Menu

Teaching Textbook users...

My non-mathy kid still hates math. Teaching Textbooks has been great for us. He doesn't want to change math curriculum, he just hates math. We worked through TT4 and we are halfway through 5. My child is making careless mistakes, he whines and complains and math is just frustrating all together. I do believe so much is attitude and I make myself available to help when needed. My question is- at what point to you make your student redo a lesson? If I could get him to slow down and focus, I know he can do better. Today, he scored in the high 70's.

85% is my cut-off. With the "try again" option on many questions, there's no excuse for my son to make below 85%. First I figure out why he missed so many problems - careless errors usually, but if there is a learning issue, I reteach of course. Carelessness and/or attitude means I go in and delete the entire lesson and have him redo it.

I could have written this post word for word! I am having the same problems with my dd11 6th. We are using TT as well, and she makes careless mistakes over and over and over.......For one thing, she writes so fast and her work is so sloppy, she gets confused. It's such a battle just getting her to slow down. She recently started with a tutor, and just loves her time with her. Her tutor doesn't see what I see at home though. Last week I had her take her lesson to her session and do the work with her tutor. Her tutor stated she thought it might just be the format of TT. She thinks the anticiation of hearing him tell her the answer was right or wrong was making her tense. She stated even she (tutor) tarted getting all tensed up waiting to see what he was going to say. lol She requested she just use the workbook this week to see how things go. So far, today's lesson was typical. She still blames TT for her wrong answers. Her other suggestion if that didnt seem to help was to switch her to Abeka math. The tutor chose Abeka because she has used it for years with kids through 6 grade. She is planning to go through it and cut out all the work she doesn't need so she can focus on the stuff she does need to work on. So basically, we won't be starting back again at the beginning. I did go ahead and order it. It's worth a shot. I am inclined to say that it won't help, but I'll try anything at ths point.

I'll be listening in to see what suggestions you get!

I could have written this post word for word! I am having the same problems with my dd11 6th. We are using TT as well, and she makes careless mistakes over and over and over.......For one thing, she writes so fast and her work is so sloppy, she gets confused. It's such a battle just getting her to slow down. She recently started with a tutor, and just loves her time with her. Her tutor doesn't see what I see at home though. Last week I had her take her lesson to her session and do the work with her tutor. Her tutor stated she thought it might just be the format of TT. She thinks the anticiation of hearing him tell her the answer was right or wrong was making her tense. She stated even she (tutor) tarted getting all tensed up waiting to see what he was going to say. lol She requested she just use the workbook this week to see how things go. So far, today's lesson was typical. She still blames TT for her wrong answers. Her other suggestion if that didnt seem to help was to switch her to Abeka math. The tutor chose Abeka because she has used it for years with kids through 6 grade. She is planning to go through it and cut out all the work she doesn't need so she can focus on the stuff she does need to work on. So basically, we won't be starting back again at the beginning. I did go ahead and order it. It's worth a shot. I am inclined to say that it won't help, but I'll try anything at ths point.

I'll be listening in to see what suggestions you get!

Oh yes! The constant whining is that it's TT fault, that THEY don't know what they are doing. LOL.

85% is my cut-off. With the "try again" option on many questions, there's no excuse for my son to make below 85%. First I figure out why he missed so many problems - careless errors usually, but if there is a learning issue, I reteach of course. Carelessness and/or attitude means I go in and delete the entire lesson and have him redo it.

Thanks! I had originally decided that anything under a 80% required doing it over. I was hoping that was reasonable. @Tammy, when you make him re- do it, is it the same day? It is taking mine about an hour to do a lesson.

It really depends on what kind of day he's having. If he has worked up a roaring frustration, then we wait til the next day. I guess the bad part of that will be when we have to do math thru the summer?!?! But usually there's no point in my forcing him to do it again the same day. He's already let his emotions take over, and the result will be similar. Better to make a fresh start the next day.

We're doing Algebra with a co-op this year and they are only required to do half of the problems for each lesson (odd or even depending on the day's date). If DS13 gets below an 80% on the problems he's required to do I have him complete the other half until he gets to an 80%. If he does the ENTIRE bank of problems for a lesson and gets below an 80%, right now I'm having him save it for his Algebra tutor. Once he's caught up a bit, I'll delete the ones he's missed for the week and have him re-do them on Saturday.

:iagree: This is what I do also.