Menu

(cc) I am so weary of visiting a church and not being able to enjoy the service

lynn

I feel very lucky. I attend a church with three different choirs: the Schola Cantorum (which I sing in), the Latin Mass choir, and the Spanish Mass choir. There is a Mass with a guitar and cantor; but, the guitarist is classically trained. No out of tune instruments or singers (except occasionally and always unintentionally ;) ). Oh, we have "the mighty Rogers" - the "organ" we're using until we can afford to buy and install a true pipe organ. There are hymnals in every pew. No projectors or screens anywhere.

I remember the first Mass the Bishop presided over after being installed. It was in Lent and we always chant Mass X during Lent. I remember the Bishop looking completely surprised and pleased when the congregation (and it was a packed house, as it were) started chanting with the Schola at the appropriate place and correctly. (If you don't understand how chant is sung, the cantle starts and the choir joins in. In some chants there is a section where the cantor again sings solo before the choir comes back in. Then there's how to chant. It can be surprisingly difficult to sing it well.) It was beautiful. What makes it really amazing is that the hymnals used during the Mass the Schola songs don't have the ancient chants in them.

It's a wondrous thing when the congregation and choir chants (or sings hymns) together.

*swoon*

My husband is one of the sound men at our church. It frustrates him that people think they need the sound so loud they can feel it in their chest. He wants to scream that they are supposed to feel the music moving in their spirits/hearts, not physically blowing them off the stage. If they need to have it that loud, he honestly wonders if they could even "hear" the Spirit talking to them.

So, he turns it up because he's ordered to by the music leader and then gets parishioners complaining to him that it's too loud. So, he stands there and agrees and asks them to speak to the music leader. Oh, the vicious cycle. Sometimes I wish I had never married a sound man.

Sometimes as a church singer, if the sound is not set up properly, this is what happens.

Since you are singing into a large room, your voice just gets lost. You need to be able to hear yourself. So you need the monitors (speakers that face back to the performers) turned up adequately. That helps you follow the music, whether it is taped or coming through the sound system from another musician's instruments. I can tell when we have a sound guy that doesn't know what he's doing. He will turn up the congregational speakers loud enough so the performer can hear everything from those speakers, but while the singer can her herself, the audience is blown away from the sound.

This is probably not what you all are discussing though. I think that you are all talking about the atmosphere. Perhaps these performers have ruined their hearing from years of blaring music?

It seems that many churches have this either/ or dichotomy. It's either all loud rock concert or quiet hymns that some people find boring. Why is it so hard to find a middle ground that suits everyone?

Totally agree.

We recently started attending a new church that sings hymns only, in an actual hymn book, to the music of one pianist. It is reverent, worshipful and beautiful.

My ds came back from his youth group at our old church recently complaining about the music. He knows as soon as the pastor closes the sermon the musicians will start playing in the background. He calls it "emotionally manipulative music".

Just for fun (it made me laugh):

THAT was hysterical.

My kids went to visit my mom's church, a teeny little country church that seats about 50, and they said the music was so loud they never wanted to go back. They wanted to go to the evening Mass to have church.

Do you think that some of us who don't care for the music just have a different expectation of worship? I'm probably guilty of this. I want to reflect when I go to church. I like small numbers of people, not large groups. I'd love it like anything if at certain places in reflection I could quietly kneel down and pray without everyone around me wanting to touch me or comfort me or wonder what in heaven's name "she was convicted of!" Sometime I just want to talk to GOD, people! And when I sing, I want to be able to sing at my best, with clarity, with a full experience of the words, and the comfort of knowing those words in my heart when I sing, reading them on the page in front of me like reading a book I know by heart and love.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. For me, talking to God is a quiet thing. Singing when I don't know the tune is uncomfortable, and doesn't feel like I'm giving my best. But that's just me. My friends who attend our contemporary service feel something different when they dim the lights, crank up the praise band, and do their best to sing along. The noise that is distracting to me is a celebration to them. I can understand that without feeling it myself.

I also noticed that you also have twins. I wonder if this contributes to our desire for a time of quiet contemplation once a week. ;)

ETA: You might want to see if there are any Quaker / Friends meetings near you. Some of their meetings are entirely silent, with no set program, and people only speaking when they feel moved to do so.

Having a foster teen with very little church background I can see now more how a contemporary service appeals to some people. I struggle with the balance.

The one we attended yesterday had GREAT music--in skill of musicians, good songs, etc. but it was presented more like a concert. 1/2 the time the congregation didn't know the songs and/or didn't know if they were supposed to sing along or not. The volume was way too loud and we were in the very back row as far away from any speakers as possible. I really miss the great hymns though. The pastor tied one in while he was talking and it would have been a perfect fit for us to sing that..........but we didn't.

Also, it might be just this church but it seems like the contemporary services go more with a "lighter" message from the Pastor. It was all Biblical but very light-----like the milk mentioned in the Bible. Good for those newer Christians and seekers but I wonder if we will find more meat later.

Our first visit to our local parish was so peaceful because the music was so different. I also found out my girls didn't know how to follow along in a hymnal. It was something I never thought of until then.

