Menu

what is your 12 year old daughter reading for fun these days??

My 12yo daughter just finished Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Totally not like the 50 Shades of Gray adult book :laugh:

It is about a 15 year old Lithuanian girl who, along with her brother and mother, are taken by the Soviet police to Sibera along with many others from their country. It is about their fight to stay alive and reunite with their families.

It's probably a little bit under her reading level, but she couldn't put it down and finished it in one day. Although she still reads the "fluff" books occasionally, she also enjoys historical fiction.

I believe my Daughter has now finished the Dragon Slippers trilogy by Jessica Day George which is kinda fluffy. She is reading the Hobbit and rereading Ruby Holler. (she says this one is because she can't decide which of her other books to read next)

After posting this I realized my signature is very outdated. :)

For fun dd is reading Christy Miller. Unfortunately this is her favorite stuff to read for fun. For school assigned reading dd has read, As You Like It, Robinson Crusoe, and Wind in the Willows, (for the third time but this time we used a Memoria Press Guide) lately. BTW, I do not care for the Memoria Press Guides. I bought them from Rainbow Resources and the Robinson Crusoe translation they sold me did not match the guide, so we had a very hard time following it. That was not the only problem, and maybe it was the fault of RR, but I did not care for them much.

My daughter loved everything from Gene Stratton Porter when she was about 12. Also the Dear America Series, Anne of Green Gables, Cherry Ames, Sue Barton (she loves nursing books) anything by Louisa May Alcott, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Hiding Place (maybe a little older for content here)Jane Eyre, Night and Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry. (Any historical fiction really)

I can't keep the kid stocked with enough books...she's 15 now so it's even harder as I'm particular as to the content she reads.

Last year my dd went on a mystery kick (well this year too, hehe). There was a series The Lady Grace Mysteries that she really liked. Not hard reads, but enjoyable and historical. This year her whole world is Tolkien.

The lady Grace series looks interesting...is there an order to the books....or doesnt' it matter?

wow...my amazon cart is getting full....thanks. Any other ones i need to consider??? A little about my daughter that might help with ideas too...she likes to read books about helping other or about the "under dog" rising up at the end. She love books that show a strong family life or kids doing the right thing. She likes animal stories and mysteries that aren't scary or spooky. She is very tender hearted and isn't into sports. She likes adventure, but not too suspensful. She also like some historical fiction, but not books that are hard to read because of a dilect or verbage that is very period oreinted (did that make sense?). Sci Fi is also not her big interest.

Thanks again for all of these ideas....some of them fit, others not so much....but that is ok....there are so many books "out there" it's hard to know where to start.

My 11 yo is currently enjoying:

Erec Rex series

Nancy Farmer's The Ear, the Eye & the Arm and A Girl Called Disaster

T. A. Barron's various Merlin series (recently re-released as one series)

Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur series

the Jeeves and Wooster novels/stories (a perennial favourite)

The Cat Whiskered Girl

the Alex Rider series

ETA: And M. T. Anderson's Game of Sunken Places series. I don't know the actual series name.