Menu

Runaway pencils?

Does anyone else have the problem of pencils just disappearing? I buy pencils in bulk and there are never any when we need them. How do y'all keep up with them?

this year I bought Black Warrior pencils for our school work. They aren't supposed to leave the school room unless I send a boy to another room to work. If I find a Black Warrior outside of the school room I know where it belongs.

Now, the pencils in the kitchen are another story....those disappear. I can never find a pencil up there when I need one.

This is SO the story of my life!! DD will be working in her math workbook, put the pencil down to erase and "poof" the pencil is GONE! Drives me absolutely crazy!! Then we have to spend the next few minutes finding the pencil and getting everyone settled down again. Then the eraser goes missing....

All this makes me want to be the one who gets to run away.... why should the pencils get all the fun?

I'd LOVE to hear if someone has a solution to this!

was to buy each kidlet a .9 mm mechanical pencil and it's been working out well. No one wants to go back to using the yellow pencils so it's been great motivation for them to keep track of their pencil. I also bought cheap pencil bags for each one from Walmart so now they keep their pencil and their big pink eraser in their bag.

Janet

We don't and it irks me. I frequently have experiences like Canada Mom's.

I find pencils stuffed down in the back and sides of the couch and chairs where they migrated when left on the furniture.

I've taken to hiding a few boxes so that when they have all gone to live elsewhere, I have some in reserve. That's because every other great idea I've come up with to keep track of pencils has not worked.

All I know is that pencils are the one thing the dog doesn't eat.

Does anyone else have the problem of pencils just disappearing? I buy pencils in bulk and there are never any when we need them. How do y'all keep up with them?

We do mechanical pencils too, but the first time I bought the big huge cheap pack, but once the erasers are gone they aren't as useful. Trying to keep track of erasers and pencils is too much.:( This time I bought mechanicals that have a twist up eraser that I can replace when it runs out. Every room in our house has a place for pens and pencils, even the bathrooms! That way if I find one wandering it goes in the pencil holder or drawer. That helps.

I keep a handful in a pencil case in our school box (with the day's books & stuff). I keep more in a drawer for the kids to use whenever, and any strays are put back in there.

My MIL has been known to glue a small strip of magnet to the side, to stick them on the fridge. My dad has frequently tied them to the phone with string (pre-cordless era). :)

YES!!!! Last year we went through 48 pencils. I only have three children and we don't do that much writing. LOL!

When I cleaned up the game room over the summer I found a lot of them.

This year we are hanging on to them better but the erasers are gone. Drives me nuts!

YES!!!! Last year we went through 48 pencils. I only have three children and we don't do that much writing. LOL!

When I cleaned up the game room over the summer I found a lot of them.

This year we are hanging on to them better but the erasers are gone. Drives me nuts!

I finally have the big kids (13, 11 and 9 for petessake!) trained pretty well, so the pencil cubby on the Desk Apprentice stays full. But the erasers... Oy. We can never find them...they get lost, eaten, vaporize... who knows!? And they're so territorial with them; wars have erupted in this house over accusation of Pink Pearl thefts! "Mine had the broken corner and the squiggly line on it! She's got my eraser!"

Sorry. We had a rough morning, complete with two Eraser Incidents.

I keep a handful in a pencil case in our school box (with the day's books & stuff). I keep more in a drawer for the kids to use whenever, and any strays are put back in there.

My MIL has been known to glue a small strip of magnet to the side, to stick them on the fridge. My dad has frequently tied them to the phone with string (pre-cordless era). :)

Hmmm...now that's an idea. Maybe we could invent a pencil that you can put on a string that can go around the neck, like a necklace. We can make it like a 5' long string so they don't even have to take it off to do their school work!:p I've always wanted to invent something- maybe this is it! My dh always laughs at my ideas for inventions, but this one may be worth mentioning! Any ideas?

