Menu

History with resources I already own?

Help me put together a World History course for my soon to be 9th grade ds. He is an avid and very capable reader. I want to do an Ambleside Online/Charlotte Mason type schedule using books I already own. I have no idea which books complement each other and which ones would be redundant or how to even figure it out. I'd like to tackle the Renaissance to Reformation era. Any ideas? Anyone have lesson plans they'd like to share :thumbup:

Or maybe come to my house, look through my books and type up a lesson plan :smilielol5:

Have you read Well Trained Mind? I like the history and lit cheaters for using what we already have on the shelf.

What sort of books do you have your mind on?

I always forget about looking at TWTM. I'll pull that out.

I have Spielvogel's Western Civ, Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking People's, The Story of Mankind, A Student's Guide to US History and that's about it. I know I'll need to buy a few more books; probably a few biographies and maybe historical fiction.

I always forget about looking at TWTM. I'll pull that out.

I have Spielvogel's Western Civ, Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking People's, The Story of Mankind, A Student's Guide to US History and that's about it. I know I'll need to buy a few more books; probably a few biographies and maybe historical fiction.

What I'd probably do with that is tag the pages in Spielvogel that relate to the period you are studying. Then check the recommendations in WTM to see what you want to add in.

I haven't used the Churchill set so I'm not sure how I'd select from that. I do like Lacey's Tales from English History especially the audio version. That helped my time crunched swimmer keep up with history.

There may be some good Teaching Company sets for this period.