Menu

Patty Paper Geometry, Pre-Geometry for younger student?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used Patty Paper Geometry with a younger child? I am considering it for a Pre-Geometry.

ds11 has strong math skills, loves origami and is always asking about geometry. He is finishing up TabletClass Pre-A which is pretty demanding. I plan to have him start algebra soon and then introduce a pre-Geometry at some point. I also plan on having him do an extended Algebra 1 program with TabletClass and AoPS or another supplemental like Foerster.

I am just wondering if anyone has used PPG *before* finishing Algebra 1 or as a Pre-Geometry? From what I've read it doesn't seem like a complete geometry course. Is its S&S not really considered complete?

Thanks,

I have no clue, as I suspect it wouldn't work for my kids due to fine motor issues. I just wanted to pipe in about the three geometry chapters in AoPS Prealgebra (ch 10, 11, 12), since I think you might already have that book. They are excellent for some pre-Geometry and I think they may be easier than other chapters (though I sometimes wonder whether that depends on the strengths of the individual student).

Wapiti, thanks for this. I'm actually thinking we will use those three AoPS chapters during PreA, even though we probably won't do the whole rest of the AoPS book. I really like the way those guys teach Geometry. I did the 2 Geometry chapters in Beast Academy with dd at the beginning of this year, and they were really excellent. I do think geometry is the weakest part of MM, so will probably do the chapters you suggested instead of the geometry portion of MM6. So, thanks!

I have no clue, as I suspect it wouldn't work for my kids due to fine motor issues. I just wanted to pipe in about the three geometry chapters in AoPS Prealgebra (ch 10, 11, 12), since I think you might already have that book. They are excellent for some pre-Geometry and I think they may be easier than other chapters (though I sometimes wonder whether that depends on the strengths of the individual student).

Wapiti, that's interesting to know about AoPS Pre-A. Unfortunately I don't have that book. We do however own the intro to Algebra AoPS text.

I am more interesting in PPG because ds11 loves origami and making things with his hands. As far as fine motor issues that would not be a problem at all. He literally spends hours folding advanced origami projects. We actually had to dicipline him today for staying up too late last night working on his latest origami project! lol :tongue_smilie:

Wapiti, that's interesting to know about AoPS Pre-A. Unfortunately I don't have that book. We do however own the intro to Algebra AoPS text.

While there is nothing comparable to the Pre-A geometry lessons in the Intro to Alg book, there are always the pre-a videos and, of course, alcumus.

Good luck with PPG!

I am more interesting in PPG because ds11 loves origami and making things with his hands. As far as fine motor issues that would not be a problem at all. He literally spends hours folding advanced origami projects. We actually had to dicipline him today for staying up too late last night working on his latest origami project! lol :tongue_smilie:

This sounds familiar! :)

You might find this recent thread relevant.

I have also listed other pre-geometry resources we used in that thread.

Hope that helps Derek!

Another resource to look into, also by the Key Press folks, is Discovering Geometry.

I think (from hearsay) that it goes a level deeper than PPG but is not as proof heavy as some of the other geometry curricula, and hence, could be a good pre-geometry resource. Or you might be able to stretch out geometry for a very interested child, before he is ready for heavier proofs.

Might be a good idea to search for posts by Sue in St Pete. I believe she used Discovering Geometry with her son.

I did a quick search: here's one thread that I found. You might find others. Good luck!

Thanks Quark. It looks like you used a variety of resources for a Pre-Geometry of sorts including PPG.

I looked into Discovering Geometry briefly and while it looks fun I'm not sure it would be enough as a complete course. It seems to have a number of folks that both love it and dislike it quite a bit. While Sue in St. Pete seemed happy with it for example MathWonk didn't think as highly of it. This may be in part due to its lighter approach toward proofs among other things. I found this one math instructors poor review of it to give me pause for thought as well:

http://www.amazon.co...ords=1559534591

For the full course I'm leaning more towards Jacobs, AoPS or other options. Right now I'm only looking at Pre-Geometry stuff like PPG for the paper folding fun aspects while learning some fundamentals.

Dd absolutely hated Patty Paper Geometry. We did about 1/4 of it when she was 11. She said it wasn't "real math" and begged to abandon it. So we did.

That was near the end of fifth grade. We finished the year with various competition math books, then started with AoPS books that next fall :)

I personally don't think students would find PPG meaningful by itself. Where my dd has found its value is when she does them in connection to the associated theorem/proof.....to see the relationships. Otherwise it is probably more like just doing an origami b/c w/o relating the PPG to the theorem and applying the theorem to proofs, it seems rather pointless.

I just wanted to pipe in about the three geometry chapters in AoPS Prealgebra (ch 10, 11, 12), since I think you might already have that book. They are excellent for some pre-Geometry and I think they may be easier than other chapters (though I sometimes wonder whether that depends on the strengths of the individual student).

What would you recommend to use after those chapters? My older has not done the challenge problems for those chapters yet. However I would like to borrow from the library books to review so that I have choices on hand when he is done.

I looked into Discovering Geometry briefly and while it looks fun I'm not sure it would be enough as a complete course.

I don't think I would have chosen it to be a complete course either. I was trying to think of other possible pre-geometry resources for you. DS obviously wanted a proof heavy geometry so we eased into that by first giving him several different resources to work from. That Hands On Geometry workbook linked in that thread I mentioned was particularly helpful to him.

How cool that you will be getting your PPG soon from a forum member! Hope your DS enjoys it. I checked with mine (our PPG was primarily unschooled) and although he did like it at one time, he says he didn't want to finish the book before moving on to geometry. He sometimes uses the patty paper for paper-folding or to demonstrate geometry concepts before working out the proof but he no longer uses the paper with the PPG book.

Speaking of origami, have you already watched Between The Folds?

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/between-the-folds/

It streams instantly on Netflix.

If you haven't, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Good luck!