All of our stash of Black Warrior pencils disappeared recently to my great vexation (Austen brain). A few weeks ago, I bought four more. One for me and one for each of my older kids. I told them that we are having a contest. The one who has his/her pencil ready each time it is needed and keeps it bite-mark free will win a prize. I labeled each pencil with the owner's name. It is working so far. Notice that I said this started a few weeks ago? :) My ten year old did step on his pencil and snap it in half, but he taped it up right away and is still using it. My oldest son's eraser has worn out, but he hot-glued a cap eraser to the top which should keep for awhile.

I am a pencil and pen stealer. I come home with pens from the store, bank etc. I feel so bad! I just forget and put them in my purse or pocket.

Now at home, I am always laying them around everywhere. The are never where I remember them to be! I do not do this on purpose - I just forget to put them back. When I straighten up the house, I usually find them and put them back.

I suspect someone in your home is a pencil "thief" like me. I think it is a personality trait. My ds9 seems to be following in my foot steps, he can never find his pencils either!

Adrianne :D

Yes, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, it drives me crazy! I buy a big thing of pencils every 2 or 3 months. I keep them up in the school cabinet and slowly but surely they vanish.

We've had problems w/ missing pencils for years. At least I know the reason. We have a cat that can't resist pencils. If they are on the table, he's gotta knock them off! And once they're on the floor he starts skittering them around until he gets the stuck someplace he can't get to! Once I lifted up my ds's portable dance floor and found about 20 pencils under there!:rolleyes: (No wonder the floor was wobbly!)

he either loses it. OR he breaks off the eraser or lead or ..... It's sooooo frustrating. We are down to just a few erasers because they either break them or lose them too!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I did try mechanical and they don't care, in fact my ds has broken those too.

he breaks off the eraser or lead or ..... It's sooooo frustrating.

Wow, I'd never heard of anyone else's kis breaking off the eraser. Well, I know erasers break, but when I first saw your post I was picturing your ds breaking off the entire eraser along with the metal holder like one of my dc does. Is that what you meant? As I see your quote now I realize it's more likely he just breaks the eraser part...

At the beginning of this year I gave each child a brand new box of Ticonderogas. Each pencil in the box was labeled. One child has a little notepaper reinforcer stuck just underneath the eraser. One child has a ring of navy blue, made with a Sharpie. One child has red nail polish, and another has a ring of green (from a Sharpie.) So now if I find a pencil in the living room, or under the dining room table, or on a dresser or in the car, we immediately know whose pencil it is.

Also, I told them that the first box of pencils was free. Once they go through that box (especially if they lost the pencils rather than used them up) they could buy a new pencil from the "school store" for 50 cents.

They really are doing a better job of keeping up with pencils this year! winking0071.gif

At the beginning of this year I gave each child a brand new box of Ticonderogas. Each pencil in the box was labeled. One child has a little notepaper reinforcer stuck just underneath the eraser. One child has a ring of navy blue, made with a Sharpie. One child has red nail polish, and another has a ring of green (from a Sharpie.) So now if I find a pencil in the living room, or under the dining room table, or on a dresser or in the car, we immediately know whose pencil it is.

Also, I told them that the first box of pencils was free. Once they go through that box (especially if they lost the pencils rather than used them up) they could buy a new pencil from the "school store" for 50 cents.

Great ideas! K was so excited to get a box of pencils with her name on them for her last birthday. You can get them from Current or Oriental Trading at a decent price (I think it was about $3 for 2 dozen of asst'd colors).

Humph! What can I possibly say to her? :confused:

First I want to say that it's nice to see you!! :D

As for the Pencil Pilfering Piano Prof: tie a piece of string around the pencil and then attach the other end to a notebook or a clipboard, or a brick, or your ds, or whatever it takes! :p

We've had problems w/ missing pencils for years. At least I know the reason. We have a cat that can't resist pencils.

That's part of the problem in our house. I was sweeping today and found four pencils under the couch and another couple under the hutch - cat toys all. My dd discovered a couple wedged under the couch cushions (ouch!). That's at least half a package of Black Warriors right there.

They really are doing a better job of keeping up with pencils this year! winking0071.gif

Oh my gosh!! This is SUCH a great idea! I'm implementing it next week!