Menu

Have you tried "Cuil"?

I think it has a long way to go before it even begins to knock on Google's door. Two things I noticed right away are that you can't search on just news stories and can't sort by date. Doesn't do me much good when I'm looking for something on a current local issue and the first page is filled with County Council minutes from meetings in 2004.

I hope they do add more features, though. Google needs some real competition.

I was wondering how to pronounce cuil!

Haven't needed to do any searches yet, but I'll give it a try. It would have to be awfully good to get me to break the habit of using Google.

Michelle T

I gave it a try. I found it very confusing visually, too many boxes on the page, and not easy for me to make sense of it. I prefer the format of Google's results, just a straightforward list of results.

I get boggled by visually "busy" pages, so I'm sure it's just my own perception.

Michelle T

I think it has a long way to go before it even begins to knock on Google's door. Two things I noticed right away are that you can't search on just news stories and can't sort by date. Doesn't do me much good when I'm looking for something on a current local issue and the first page is filled with County Council minutes from meetings in 2004.

Another thing is you need to have your spelling correct (as I'm sure all you classical educators do) with "Cuil". Unlike Goggle, which assumes its users are semi-literates (in my case this is sometimes "handy") and will ask. "do you really mean xxxxx?

Still I'm finding the results interesting.

Bill

Another thing is you need to have your spelling correct (as I'm sure all you classical educators do) with "Cuil". Unlike Goggle, which assumes its users are semi-literates (in my case this is sometimes "handy") and will ask. "do you really mean xxxxx?

:lol: - did you mean to spell it Goggle above, or is that a spelling mistake?! Doubly funny since you were joking about spelling...

Well I tried two terms for local homeschooling and couldn't find the largest homeschooling group in my county but did find obscure blog pages instead. For the other group, again there was no link to it but down the page a link to another search engine which would presumambly link to it.

Funny you should say that....three of the four founders of Cuil are former Google employees. :tongue_smilie:

I gave it a try. I found it very confusing visually, too many boxes on the page, and not easy for me to make sense of it. I prefer the format of Google's results, just a straightforward list of results.

I get boggled by visually "busy" pages, so I'm sure it's just my own perception.

Michelle T

I'm the same way. It didn't do a thing for me. With google you can see more results on a page and scan through them for what you want. The graphics got in the way here and I had to scroll down to see many options.