Yes! We go to the contemporary service (because I'm too lazy to get 6 kids up and get to the traditional early service). We went to Lenten service and my kid had no idea how to follow along with the missal, and they didn't know that the hymnal actually helped me sing the song (by reading the music). I think we need to drag ourselves out of bed a few times.

(Though the lack of nursery for my extremely active 2 yr old at the early service is a factor as well.)

I don't mind contemporary worship services at all. Ours is fairly contemporary, we do hymns as well. I think we have a good balance and the music teams generally do a decent job. I do have a soft spot for beautiful old hymns and choirs, but they can be done badly too!

I DO mind going to church where they spend 3/4 of the entire service on 'worship' - which is apparently defined 'only music' - especially where the 'worship team' is just putting on a concert and disregarding any responsibility to LEAD the congregation. I especially resent it if the sermon is short and sketchy, and I get angry if after being blared at by expensive sound and visual systems (big screens, flashing lights etc.) I am guilted about giving money to the poor children's sunday school room that hasn't been built yet.

I don't mind "contemporary" music. I mind music that is really "music," where it's loud with lots of instruments to make up for the fact that the lyrics are poorly written and meatless.

I enjoy a good round of "Rejoice in the Lord Always," :-) but preferably on a Wednesday night or home Bible study. During the Official Service, I want music that has depth (and more than five syllables :glare: ).

That's funny, because I'm the exact opposite. If I walk into a church service and the music is NOT rocking, I will promptly turn around and never look back. But I'm a drummer, I like it loud. :)

Fortunately, we've found a home church that fits my family perfectly. But church hunting was definitely a scary thing when we had to do it.

Whew! Starting to think I was the only one who likes it loud ;)

I love a jammin' praise music because that's how I go deeper. Obviously it's not for everyone, lol, but this works well for us. Plus, that way I can sing loudly without anyone hearing me--then I don't have to think about how I sound but can focus on God.

The song service is probably 80% of the reason we no longer attend church. We thought we had found a church because they 'advertised' their service as traditional hymns...yep that one hymn was during the offertory. The other hour+ was ear-piercing let's act like Jesus is deaf today 'singing'. I want to find a church that preaches the word of God and the goal of worship service is not to get people riled up to pep rally mentality.

This is exactly why my daughter and I are not attending church at all at the moment. It is next to impossible to find a church that has the same beliefs we do that doesn't blare the music to the point of giving me a headache.

I'm sorry, Luanne. I hope you two can find something more worshipful.

Gimme that old time religion!

I attend a fairly conservative church (we do hymns and the occasional "special music"), and I choose the 8:30am Sunday service, which is the "traditional" one (mostly full of old people!). Even in our conservative church, I find the Thursday night service ("contemporary praise?") off-putting. I'm 46 and it's winter; I don't want to hear hippie campfire music. Sometimes I have to sit through this, thanks to my kids' bell or voice choir schedule. I don't like the way it makes me feel - completely irreverent and distracted from the message. I don't go to church to feel that way.

Sometimes as a church singer, if the sound is not set up properly, this is what happens.

Since you are singing into a large room, your voice just gets lost. You need to be able to hear yourself. So you need the monitors (speakers that face back to the performers) turned up adequately. That helps you follow the music, whether it is taped or coming through the sound system from another musician's instruments. I can tell when we have a sound guy that doesn't know what he's doing. He will turn up the congregational speakers loud enough so the performer can hear everything from those speakers, but while the singer can her herself, the audience is blown away from the sound.

This is probably not what you all are discussing though. I think that you are all talking about the atmosphere. Perhaps these performers have ruined their hearing from years of blaring music?

It seems that many churches have this either/ or dichotomy. It's either all loud rock concert or quiet hymns that some people find boring. Why is it so hard to find a middle ground that suits everyone?

I don't think it's possible to find a middle ground that suits everyone. For one thing, I don't like any church music that involves speakers or miked singers (unless it is a huge cathedral and you have a soloist during a choir number).

I don't like only quiet church music. Some hymns are quite rousing!

I don't like only quiet church music. Some hymns are quite rousing!

Amen to that. Lo in the Grave He Lay is one of my favorites. How do you not get worked up singing that one? But it isn't the decibel level that stirs up the joy. It's the words and the truth in them.

Totally agree.

We recently started attending a new church that sings hymns only, in an actual hymn book, to the music of one pianist. It is reverent, worshipful and beautiful.

My ds came back from his youth group at our old church recently complaining about the music. He knows as soon as the pastor closes the sermon the musicians will start playing in the background. He calls it "emotionally manipulative music".

Just for fun (it made me laugh):

Lol, that video. So true.

"Emotionally manipulative" is true. I had roommates and friends in my Christian college who did praise&worship. They often discussed how certain tempos of certain songs in certain order would create different moods. This isn't rocket science or intentionally deceitful, bands use this principle all the time when planning an album or concert set. But when it comes to Christian worship. if you're getting a ecstatic "high" or a spirit of "conviction" is might not be the Holy Spirit, it might just be the music you're hearing.

We went the whole advent/ Christmas season without singing a complete Christmas carol. We sang adaptations and new contemporary Christmas carols. We got a couple of carols the Sunday or two after Christmas. It made me very sad. That has always been my favorite time of year in church. Christmas carols. Sigh...

Beth