Menu

I need ideas for a baby gift!

BrookValley.

I'm so hopelessly non-creative or sentimental, but I'm feeling the need for both for a baby gift for a very close friend. I'm a very practical kind of person, so when I need to give a baby gift, I go for something off the registry or something I know is wanted and will be useful. However, I would like to go beyond that for this friend. I'm not overly sentimental, but she is. Also, this is her first and likely only child and there are some extra emotions floating around. Her mother died tragically from an ugly battle with cancer; they were very, very close, and my friend had wanted so much for her mother to meet her grandbaby. Unfortunately, her mother died a few years ago and it took my friend and her husband quite awhile to become pregnant. :(

I would just really like to give her something with a little more meaning than a baby bath set off her registry and few packs of diapers, you know what I mean? But I'm clueless. I am not terribly crafty or talented at making things. I have no idea what one does for sweet, sentimental baby gifts. I also happen to be pregnant (a fun twist; we've been pregnant at the same time, and our babies will be born about 6-8 weeks apart from each other), and this friend surprised me with a gorgeous little quilt that she made for our soon-to-be born little guy. She used fabric and pieces that meant something to us. It is SO awesome, and it is something that really, well, means something. I just love her for taking the time to do that for us (there's a quilt backstory that ties into her mom, too, so it's even more special on account of that). I'm not looking to top the quilt--I can't compete with that, and it's not a contest--but I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for something I could do that is more unique than pulling together a basket of ordinary baby items.

If it matters, we live several states away and only see each other in person once or twice a year (we try to do a vacation and/or holiday together here and there).

Heeeelllllpppp. :)

If you have older kids:

When we give baby gifts we give items that were favorites of our kids...usually board books. We give diapers or cash along with some of our favorite things, we include a note that these were our family's favorite books (or whatever).

This has been very well received.

I tend to do practical gifts and this is a nice mix of sentimental and practical for me!

What kind of things did her mother like, or what fond memories does she have of her mother?

My mom collects snow globes, so if she were dead (which she's not), and a friend wanted to give a sweet gift for my baby shower, she could get some sort of baby's first snow globe. Or, my grandma loves roses and gardening, so if a friend wanted to commemorate her she could give me a rose bush to be planted in my yard.

Do you have many photos of them (your friend, her dh, her mom, etc...)? If so, you could upload the photos to someplace like Shutterfly & create a picture book for her to show the baby. Not sure if you'd want to include words or not (if you know what they plan for their little one to call them -- mama, papa, grandma, etc...)? Something similar to a baby's first picture book -- one big, clear, uncluttered picture per page. It's fun to include things like dog, cat, etc... too, esp. if pets are valued members of the family. Since you vacation with them, perhaps you could include photos like beach, mountain, or something that would show a place you go together (esp. if you plan to still vacation together with your little ones).

Congrats to you & your friend. :grouphug:

What kind of things did her mother like, or what fond memories does she have of her mother?

My mom collects snow globes, so if she were dead (which she's not), and a friend wanted to give a sweet gift for my baby shower, she could get some sort of baby's first snow globe. Or, my grandma loves roses and gardening, so if a friend wanted to commemorate her she could give me a rose bush to be planted in my yard.

What about a family history journal along with some special envelopes, etc. to use inside? Her child will never get to know grandma, but mom can write down all of the lovely memories from her childhood, what she remembers about her mother, and be able to keep grandma in babe's life.

I like both of these suggestions. I saw a book a few years ago, that was an "all about grandma" book, your friend could fill in all the details about her mom. I can't remember where I saw it, but if I do, I'll reply back.