Menu

Singapore Mental Math

SonshineLearner

HI :) I'm looking for ways to use the Mental Math with Singapore; wondering how others are doing this.... I'm having my son do Singapore Math at school and doing the lessons/school part at home. (Kinda flip-flopped from how you'd do it if it was the school's curriculum) We've been doing Singapore for a long time but I totally have neglected the Mental Math.

Thanks!!

So to use these, as they are meant, you do them orally? I guess that's how I was understanding them. :)

I've just been trying to work this out myself this week. I have two dds at different levels, and am finding we're just not getting to the Mental Math often enough because if I do it orally, it's just that much more time I need to spend one-on-one with them in each math lesson.

I'm thinking of copying the mental math sheets and putting them into clear plastic folders so that they can be written on with dry erase markers. "Copying" means I'll probably end up re-creating them so that I have them electronically because photocopying is just such a pain for me.

.... "Copying" means I'll probably end up re-creating them so that I have them electronically because photocopying is just such a pain for me.

If you're not reselling the book, you could cut out and scan the pages to a .pdf and then copy as needed, perhaps even copy with the problems enlarged. Not sure what that'd be called on your printer.

I think I'll do them orally as I like to have him think through things in his head without writing them down... :)

:)

I found my dd was overwhelmed by the prospect of "mental calculation" in the first two years of Singapore. Even today, in one of her 3A math tests, it actually used the term "mental calculation" and she cringed. I think in her head, she can't quite hold all the bits of information sometimes. So, what I used to do is ask her to do just the first step mentally*, and then we'd continue at the board. After awhile, we started doing the whole problems mentally, with the board as back-up for the ones she just couldn't do in her head.

Maybe that'll help someone else? :)

*For instance, make a 10 before continuing on the board to do the remaining addition or subtraction...

For 3B, I'm having my son do half a page twice a week, which will spread the 15 pages out for about the same number of weeks that the program takes him. I had him do full sheets once a week in 3A and he complained about it and I realized that one column isn't so intimidating. He writes them, but I can definitely see doing them orally with my second son instead based on their learning styles. I'm not doing the 2B mental math with him yet because he's doing the mental math chapter and it would be overkill. I'll use them as a review when he's learning other topics.