Menu

where to go with math

gracesteacher

My 6.5 is finishing Gamma in MUS and is likely to breeze thru Delta although we are taking a break and doing Beast Academy. She is saying that MUS is really easy and she is bored with it. She does do IP and challenging word problems and another workbook along with life of fred (she does one supplement a day not all of them but may if I let her)

Where do I go next? She saw me looking at BA and thought it looked fun.

Should we keep using MUS or is there a more challenging program that fits a active I dance while I write pictures on the page distract me kinda girl

Thanks

I don't know if I'd used MUS with an accelerated math learner.

Beast Academy would be a natural suggestion for someone already working with that level of material -- I can't tell if you're using it already, or if you've just been looking at it?

Other easy-to-accelerate / challenging programs seem to be Singapore and Math Mammoth. MEP is challenging and deep, but a bit hard to accelerate because it's spiral in nature.

My husband is the primary teacher while I work. He is just do the next assignment kinda teacher. Her and I were talking and she was telling me how bored she was and how easy math (and english) is.

We are planning to start Beast in Mid March but were doing this as "fun" school. The work we do between finishing our year and the beginning of the next year

We tried MEP but hubby had trouble with it because it is not his style of math. She seemed to find it easy. I may have to revisit that. I will have him look at MM and Singapore

I am not gifted and especially not in math as I struggle in with it.

Thanks

My husband is the primary teacher while I work. He is just do the next assignment kinda teacher. Her and I were talking and she was telling me how bored she was and how easy math (and english) is.

We are planning to start Beast in Mid March but were doing this as "fun" school. The work we do between finishing our year and the beginning of the next year

We tried MEP but hubby had trouble with it because it is not his style of math. She seemed to find it easy. I may have to revisit that. I will have him look at MM and Singapore

I am not gifted and especially not in math as I struggle in with it.

Thanks

Beast Academy is a great program, but its publishing schedule might not keep pace with your student. It's fairly independent.

If your husband is a "do the next assignment" kind of person, then Math Mammoth might be a good choice because it's designed to be more independent. My dds didn't take to it because it was too visually overwhelming, but it's still a solid program. Something to watch for with accelerated kids especially is that you're not expecting the student to do every problem on a page -- it's designed to have more problems than needed so that if a student needs extra practice, it's right there.

I love Singapore, but I think that one of the strengths is the Home Instructor's Guide and the lessons that it helps me give to my students. It may not be ideal in a situation where the student is working so independently.

What do you mean visually overwhelming? That was "fight" they had with MEP was she was coloring things in rather than working on the problems (that was the appeal of MUS it is plain)

We have her do even or odd but if she just doesnt do well then she has to do the other set. Alot days she just does them all because she hates to leaves things undone :001_smile:

I really appreciate your help. Kinda feeling like I am chasing behind her

Saxon might be what you're looking for. Christian Books and other sites have the "see inside" feature so you can see what a lesson looks like. No pictures to color. But then again, I don't know anything about the levels of math you're using and I'm not familiar with the early elementary texts for Saxon either. On Saxon's site, there's a free placement test available to give you an idea of where she's at in their texts. Then you can look at a lesson in that book and see what you both think. If after taking the test you're not sure where she should start, you can call Saxon and speak with a math teacher for some guidance. Wanting to do all the problems is a good trait for Saxon to work well.

What do you mean visually overwhelming? That was "fight" they had with MEP was she was coloring things in rather than working on the problems (that was the appeal of MUS it is plain)

We have her do even or odd but if she just doesnt do well then she has to do the other set. Alot days she just does them all because she hates to leaves things undone :001_smile:

I really appreciate your help. Kinda feeling like I am chasing behind her

Math Mammoth was visually overwhelming just because the pages have a lot of information on them. They're not pretty; just full, and my kids preferred the white space on the Singapore pages. I think you can get some MM samples to look at and see if your student responds to them.

You said she's using the Singapore IP? How does that work for her?

FWIW, Saxon (mentioned in a pp) is a very plain looking program (that could be good), but it's incremental and spiral, so challenging to accelerate.