repeat and slept/woke/slept for days. It was nice other than the whole having the flu and feeling like I'd been run over and left for dead..

I guess you have to figure out what you do that is relatively quiet that doesn't take much brain power so you can spare some for the audio book. If I have time to sit quietly, I'd rather read than listen to someone read.

I only listen to them while I'm doing necessary mindless household tasks. So, to eliminate cleaning would eliminate pretty much all of the time I listen. Top jobs that I do while listening would be getting the dishes done, folding laundry, and cooking. It's the only thing that moves those jobs from the "drudgery" category to the full motivation of "when can I get back to that book?/fun" category.

Drive. I only listen to them in the car on long trips. If we don't finish the book in the car, then we will play it in the house and I play solitaire while listening. I should do something productive like fold clothes are cook, but I can't hear the book that way. I might start downloading books onto my phone to listen to while walking the dog, but he tends to take too much of my attention, being the impulsive big galoot that he his.

I listen while

• driving (I live in the big city and most of my music gigs and rehearsals are a 20 - 30 drive away.)
  • knitting or crocheting (unless the pattern is too involved, then there is lots of unraveling and doing over!)
  • doing jigsaw puzzels
  • folding laundry (sometimes)
  • going to sleep (I use my iPhone, put an ear bud in one ear, start a book I already know and love, and set the timer to turn the book off in 30 minutes. If it is a new book, I'll never go to sleep!)

Go for a walk (if the device you're listening on is portable)?

Yep. I listen while I walk with my dog every morning (either podcasts or audiobooks). I also listen in the car, either while I'm driving alone or while I'm waiting around for one kid or the other to come out of a rehearsal or class.

I also listen while baking/cooking and sometimes while folding laundry, but I suppose both of those might come under the general umbrella of "cleaning."

I prefer to listen in the car, but if I listen at home I can only do mindless tasks. I feel silly just sitting listening to a book, which doesn't make sense since I don't feel silly just sitting reading a book. Anyway, I do things like empty the dishwasher, fold laundry, dust. go for a walk, and sometimes garden. The minute I try to do something that takes actual concentration though, the audiobook loses me.

Walking, grading, or cleaning. I try when I drive but it doesn't work out well.

When I'm driving, I usually stick to light, funny, or "easy" audiobooks and save deeper fare for reading. If a book requires a lot of concentration or the storyline is so intricate I get lost if I'm not paying close attention at all times, it doesn't work for me in the car.

I love listening to audio books, but I need something to do while listening.

I tried cross stitch. (meh)

I tried knitting. (epic fail)

I tried coloring. (meh)

Any ideas for me? (Don't suggest I clean. Seriously.)

Maybe some mindless online games? Something else I haven't thought of?

LOL, I'm confused because your title doesn't match your post.

Your title asks, "What do you do while listening to audio books?" *I* mostly listening to them while exercising, driving or cleaning. I'm not necessarily suggesting that for you, but that's what I do.